LX2610 for grass and snow primarily?

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
The split brakes on the proper side (left foot) were a major factor for me, too. I use them all the time for snow removal, as mentioned, and in the field for turning in any kind of loose terrain.

One thing not mentioned that completely swayed me: I had a JD750 bought new in 1985 and it's been a great tractor. However in the last 10 years + when it's needed parts or attention the John Deere dealer has not been helpful at all. My little compact tractor was put on the back burner compared to the larger tractors when at the dealer for maintenance/service. Getting information for parts and a do it myself repair was like pulling teeth and becoming next to impossible. This dealer had been subscribing more and more to the idea that when you buy a John Deere you are only buying the right to use it and any parts or repairs needed to be done must be done at their shop and on their time. And at a very high shop rate to boot. There was no question that my replacement tractor was going to be anything but green. I found the exact opposite business plan at my Kubota dealer when shopping for the replacement tractor. Even after the sale!! I see some farmers are now suing John Deere to have limited access to the computer's diagnostics so they can at least do basic maintenance, trouble shooting, and field repairs when time is of the essence during spring planting, harvest, etc. I would definitely question your JD dealer about parts, service and helpful information for do it yourself service and repairs before signing on the dotted line.

I couldn't be happier with the Kubota B2650. I would think the LX series would make a person just as happy.

Reactions: 1 users

FUSE

Equipment
B3350-B2650-Z125s-KX008-Bobcat MT100-Case/Davis TF310
May 24, 2017
North Dakota
Watch GP outdoors with the new Lx and the snowblower. IMO the blower is too big for his snow but hard to tell from video sound. He isnt using the same size he had on the B2601.

I bought my B2601 for mowing I love it :) 60"MMM with turf tires. Take the loader off and can zip around :)
Agree, when he first showed that blower my thoughts were "man that seems like too much blower for that 26hp class tractor" aaaaaaaand after watching his videos of it in action, my option is still yes it seems like his lx struggles with that blower....

Reactions: 1 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Kubota Compact Tractors
Built in Georgia USA
Motors built by Kubota in Illinois USA.

John Deer 20 series the last I knew were being built by Yanmar overseas.
The engine is built by ANYONE BUT John Deer.

This creates parts and component assembly issues.

Kubota was the most American made I could find.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
... My primary applications will be lawn mowing and snow blowing. I'm in the Canadian prairies, so want a blower that is effective, though most of the time I am thinking I could get away with just a blade...
I'm way down here in South Sask, but with a blade you run out of places to stack the snow most winters, and as the piles alongside get higher the drifts come back higher and deeper.

Agree, when he first showed that blower my thoughts were "man that seems like too much blower for that 26hp class tractor" aaaaaaaand after watching his videos of it in action, my option is still yes it seems like his lx struggles with that blower....
Get enough PTO hp to run a blower.

I have watched some of his videos! I would be going cabless, our driveway is nowhere near as long as his and I can be cold for 30 minutes or so while I clear stuff, it's worth saving the cash to me!
I also opt for cabless. I am more than willing to trade the cold in the winter for having to be in a plex cage all summer long. I enjoy using a tractor in the summer, in the winter it's work. If nothing breaks I can be done moving snow in 45 minutes. OTOH, it's pretty hard to not get sprayed by the snowblower.

The split brakes on the proper side (left foot) were a major factor for me, too. I use them all the time for snow removal, as mentioned, and in the field for turning in any kind of loose terrain.
This is something I don't like about my Kubota. All my other tractors (even the JD with the foot feed) had brakes on the right, so this one looked like what I was used to. I can see that it's going to be an issue, requiring quite a bit of heel-and-toe if I need to use the walking brakes to wiggle out of something. (So far the 4wd has made that unnecessary, even in situations where the diff-lock on the JD was not enough). I'm wondering if the "cruise control" kicks off if you tap a brake?

youne

Feb 3, 2021
Saskatchewan
I'm way down here in South Sask, but with a blade you run out of places to stack the snow most winters, and as the piles alongside get higher the drifts come back higher and deeper.
Hi Bob! Blower would be in my long term plans, I was thinking I could use a blade for what is left of this winter as I don't see a big fall coming again (why would I say that....) and split my cost up a bit and get the blower in the fall of '21. Do you use your unit to mow? If so how do you like it?

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Hi Bob! Blower would be in my long term plans, I was thinking I could use a blade for what is left of this winter as I don't see a big fall coming again (why would I say that....) and split my cost up a bit and get the blower in the fall of '21. Do you use your unit to mow? If so how do you like it?
I have not mowed with the Kubota yet. I normally cut the pasture once or twice a year with a 3-pt mower, but have been using my Ford 4000 for that so far. I bought the Kubota to replace a larger JD 3020 and the Ford but have not sold the Ford yet. My tires are loaded and I would not use the Kubota (bigger end of the L series) or the (lighter) Ford to mow the "lawn" or over the drainfields. Not sure if I would with empty tires, but probably not. I think I'm about twice the weight of the LX2610 (with empty tires and no loader), so you'll have to ask people with that size about mowing.

I am wondering if I could have gotten by with less tractor, but, like you, I was hoping to not have to buy too many implements all at once. The bigger L tractors have a Cat II hitch, which I needed for some of my implements. I think eventually I'll get a smaller, lighter snowblower, but I'm OK for now.

...for what is left of this winter as I don't see a big fall coming again ...
You Canadians crack me up.

Last edited:

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I don't think either of my 50's do.....
You got me wondering if I was correct or not so I had to go find out. With cruise control set....tapping the hydrostatic pedal in the forward direction does release the cruise control. Tapping the brake pedals if they're locked together also disengages the cruise control. The interesting thing was that if the brakes were not locked together you could apply either brake singly and the cruise control would stay engaged. But apply one brake and touch the other and the cruise control disengages right now.

FUSE

Equipment
B3350-B2650-Z125s-KX008-Bobcat MT100-Case/Davis TF310
May 24, 2017
North Dakota
You got me wondering if I was correct or not so I had to go find out. With cruise control set....tapping the hydrostatic pedal in the forward direction does release the cruise control. Tapping the brake pedals if they're locked together also disengages the cruise control. The interesting thing was that if the brakes were not locked together you could apply either brake singly and the cruise control would stay engaged. But apply one brake and touch the other and the cruise control disengages right now.
Interesting, thanks for the info I'll have to test both of mine now

Reactions: 1 user

youne

Feb 3, 2021
Saskatchewan
Thanks again everyone for your input. I am now targeting an B2601 with the FEL, MMM, and 3 point blade to start. I anticipate adding the 4 point quick hitch and front snow blower in late fall...and then maybe an impulse implement or two.

My next major post here will be to show off the new toy :).

Thanks again!

D

Trail

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, 60" Deck, Rear Blade
Dec 11, 2016
Wisconsin
Only suggestion would be to make sure 72" deck would work. In my opinion you need really level and free of obstructions for that to work.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
That actually sounds like a well thought out compromise between functionality still allowing the walking brake. The concept of "cruise control" on a tractor bothered me at first, but that's basically the way I've been driving the gear-drive tractors before this. Clutch out, speed is what it is. I'll have to test mine once warmer weather rolls around.

We are forecasted for -55 Celsius with the wind chill Monday morning....snow is suddenly the least of my worries. Ha!
I never realized that "too cold to snow" was a thing until I moved here. Good news is I stuck a thermometer out in my barn and it's been 10-12 degrees (Freedom degrees, not Science Degrees) above the outside temp for the last few days. That'll make me feel a little better when I have to start something up in the cold. (Yes, I do have a block heater, but it still gets cold here). We saw -35 (F, but at that point it doesn't really matter) a few years ago. Honest temps-it's too depressing to think about wind chill when it gets that cold,

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The concept of "cruise control" on a tractor bothered me at first, but that's basically the way I've been driving the gear-drive tractors before this. Clutch out, speed is what it is. I'll have to test mine once warmer weather rolls around.
I've found my cruise pretty much useless on the B2601. It's very rare that I have ground flat enough that a steady speed works well, and if I did, I'd want to lock the cruise at full speed, it seems to not want to do that - it's always just 10% slower. So then I go back to the foot pedal. The reality is that I always slow for the turns, and over some bumpy bits, there really aren't long runs that I'd use it. Even though the B2601 treadle pedal is way too stiff and makes my knee tired.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
I also assumed it would be fairly useless, but this is a situation where it might actually be useful. Also, maybe, in "road gear" on a road?

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Why is it hard to connect/disconnect the mid mount mower on the B01 series?

I pull two spring pins on the lift arms and pull a handle at the front, it drops and reach under and undo the PTO. Then drive over.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
Why is it hard to connect/disconnect the mid mount mower on the B01 series?

I pull two spring pins on the lift arms and pull a handle at the front, it drops and reach under and undo the PTO. Then drive over.
Well "hard" is subjective ;). But you're right, it's not a real big deal. It's far easier than my old John Deere Garden Tractors (140, 318, 332, etc) that's for sure.

But it's not as fast/easy as removing the loader, where I don't even have to get off the seat of the tractor.

I guess my point was I wouldn't want to put on/take off the mower deck every time I had to mow, whereas I do take off/put back on the loader every time I mow.

youne

Feb 3, 2021
Saskatchewan
Hey all, back with a bit of an update.

Aside from mowing and snow removal, also considering doing a bunch of tree planting and potential some fencing so looking to run a post hole auger as well.

I think I have recombined myself to go to the bigger frame in the LX over the B. But now I am concerned between 26 and 33HP. Any concerns with those other tasks on the LX26, or should I consider LX33 as well?