LX2610 for grass and snow primarily?

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
In my opinion, PTO hp is the biggest difference between the two. If you plan on using something like a 5' rotary cutter, the LX3310 may be the better choice. Don't know if there would be much difference with a post hole digger.

Last edited:

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
The added emissions involved with the LX3310 is a lot of add for so little added HP. Sure they put a 5 year warranty on it (emissions system), but most tractors should outlive that 10 times.

I understand it is the same with every manufacturer (DPF over 25HP) but all that added stuff that will eventually break for just a few more HP, personally I would stay away. You could leave it idling outside for a while and have a multi-thousand dollar trip to the dealer in your future because you let it idle for too long.

Personally I would not jump above 25HP until I went up over 40. Economies of scale at that point.

Reactions: 3 users

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Well "hard" is subjective ;). But you're right, it's not a real big deal. It's far easier than my old John Deere Garden Tractors (140, 318, 332, etc) that's for sure.

But it's not as fast/easy as removing the loader, where I don't even have to get off the seat of the tractor.

I guess my point was I wouldn't want to put on/take off the mower deck every time I had to mow, whereas I do take off/put back on the loader every time I mow.
Well on the plus side, at least it connects every time unlike the John Deere auto connect setups that are often finicky and require spot on setup.

I take my mower off after every mow, just because I do a lot of work in the bush building roads and trails. But for any tasks around the yard I don't bother because it has decent clearance and you can use the three point with it on anyway.

The more you take it on and off the more it becomes a non-event.

youne

Feb 3, 2021
Saskatchewan
And another use case...I forgot about tilling to put in a new row of trees - this is likely the biggest concern. It will be into grass covered hardened clay. Now I'm wondering if I need to move out of the LX series and get between 40 and 50 HP. Thanks all for the continued advice! :)

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Tilling depends on size of the tiller. And I assume if you're tilling for a row of trees, that's a one-time thing, so you're renting or borrowing a tiller? You can rent tillers that work with a BX, an LX should be fine if you get the right size tiller. If you were tilling all the time you might want a machine big enough for the amount of tilling you're doing.

youne

Feb 3, 2021
Saskatchewan
I might use it continually between the trees and for a garden area so I would likely keep it. I just have someone in my ear concerned I need to be over 40HP because of how tough the ground will be. I thought the LX would be lots.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I run a LP 58" tiller on my B2650 and it has tilled several acres so far. Virgin ground in NH is tough going.

Reactions: 1 user

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I run a heavy duty Howard 5 ft tiller behind my B2650 with no problems. It was also used behind the JD750 with only 17 PTO HP. The forward speed was just slower with the smaller HP tractor. The ground your tilling pretty much determines the speed with which you can till. For virgin ground like sod or other real hard soil, you can bust it up first with a sub soiler, cultivator, or whatever other implements you might have that would work. That makes it easier on your tiller and the job actually goes quicker, overall. You'll have no trouble running a 5 foot tiller behind the LX2610, just let the ground determine your travel speed.

FUSE

Equipment
B3350-B2650-Z125s-KX008-Bobcat MT100-Case/Davis TF310
May 24, 2017
North Dakota
Since your planning on doing ground engaging implements, if your wallet can swing it I would do the 3310....our 3350 is a powerhouse for the size tractor it is....indeed it has a good bit more power then our 2650 when it comes to running the ground engaging implements we have...plus the 3310 will have a few minor upgrades over the 2610 like automatic glow plugs, parking brake notification, cold engine alert, and auto rev when cold started. Watching TTWT when he did his cold start video and GP OUTDOORS commented his LX2610 didnt do those things......

youne

Feb 3, 2021
Saskatchewan
Thanks Fuse. I am actually setting my sights bigger now, I might be looking for around 40HP. I have a lot of groundwork to tackle the more I think about it and have had enough people mention it to me that I want the added weight + HP to really help with that. There's a used L3901 I'm considering now if the guy would just get back to me. A dealer 2 1/2 hours away also has an L4060.

If I have to buy new, the Massey 1840M has piqued my interest as well as the Kubota offerings...I wish there was more supply readily available so you could test drive all this stuff!

FUSE

Equipment
B3350-B2650-Z125s-KX008-Bobcat MT100-Case/Davis TF310
May 24, 2017
North Dakota
L series you can't get a MMM..... not sure if thats a deal breaker or not.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I might use it continually between the trees and for a garden area so I would likely keep it. I just have someone in my ear concerned I need to be over 40HP because of how tough the ground will be. I thought the LX would be lots.
Get a chipper for your new tractor and mulch the ground around the trees with it. Put 6" deep and add as necessary as it settles and breaks down over the years. Makes for zero tillage, water retention, soil improvement, weed control, and more. Tilling every year just invites compaction, moisture loss, and helps weeds to flourish. AND is way more costly to do! Get a wood chipper. Mulch your trees with chips. I promise you won't regret it. Unless of course there's no trees around to harvest, but it doesn't sound like you're in a desert there...
The only thing to fuss about mulching trees with chips is to taper the chip mulch to the ground right at the tree trunk so the root collar remains exposed.

Reactions: 2 users

amarilysimplement

Equipment
John Deere
Jun 21, 2022
Florida
In my opinion, a Kubota is better and more efficient. At least it is a company with a great name in the field of making lawn mowers and snow cleaning machines, so buy it. You understand you are buying something qualitative, even though it is expensive. I spend a lot of time in my yard, and I can surely say that it is a necessary machine for everyone with a big lawn like me. I have used the services of jscustomlandscaping.com to build my yard, so I try my best to make it look as planned by the designer.

Last edited: