Camp build

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I spoke to the one grand daughter in Mississippi, outside of Gulfport,, She said the damage wasnt to bad where they were but no power and maybe not for another 10 days. She said thank you to me, I asked what for ,, she said cause you taught me to think out side of the box, people all around them were eating cold beans and caned good,, SHe said her and the kids were out gathering small branches and she built a small rocket stove out of bricks from around the flower bed, and was cooking supper... Ya gota love kids sometimes they DO listen when you talk

Reactions: 4 users

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I spoke to the one grand daughter in Mississippi, outside of Gulfport,, She said the damage wasnt to bad where they were but no power and maybe not for another 10 days. She said thank you to me, I asked what for ,, she said cause you taught me to think out side of the box, people all around them were eating cold beans and caned good,, SHe said her and the kids were out gathering small branches and she built a small rocket stove out of bricks from around the flower bed, and was cooking supper... Ya gota love kids sometimes they DO listen when you talk
You should be proud Skeet’s, that you have taught her well.

Reactions: 1 user

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Now this is a lazy bear lol!!
Just a big dog with the ability to ruin your day real quick if it decided to. Seen both sides when I was bear hunting years back but fortunately only seen the not so friendly side a couple times. I will admit, you really know you're alive when things turn ugly.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Been a while since I did any work on the camp due to really high lumber prices. Went up this weekend and got a couple things done. Cut out and framed the attic opening and got all of the rafter braces nailed in. Hoping to start working on it again soon.

Attachments

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
For a self-professed novice at construction, you're doing a great job.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK so maybe somebody has already asked ,,, whats with the pink paint on the wood?

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
OK so maybe somebody has already asked ,,, whats with the pink paint on the wood?
Post #31 had this link:

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
I really thought that I would be making some progress on the camp build by now. Due to the crazy high lumber prices I have decided to just wait and see if they come down. I will probably do a couple weather proofing things to further protect whats there now and hopefully before long prices will start coming down.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I really thought that I would be making some progress on the camp build by now. Due to the crazy high lumber prices I have decided to just wait and see if they come down. I will probably do a couple weather proofing things to further protect whats there now and hopefully before long prices will start coming down.
Prices are stupid high right now. And, with fuel prices increasing, I can't anticipate them coming down any time soon. You'd think all the trees caught COVID or something. I'm not sure how an industry that is largely isolated work spaces is so negatively affected by a flu virus. I'd be willing to bet it's more the brokers and middle men making the big bucks. If the loggers were getting that kind of increase in their loads, they would flood the market. Something tells me they're not. It ain't like growing pine trees is expensive, especially down here in the south. They grow like weeds down here. Some species are ready for pulp wood thinning in 5 years, posts/plywood in 10, and major lumber in 15.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Personally, I hope you are correct about prices coming down but I think this is the "New Normal"... people are willing to pay these new higher prices so why would the price drop?? Also, (I'm guessing here) that there is big backlog of people like you just waiting for the price to drop so many more projects are just backing up...

I just don't think they will come down unless building comes to a stop. I don't see that happening anytime soon around here...

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Prices are stupid high right now. And, with fuel prices increasing, I can't anticipate them coming down any time soon. You'd think all the trees caught COVID or something. I'm not sure how an industry that is largely isolated work spaces is so negatively affected by a flu virus. I'd be willing to bet it's more the brokers and middle men making the big bucks. If the loggers were getting that kind of increase in their loads, they would flood the market. Something tells me they're not. It ain't like growing pine trees is expensive, especially down here in the south. They grow like weeds down here. Some species are ready for pulp wood thinning in 5 years, posts/plywood in 10, and major lumber in 15.
Who knows what's going on with the lumber prices. I know with interest rates really low it drives building material prices up but that can't be all that is causing the record price increases. No shortage of log trucks on the roads near us that's for sure.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Very hard to predict a lot of things over the last year but yes the price of building supplies have at least doubled over the last year or so right along with the price of steel. Nothing like kicking people when their down.

https://triblive.com/local/valley-n...ring-pushes-price-of-new-housing-even-higher/

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Very hard to predict a lot of things over the last year but yes the price of building supplies have at least doubled over the last year or so right along with the price of steel. Nothing like kicking people when their down.

https://triblive.com/local/valley-n...ring-pushes-price-of-new-housing-even-higher/

I saw a couple days ago that lumber prices as a whole was up 267%, I sure hope it starts dropping soon so I can resume construction.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
The high lumber prices have me backed up big time with sawing jobs, but with this rain/wet I can only saw the logs that I can get the sawmill to. I'll go back on a job this next week that we had to quit on because of rain. Folks that have logs get their lumber for about 1/3 of store bought.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I've wondered about operations like yours. Do you do rough sawn dimensional lumber like 2x4s?
Do you plane it 4 sides smooth like commercial lumber? Something in between? Just curious.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
We built our first camp with rough lumber that we got from just down the street and yes a 2x4 is just that. A friend was going to buy a mill until he found out he was going to have a hard time getting the logs to mill, crazy times. As far as rain goes it's been brutal here for the last week with no end in site for the near future, even cranked up the wood stove this morning just to get the dampness out. Our heat pump is great but there's nothing like the wood stove when it's damp.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
The high lumber prices have me backed up big time with sawing jobs, but with this rain/wet I can only saw the logs that I can get the sawmill to. I'll go back on a job this next week that we had to quit on because of rain. Folks that have logs get their lumber for about 1/3 of store bought.
I have saw logs that I could cut if needed but I am at the point where I need 1/2" OSB to sheet the outside so that doesn't help any lol.