Rotary Cutter for Grand L4060

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
4" is a lot, and you will notice it. I am not a fan of quick hitches for this very reason.

No, the driveline does not include the gearbox but the advertised weight will not include optional chains which will probably add 150 Lbs.

I expect that you will need front weights.

SDT
I'll call the dealer tomorrow to inquire about front weights. These chains you're referring too, are they safety chains or the front and rear guard chains that are already on the cutter?

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
You may get into a situation where you need to raise the mower off the ground (hitting a rock/stump/...) and need to steer. The weight of the mower will make the front light and steering difficult. You can use brake steering if your tractor has that feature. But I know I felt more secure when I got enough weight on front.

You can try it in controlled process and see how it feels and steers then decide what to do.
Thanks. I don't think the MX has brake steering. I'll take your and SDT's advice re the front weights. There appears to be no end with this new tractor and all the attachments ... but it sure is fun! Once I have this sorted I should be done with MX related expenses for a while. I can't imagine needing anything else that's not on the list of what I have or have ordered below.
  • Land Pride 96" hydraulic angle snow blade
  • Land Pride 96" rear blade
  • Land Pride Quick Hitch
  • Land Pride 84" rotary cutter
  • EA Wicked 60" root & rake grapple (ordered)
  • EA 84" Severe Xtreme Duty box blade (ordered)
  • 3rd function valve
  • Three rear remotes
  • Top-n-tilt

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Thanks. I don't think the MX has brake steering. I'll take your and SDT's advice re the front weights. There appears to be no end with this new tractor and all the attachments ... but it sure is fun! Once I have this sorted I should be done with MX related expenses for a while. I can't imagine needing anything else that's not on the list of what I have or have ordered below.
  • Land Pride 96" hydraulic angle snow blade
  • Land Pride 96" rear blade
  • Land Pride Quick Hitch
  • Land Pride 84" rotary cutter
  • EA Wicked 60" root & rake grapple (ordered)
  • EA 84" Severe Xtreme Duty box blade (ordered)
  • 3rd function valve
  • Three rear remotes
  • Top-n-tilt
Actually, just about any tractor (not BX) has individual brakes, sometimes called steering brakes.

If your tractor has individual left and right brake pedals (it does), it has steering brakes. If the front wheels slide when attempting to turn, simply apply the brake lightly on the side to which you wish to turn. Experiment a bit at slow speed to get the knack of it.

There is nothing wrong with trying your tractor/mower combination before buying front weights, just be careful when lifting the mower, especially when going up hill. Be advised, that installation of front weights will require removal of the FEL. Many folks simply leave the FEL in place, usually removing the bucket, while mowing to add weight to the front of the tractor. Front weights are expensive. Might want to experiment a bit first.

SDT

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Actually, just about any tractor (not BX) has individual brakes, sometimes called steering brakes.

If your tractor has individual left and right brake pedals (it does), it has steering brakes. If the front wheels slide when attempting to turn, simply apply the brake lightly on the side to which you wish to turn. Experiment a bit at slow speed to get the knack of it.

There is nothing wrong with trying your tractor/mower combination before buying front weights, just be careful when lifting the mower, especially when going up hill. Be advised, that installation of front weights will require removal of the FEL. Many folks simply leave the FEL in place, usually removing the bucket, while mowing to add weight to the front of the tractor. Front weights are expensive. Might want to experiment a bit first.

SDT
Well that's embarrasing! :oops: The sales rep told me that I could separate the two pedals but didn't mention that the brake pedals were independent and I didn't bother to think about why you'd want to do that. As you mentioned, my little BX only has one brake pedal. I'm learning every day on this forum.

I want to run around with the bucket close to the deck to "catch" obstructions so will I not be able to do that with front weights? I'm not understanding why the FEL has to be removed to install front weights or why the bucket has to be removed. I'll Google Kubota and front end weights.

Thanks.

brakes.jpg

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
When I mow a field for the first time I run the bucket low and go slow. Those tree stumps can come out of nowhere. Mostly mowing in a clock wise pattern so that I can watch forward and to the right for the next path. Plus it will bend over the shrubs and small trees make the chances of damage to the bottom of the tractor less likely.

Why would you remove a FEL to mow a pasture only to hang weights on the front? If I mowed in a confined area maybe but not for a field. Plus I have a grapple on the bucket that is pretty handy to move large limbs etc that might be in the field.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
When I mow a field for the first time I run the bucket low and go slow. Those tree stumps can come out of nowhere. Mostly mowing in a clock wise pattern so that I can watch forward and to the right for the next path. Plus it will bend over the shrubs and small trees make the chances of damage to the bottom of the tractor less likely.

Why would you remove a FEL to mow a pasture only to hang weights on the front? If I mowed in a confined area maybe but not for a field. Plus I have a grapple on the bucket that is pretty handy to move large limbs etc that might be in the field.
I called the dealer this morning to ask about front weights with the rotary cutter. He mentioned that the FEL is 1,000 lb or thereabouts (I have the HD bucket and bolt on cutting edge) and that I probably won't need weights. He told me that they sell very few weights because they're awkward to move around and they're expensive. That said, if I need them I'll buy them.

The grapple I have on order is 400 lb but I'd rather cut the field with the bucket on. When I encounter a mound of dirt and rocks from badgers, ground squirrels or voles I can flatten it with the bucket. I won't encounter any stumps but mounds of dirt, rocks and boulders sticking partially out of the ground for sure. A few years ago I spent a couple of hours locating and marking large boulders with t-posts so that a spraying contractor I hired wouldn't wreck his equipment. Those posts are still there and will help me too.

I really appreciate all the advice and will start out with the FEL and no front weights and see how it goes. All of the parts for the third rear remote are in and the MX is going back to the dealer on Monday for the installation. They're going to hook up the rotary cutter and drop it back to me in that configuration. I could be running this beast within a week! I'm keen to get the lower field cut so that I can start on the new driveway.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Maneuverability.

I have lots of trees around which I mow, requiring repetitive steering, direction changes, etc.

Some of my ground is steep and all of my mowers are heavy, so I always remove the FELs on all of my mowing tractors (except the e M9960 which is used with a BW) and install front weights in the spring, reversing the process in the fall.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Well that's embarrasing! :oops: The sales rep told me that I could separate the two pedals but didn't mention that the brake pedals were independent and I didn't bother to think about why you'd want to do that. As you mentioned, my little BX only has one brake pedal. I'm learning every day on this forum.

I want to run around with the bucket close to the deck to "catch" obstructions so will I not be able to do that with front weights? I'm not understanding why the FEL has to be removed to install front weights or why the bucket has to be removed. I'll Google Kubota and front end weights.

Thanks.

View attachment 56912
Your bucket need not be removed but when mowing familiar areas where the bucked is not needed as a bumper for unforeseen obstacles, doing so improves maneuverability (tractor/mower package is shorter).

On all of my tractors, front weights interfere with the FEL requiring that the weights (and sometimes the front weight bracket) be removed in order to install the FEL.

SDT

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Your bucket need not be removed but when mowing familiar areas where the bucked is not needed as a bumper for unforeseen obstacles, doing so improves maneuverability (tractor/mower package is shorter).

On all of my tractors, front weights interfere with the FEL requiring that the weights (and sometimes the front weight bracket) be removed in order to install the FEL.

SDT
OK ... thanks for the explanation.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
And in my defense, I said “may need weight on front end” not “you need to buy weights to put on the front end”. But I did put that second statement into people’s head. I have an older small tractor with no front end loader so don’t remember that the other 99% of you guys already have an extra weight up front with those “fancy” fels.

You won’t need to purchase weight rack or weights if you’re in open areas.

I also have wooded fields with fencing so if I did have the fel I would be struggling not to tear something up while mowing. I already whack enough things making turns and the mower swinging instead of following (like a trailer).

Sorry for planting that seed of additional purchase into your head.

But do practice making turns with the mower on and away from valuable parts of your estate or you may get into damaging things. (And it’s really not if but when that will happen!)

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
And in my defense, I said “may need weight on front end” not “you need to buy weights to put on the front end”. But I did put that second statement into people’s head. I have an older small tractor with no front end loader so don’t remember that the other 99% of you guys already have an extra weight up front with those “fancy” fels.

I also have wooded fields with fencing so if I did have the fel I would be struggling not to tear something up while mowing. I already whack enough things making turns and the mower swinging instead of following (like a trailer).

But do practice making turns with the mower on and away from valuable parts of your estate or you may get into damaging things. (And it’s really not if but when that will happen!)
Agreed.

Just about everyone hits obstacles with the cutter from time when turning.

The trick it to not do so too often and, especially, too hard.

SDT

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

It was a good point you raised and something that I hadn't thought about. Now if you guys can figure out how I could use that rotary cutter safely on some very steep hills I'll be all set! :p

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
It was a good point you raised and something that I hadn't thought about. Now if you guys can figure out how I could use that rotary cutter safely on some very steep hills I'll be all set! :p
Frankly, reading your earlier responses, I believe that you are well on your way to experienced tractor/mower ownership.

Take your time, moving slowly for awhile.

Wisdom comes with experience.

SDT

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Frankly, reading your earlier responses, I believe that you are well on your way to experienced tractor/mower ownership.

Take your time, moving slowly for awhile.

Wisdom comes with experience.

SDT
There was a big fire on my neighbors 160 acre property yesterday with over 50 acres burned. He lives in PA so I was on the phone to him, called the local fire department, called 911 and spent most of the afternoon and early evening watching and waiting to see if the fire would jump to my field. I was wondering if I wouldn't get to use the rotary cutter after all.

I'll be extremely cautious once I start mowing and fortunately turning won't be much of a problem since there are few obstacles.

I'll provide some kind of report later next week once the tractor is back from the dealer.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
So what about the OP? Any update on your rotary cutter decision?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The dealer picked up the MX this morning to install the third rear remote and hook up the rotary cutter. I took off the Quick Hitch this morning in 25F windy, bone-chilling weather thinking I'd run the cutter directly off the 3-point only to be informed by the dealer that the cutter, specifically the articulating top link, works better on the Quick Hitch. So I put it back on before they got here.

One of the older mechanics came out to do the pick up and I was able to quiz him on various aspects of the tractor. He's very knowledgeable and was able to answer all of my questions. I got the impression that he's someone I'd want working on my tractor.

The tractor and rotary cutter should be here tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest. I'll be sure to post a photo or two.

Last edited:

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Bush Hog. Build like a anchor. I'm sure all the otters are just a as well made but I stick with BH because of customer service.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The beast is back! The third rear remote is installed. I've been reading the manual and learning how to set up the cutter. It's a big cutter but the MX seems to handle the weight without any trouble, and the FEL seems to keep the front down. Here are a few photos to give a better idea of the size.

I need to find a way to level the Quick Hitch with the top-n-tilt and mark the position ... at least, I think I do.

1.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Final update on my rotary cutter saga:

Thanks to all who steered me towards a rotary cutter and away from a grooming mower, particularly @SDT . I set up the rotary cutter this morning with about 6-1/2" cut height at the front and 7-1/2" at the rear and took it for a spin! Dust and grass cuttings aside it's a lot of fun running up and down the field on the MX. I can see that this set up is going to work well but it's definitely not a couple of hours work. It's exciting that I'm finally able to take care of this field. I hope to spray it for weeds at some point this year.

The MX easily handles the weight of the cutter and seems to soak up the uneven terrain without issue. Once I've done the entire 15 or so acres and located or removed major obstacles I might be able to lower the cutter an inch or two. I've been using the bucket to cut and remove mounds of dirt as I encounter them. These mounds were created by various critters but the bucket seems to work well for this.

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Glad you enjoyed the first time out shreddin.

Since you have an open cab tractor you may want to look into two more minor purchases. First is hearing protection and second is some method to keep hydrated.

I use a back pack style hydration system from Camel Back so my hands are free and I won’t drop the bottle.

I use a blue tooth headset that blocks sound and I can listen to music on my smartphone. The ones I use are 3M brand

Reactions: 1 users