Plugged in?

Eddy98

Equipment
Bx25dlb
Feb 26, 2021
Canada
Bx25 starts in cold weather but quits within 2 mins. Changed filters, checked fuel pump. Would try to start but not enough fuel. Could not get enough fuel to bleed. Stymied. Working outside. Pushed into portable shed. Just for laughs plugged in block heater. Left overnight. Next morning turned key and with some sputtering it started. Ok. Fixed itself. Left machine. Next day started Kubota. Fired up. Within 2 mins. Stalled again. Long story short: if I do not plug in the block heater for at least 2 hrs. Bx25 will not stay running. Electronic issue?

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Cold fuel gelling? Do you use an additive? What grade of fuel?

Reactions: 1 user

Eddy98

Equipment
Bx25dlb
Feb 26, 2021
Canada
Where in Canada?

Why do you say you have winter grade? Where it you buy it and when?

Dave
I live in eastern Ontario. Gets quite cold her. Usually buy my fuel at gas station. Diesel fuel suppliers change fuel to match temperature. Winter grade(as I understand it) flows easier and is not supposed to gel.

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
How cold is the ambient temperature?

Thermostat stuck wide open?

Eddy98

Equipment
Bx25dlb
Feb 26, 2021
Canada
How cold is the ambient temperature?

Thermostat stuck wide open?
Right now it is about -8 Celsius. Tomorrow is supposed to warm up. Could be above freezing. Ambient temp. where the machine is -the same as it is outside. I don’t know about the thermostat. Heat bars stay at 2 when I am running. Always has. All seasons. (Except of course if I am really working it in hot weather). The thermostat would not account for no fuel flow. Why only flow after it is plugged in? Warm engine does not help the fuel tank back filter or pump.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Bx25 ... Could not get enough fuel to bleed.
BX's have inline filter under tractor, hydro cooling fan creates additional air flow around filter. I use anti gel products in winter and biocide year round.

Search website on relocating BX fuel filter. I plan to replace 1st inline filter with a B model fuel filter. It can be visually inspected on occasion.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
When was the last time you changes both filters, as it sounds like water in the fuel filters or separator.

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
If you are in Eastern Ontario buying relatively fresh fuel from a local station, then I would imagine the fuel should be an appropriate mix for the season. But just in case, have a look and see if it is cloudy at all. If so, then plugging in the engine overnight may warm a nearby fuel tank just enough to prevent clouding. Cloudy fuel could clog a fuel filter.

A wide open thermostat will not directly affect the fuel. But I wonder if a massive flow of chilled coolant is sufficient to prevent ignition.

The third thing that comes to mind is frost plugging the fuel cap vent. You could try loosening the cap.

Reactions: 1 users

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Winter grade. Have used sea foam additive but after issue with stalling.
Is there sea foam in the fuel now? At the 1 oz/gal ratio? (or 150ml/20L)

And which vendor do you use for your fuel? It can make a difference I've found. I always use our local Shell, and when in town we're Co-op members. Both Shell and Red River Co-op's fuels have never given me problems any time of year.

And all my gas or diesel jerry cans are treated at the pump with Sea Foam. 150 ml per 20L can. Thus treated my years-old fuels still runs like fresh. A fantastic stabilizer.

And I would change both fuel filters too, as recommended already.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I too live in eastern Ontario.

Service stations are not the best places to buy diesel in the winter as their stock does not turn over fast enough.

Big truck stops fuel is in far better sync with the weather.

I have a bulk tank which I have filled by McEwen. I pay more for what they market as their -40F blend but never have to add other chemicals to prevent gelling.

I use the same fuel all year round.

Your symptoms sure sound like the ones we hear every year.

Often the Ops story is "I bought the 25 liter tank of diesel in the fall."

Now it is -20C or more and fuel is gelling with engine ymptoms like yours.

Dave

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Sea Foam’s own literature indicate it is NOT suitable for anti-gel below 10-F.... which means it AINT much as an anti-gel.

Quote from Sea Foam: “ As far as diesel gelling goes, it will help a bit but if less than 10F be sure to use anti-gel diesel fuel or an anti-gel treatment that’s specialized for colder temps.”

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Sea Foam’s own literature indicate it is NOT suitable for anti-gel below 10-F.... which means it AINT much as an anti-gel.

Quote from Sea Foam: “ As far as diesel gelling goes, it will help a bit but if less than 10F be sure to use anti-gel diesel fuel or an anti-gel treatment that’s specialized for colder temps.”
GeoHorn,

Note the description in your Sea Foam quote: "...less than 10F..."

Normal convention is to say -10F for temps below zero, and 10F for temps above zero.

Saying 10-F is quite confusing. Do not think I have seen temperatures stated that way anywhere. Below freezing would then be -10-F. Or maybe 10-F-

So I am curious. I know you are a pilot. Is 10-F pilot speak for ten degrees F about zero?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Right now it is about -8 Celsius. Tomorrow is supposed to warm up. Could be above freezing. Ambient temp. where the machine is -the same as it is outside. I don’t know about the thermostat. Heat bars stay at 2 when I am running. Always has. All seasons. (Except of course if I am really working it in hot weather). The thermostat would not account for no fuel flow. Why only flow after it is plugged in? Warm engine does not help the fuel tank back filter or pump.
-8C/17F isn't cold at all. As a point of reference I've had a BX for five years now and have a water tank timer in the barn that energizes the outlet that I have two extension cords plugged into. Those extension cords are connected to the block heaters of the BX and MX. I have the timer set to provide power to the outlet for 1-1/2 hours each morning, i.e. 8:00am to 9:30am. It was -23C/-10F a couple of weeks ago when I was blowing snow and the BX started up right away and ran without issue. I buy regular off road (red) diesel from various service stations in the Flathead Valley. Also, the fuel filters are still in the factory locations.

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Wolfman may be on to something. -8°C isn't particularly cold, but it is cold enough to freeze water. Since water expands as it freezes, perhaps it could be restricting fuel flow.

Odd that it runs for 2 minutes then dies. Almost like a carburetted engine using up the fuel in the float bowl.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
GeoHorn,

Note the description in your Sea Foam quote: "...less than 10F..."

Normal convention is to say -10F for temps below zero, and 10F for temps above zero.

Saying 10-F is quite confusing. Do not think I have seen temperatures stated that way anywhere. Below freezing would then be -10-F. Or maybe 10-F-

So I am curious. I know you are a pilot. Is 10-F pilot speak for ten degrees F about zero?
It was a QUOTE from the SeaFoam site. They were apparently referring to Ten Degrees Fahrenheit.