Vacuum Sealer Recommendations?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I'm an ol' farm boy. We always have had enough in the freezers to survive a long while.

Like many, we're storing more freezer stuff than we used to for longer periods. We're buying more 40-pound cases of chicken, have a quarter of beef in the freezer, always bought haddock in 10 pound boxes, etc.

We have a 16 cu. ft. chest "meat freezer", and a 19 cu. ft. upright for veggies, breads, etc....

We used to have 5 bodies here, but down to 2, unless college boy is around. That's not often.

Trying to reduce loss/damage now that it's just 2 of us.

I know many here use vacuum sealers for the same reasons.....

What do you have (make/model), what do you like/dislike about it?

Wat size bags does it take? (Realized some only take small bags?) We often freeze stuff in 2 gallon zip lock freezer bags, so limited to a quart-size isn't good.....

What would you do differently if you bought another tomorrow?

I know absolutely nothing about them...so don't think you'll insult my intelligence, as I have none...just ask my wife...:cool:

I used to joke a 1/2 beef was barely frozen before it was gone.......;)

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I'm an ol' farm boy. We always have had enough in the freezers to survive a long while.

Like many, we're storing more freezer stuff than we used to for longer periods.

We have a 16 cu. ft. chest "meat freezer", and a 19 cu. ft. upright for veggies, breads, etc....

We used to have 5 bodies here, but down to 2, unless college boy is around. That's not often.

Trying to reduce loss/damage now that it's just 2 of us.

I know many here use vacuum sealers for the same reasons.....

What do you have (make/model), what do you like/dislike about it?

Wat size bags does it take? (Realized some only take small bags?) We often freeze stuff in 2 gallon zip lock freezer bags, so limited to a quart-size isn't good.....

What would you do differently if you bought another tomorrow?

I know absolutely nothing about them...so don't think you'll insult my intelligence, as I have none...just ask my wife...:cool:

I used to joke a 1/2 beef was barely frozen before it was gone.......;)
We have a Foodsaver brand, unsure of the model. Works well. As far as bags go I buy the rolls like this

FoodSaver 11" x 16' Vacuum Seal Roll | Make Custom-Sized BPA-Free Vacuum Sealer Bags | 3-Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D5TM5QE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_k4ifFbXQBR6AM

You can make whatever size bags you need.

Reactions: 1 user

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
We have had a FoodSaver for many years. Very satisfied because it simply works. We also use the rolls.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
We use a the VacMaster VP215, it is a chamber vacuum. They are more expensive but the bags are super cheap. For us the bag cost alone justified the expense on the unit. We process several deer a year as well as buy our other meats and fish in bulk.

It creates a true vacuum inside the chamber.
You can vacuum liquid with it.
You can vacuum canning jars with it.
It does a much better job at getting all the air out than our foodsaver model.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Food saver FM2100, works excellent does many a differnt size of bags and rolls, so not much limitations.

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
Food saver V3825, got it from Costco. Works great. You can basically vacuum save anything in those bags, if it can fit, custom lengths. We have a few canisters, and a couple containers for marinating. Plus we have a canning attachment to vacuum into Mason jars. Would definitely get another if this one broke, its gotta be 10-15 years old.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I bought a Vacmaster 350 Pro after fighting with a Food Saver that my wife picked up. The bags are cheaper either by the roll or pre-made. Very happy with it.

I'm still going thru the Foodsaver rolls we have hidden around here.

JWool

Equipment
B2650HSDC FEL & Front Snow Blower, ZT-Z421, GL11000 Generator
Dec 29, 2013
Northern MI
We picked up a Vac Pak-It
use's rolls or bags seals up to 16"
Only reason i like commercial grade items, nothing against others, just bought many things over the years to find out there was better qaulity items.
I was looking at buying a Weston and ARY, the store recomended Vac pak-It, probably all good choices.
I can't say that I have heard any complaints about food saver.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/va...machine-with-16-seal-bar-120v/186VME16SS.html

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Bump.....

I've looked at each and every sealer recommended so far.

I greatly appreciate the input! :cool:

There's a few suggestions I like, but I'm a newbie with those things. :unsure:

As a long-time restaurant cook (127 years ago), I do lean to commercial items, if it's prudent.

Any other recommendations?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
We picked up a Vac Pak-It
use's rolls or bags seals up to 16"
Only reason i like commercial grade items, nothing against others, just bought many things over the years to find out there was better qaulity items.
I was looking at buying a Weston and ARY, the store recomended Vac pak-It, probably all good choices.
I can't say that I have heard any complaints about food saver.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/va...machine-with-16-seal-bar-120v/186VME16SS.html
JWool - just curious how long you've had this sealer? How much you use it? Any problems?

Looks like 50' rolls can be had for $8-15, depending on width? Appears much cheaper than others?

I liked several of the models recommended, but this one stood out to me. I also liked the sous vide accessory Vac Pak-It sells... been kinda intrigued by that for a while.

Again...I know nothing about these things.

I was hoping to get away for MUCH less $$, but I also also prefer to buy well once, and cry once.....:cry:

JWool

Equipment
B2650HSDC FEL & Front Snow Blower, ZT-Z421, GL11000 Generator
Dec 29, 2013
Northern MI
JWool - just curious how long you've had this sealer? How much you use it? Any problems?

Looks like 50' rolls can be had for $8-15, depending on width? Appears much cheaper than others?

I liked several of the models recommended, but this one stood out to me. I also liked the sous vide accessory Vac Pak-It sells... been kinda intrigued by that for a while.

Again...I know nothing about these things.

I was hoping to get away for MUCH less $$, but I also also prefer to buy well once, and cry once.....:cry:
Only had it about 4 months, we used it quit a bit during the time with no issues.
I contaplated buying one for a year or more, looked at many comparing specs, reviews capabilities.
if there is a down side is it's a heavy and takes some space, the weight tells me it's built well.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Well, I have to admit I didn’t take anyone’s advice. :oops:

I did look at every make/model recommended.

I found myself looking at some high-end sealers that were recommended, but had no experience of ever using one.

Instead of throwing a lot of $$ at something I knew nothing about, I ended up getting a “cheapie” Amazon recommended sealer with some goodies. I think all-in for $70 or so with the goodies. I also like this one is much smaller than others I was looking at.

Sealed a couple bags just as a test and it works very well, but it’s quite apparent it’s not too heavy-duty.

I like heavy-duty.....(y)

This will be a learning experience, and give me an idea what I want for the next machine.

One of our kids will like this one when that time comes.

65885FFE-4A06-4DDE-98C3-DE35CED81FB6.jpeg

DrankTheOrangeKoolaid

Equipment
M6800/M920, Case 780B
Sep 24, 2019
Alberta
We stopped with vacuum sealers several years ago. It used to be that the bags could be reused two or three times. Now you are lucky if they can be reused once. We have gone old school... cling wrap and butchers paper. We have dug 3 year old venison out of the bottom of the freezer that did not show any sign of freezer burn.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Well, I have to admit I didn’t take anyone’s advice. :oops:

I did look at every make/model recommended.

I found myself looking at some high-end sealers that were recommended, but had no experience of ever using one.

Instead of throwing a lot of $$ at something I knew nothing about, I ended up getting a “cheapie” Amazon recommended sealer with some goodies. I think all-in for $70 or so with the goodies. I also like this one is much smaller than others I was looking at.

Sealed a couple bags just as a test and it works very well, but it’s quite apparent it’s not too heavy-duty.

I like heavy-duty.....(y)

This will be a learning experience, and give me an idea what I want for the next machine.

One of our kids will like this one when that time comes.
We started the same way with a FoodSaver and the rolls. As soon as we switched over to Sous Vide for most of our cooking, the cost and quality of the FoodSaver prompted us to get the VacMaster Chamber unit. Chamber vacuums are not for everyone. They are expensive and really heavy. The advantage is you get vacuum in the entire chamber. The bags are pennies and the vacuum is superb.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
RCW see I am late to the game but thought I'd throw out few things I've learned.

I have the food saver model not there to see less than $100 for it.

I've sealed well over a 1000 bags with it and no problems. I use it every week. Block cheese cut me off a chunk seal it back repeat.....

Found that when sealing things that have moisture in them I lock the lid closed then hold the sealer vertical, more difficult for the moisture to travel vertical before it seals.

I but Weston bags only quart and gallon, pleased with them.

I reuse my bags that veggies are stored in. Cut seam close hand wash out and stand up dish strainer to air dry. I use them until they are too short then toss.

I have found that for my deer meat we process 10 to 15 a year that good ole tight wrapped butcher paper serves me well.

I was going to recommend you buying a cheapo to try and then once you figured out all the pros and cons to sealing go buy a better quality one.

Best of luck.

Jay

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
the VacMaster Chamber unit. Chamber vacuums are not for everyone. They are expensive and really heavy. The advantage is you get vacuum in the entire chamber. The bags are pennies and the vacuum is superb.
I think one of my short list was a VacMaster, but it wasn’t a chamber unit. Very nice, but $300+. That’s when I decided to try one first.

I remember looking at your chamber unit and really liked it, but it just wouldn’t fit in the kitchen.

I did get some extra bags, plus a couple 50-foot rolls to make bags....wow, very big difference in price. Seems like the 2 rolls were less than a small box of bags.

The bags are obviously convenient, and I admit I didn’t shop them.

Sous vide intrigues me. Not sure enough to try it, but at least I’m 1 step closer. I have some commercial steam table pans, and it looks like you can buy a sous vide heater to use with them.
RFound that when sealing things that have moisture in them I lock the lid closed then hold the sealer vertical, more difficult for the moisture to travel vertical before it seals.

Jay
Jay - thanks for the pointers, especially the moist food tip.

I do a lot of marinating, etc. Being a cook I like to be creative. A vacuum on a marinated product makes it work a LOT better.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Okay - - wanted to circle back after several months.

The vacuum sealer I got works pretty good, and for the dollars I'm happy with it.

It did give me a chance to see if we'd use one, and I do use it but I wouldn't say a lot. Part of that is sometimes it's not convenient.

I try to use the rolls of bags as much as possible. The pre-made bags are expensive, as others pointed out. With an 11" capacity, the rolls are SO much cheaper....

It's a hassle to cut the bags true and square free-hand. I ALWAYS failed cut and paste as a kindergarten, and haven't gotten better with scissors. A knife is my preferred tool, and I'm good with one.

We have another 40# case of chicken breasts coming this week. Will take 15-20 bags.

I decided to make a redneck roller and cutter thingie out of some poplar kicking around. It holds just 11", but I could make a wider one easy enough.

"Craftmanship" is usually not a term used in my utilitarian creations, but they often work for their intended purpose. If successful, are refined later on.

I haven't figured out the straight edge yet...it will sit on top/confine the roll that it sits on in the picture... i.e., that piece of polar will be the cutting board.

I intend something to allow an easy/quick cut with a box cutter.

Have some more poplar, 10 gauge, angle, and the other stuff that could work, along with some springs....

My next vacuum sealer will have roll holders and cutter built in. Just didn’t want to go there yet. One of the kids will like this one in a couple years.

700113E8-CA25-4E37-BCCC-1C2BDC27F021.jpeg

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Okay - - wanted to circle back after several months.

The vacuum sealer I got works pretty good, and for the dollars I'm happy with it.

It did give me a chance to see if we'd use one, and I do use it but I wouldn't say a lot. Part of that is sometimes it's not convenient.

I try to use the rolls of bags as much as possible. The pre-made bags are expensive, as others pointed out. With an 11" capacity, the rolls are SO much cheaper....

It's a hassle to cut the bags true and square free-hand.

We have another 40# case of chicken breasts coming this week.

I decided to make a redneck roller and cutter thingie out of some poplar kicking around. It holds just 11", but I could make a wider one easy enough.

"Craftmanship" is usually not a term used in my utilitarian creations, but they often work for their intended purpose. If successful, are refined later on.

I haven't figured out the straight edge yet...it will sit on top/confine the roll that it sits on in the picture... i.e., that piece of polar will be the cutting board.

I intend something to allow an easy/quick cut with a box cutter.

Have some more poplar, 10 gauge, angle, and the other stuff that could work, along with some springs....

My next one will have roll holders and cutter built in. Just didn’t want to go there yet. One of the kids will like this one in a couple years.

View attachment 51760
2EDE223B-0CBD-4570-B5B8-546FDA4562C5.jpeg

Nice thing about the foodsaver we have is the built in roll holder and cutter.

There is roll holders with cutters available (but I see you have a start to one)
48964464-6593-43CF-8B1F-C14F9BD4D372.png

But seeing what you have maybe you can modify and add this?
7E6EA6C2-B288-46E8-B354-C6EF8C497528.png

there is also this
6D4E9416-100C-438D-B7D5-BAAC559E5ACE.png

Just a few things that popped up from quick search. Just google ‘vacuum sealer roll cutter’