Garage door opener

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well it died the old Genie crapped out in a puff of smoke and a loud buzzz. It was a screw drive and trying to turn the screws in the aluminum frame I couldnt turn the screw with channel locks, and yes I did lube it as they said. Anyways I have to replace it, prices are all over the place. So I am asking what you guys think s the best way to go,, screw, belt or chain drive. I found a direct drive where the motor moved back and forth on the rail but not for 5 bills.
Anyways plain simple, no smart phone, no wifi crap simple button open close. As basic as I can find,, what say you?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Skeets, I think the screw type are quieter, but cost more. If you have a bedroom above the garage you may want a quiet one, otherwise doesn't matter too much.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Naww this is out in the detached pole bar/garage so noise isnt a problem

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Getting the same type / style will make installation much easier and quicker.

I think they all have their ups and downs...HAHAHA unintended garage door opener pun! :D

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The chain drive might be the cheapest ? I have 4 spares here as people toss them out for free on Kijiji ( Cdn version of CL ).
2 type of chain drive, 1 ,100% chain, 2 - 50%chain/50% cable.

I wouldn't have a bedroom over a garage unless CO detector in garage will open the door.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
Just went thru this and put a belt drive from Lowes on. In the end I didn't save that many $ from what Overhead Door & one other quoted installed.
I still have to buy some kind of black box to make the unit work with my 2012 Chevy truck control. New one worked with the Tahoe & Subaru fine.

procraftmike

Equipment
1977 B7100DT w/B219 FEL
Jan 27, 2016
Neenah, WI
I replaced a Genie screw drive unit about 5 years back with a Chamberlain Whisper Drive unit, which is a belt drive. I think it is a pretty quiet unit.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I replaced a Genie screw drive unit about 5 years back with a Chamberlain Whisper Drive unit, which is a belt drive. I think it is a pretty quiet unit.
I have 2 Chamberlain Whisper openers, it's only been 3 or 4 years but so far they work great and the rollers make more noise the the belt. Just wait for them to go on sale if you decide to buy or check Amazon.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I never heard of Chamberlain before, but I will look around,I can still open and close the door by hand,,, not like I didnt do that for years

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada

GeoBx2680

Equipment
FEL, 60" mower, 60" plow, Pallet Forks, 50" snowblower Front mount
Oct 8, 2018
Mn USA
I never heard of Chamberlain before, but I will look around,I can still open and close the door by hand,,, not like I didnt do that for years
Have a friend that does garage door openers. Don't get the Chamberlain there junk. Get a Liftmaster or Genie. He put a Genie in for me last fall in my pole shed the 1200 model I believe. The door is a 16x12 opens it nice and quite especially after I oiled the door. Sounded tearable before I oiled it.
The lift masters are little more then the Genie cost wise

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
Skeets,
I bought my Chamberlines at Menards about 5 yrs ago. Chain drive 3/4hp no fancy stuff, just a remote in the vehicles and a button on the wall
Regards

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Have a friend that does garage door openers. Don't get the Chamberlain there junk. Get a Liftmaster or Genie. He put a Genie in for me last fall in my pole shed the 1200 model I believe. The door is a 16x12 opens it nice and quite especially after I oiled the door. Sounded tearable before I oiled it.
The lift masters are little more then the Genie cost wise
I'm not sure where you get off saying the Chamberlain are junk? I have 2 of them and they work great and if you read the reviews other people are very happy with them. Do you have any personal experience with them or is it just hear say?

PsRumors

Feb 21, 2016
Cartersville, Georgia
We love our 2 direct drive Liftmaster 8500 openers. They are quiet, quick and low maintenance. Worth every penny

These mount to the wall next to the door engaging the spring roller

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The most popular garage door openers for households in the US are Liftmaster and Chamberlain. In case you didn't know, both are made by the same company – Liftmaster. Chamberlain is only a line of products by Liftmaster, geared more towards people who have smaller garage doors and want a simpler solution.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
We love our 2 direct drive Liftmaster 8500 openers. They are quiet, quick and low maintenance. Worth every penny

These mount to the wall next to the door engaging the spring roller

I agree that these are great openers. I got one since the bedroom is partially over the garage. It also freed up the scuttle hole into the attic that the builder thought to put in center where the garage door opener has to be would be a good idea.

They are quite but pricey. You also have to have a foot or two of wall next to the door to mount the opener onto.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cliffboyer

Equipment
L3301 w/LA525 loader, G5200 mower w/RC48 deck, Kawasaki 610 Mule, DR mower
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
LiftMaster is a subsidiary of Chamberlain Group, and there is some similarity with residential product offerings. The LiftMastet line consists of residential and commercial products and is marketed through a network of dealers, wholesalers, Pro-Dealers, etc. Rails are 1-piece, appropriate for door height.

Chamberlain is more DIY consumer level product, marketed through big-box home centers, private label brands (Do-it Best, Sears) for cost conscious consumers. Typically zero support from the retailer you buy from. Rails are multi-piece affairs that flex.

LiftMaster belt drives are quiet, soild performers. Their 8500 side-mount (aka jack-shaft) is a beast, dead quiet with capabilities beyond what specs state. Probably last opener you ever buy.

About 8 or so years ago Genie revamped entire product line while simultaneously shifting production to China. It was an abysmal failure. Product & support went in the toilet. They have made improvements, but have not fully regained consumer confidence.

Alternative brands in higher end lines would be Hormann and Marantec. Both German designed, excellent build quality, and very quiet.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Skeets, I know you said you wanted basic. Not sure if you can still get them but my old Craftsman opener was as basic as you could get. 17yrs and still going strong when I moved. Talked with the folks that bought my old place last month and they have yet to have any issues with it.

I did change it up when we built our current house a few years back and went with the Ryobi opener. It's fully configurable. If you want to enable wifi, you can do it. It has the ability to take any one of their cordless tool batteries to provide a battery backup in case your power goes out. Just lift the cover, pop it in and done. Built in LED light so no bulbs to change and it is on a motion sensor so you don't have to flip a light switch when you go in the garage. Comes standard with Home Link and if your ride has that, you can ditch the old garage remote. Comes with 2 remotes if you need them. You also can add accessories to the unit such as a retractable extension cord, parking locator, fan, air compressor or a blue tooth speaker. I have the retractable cord on both, fan in the garage with my Orange and the parking sensors for the daily drivers.

I have it hooked up to wifi and there are some great benefits to that. You can open/close a door from your smart phone, get alerts when a door opens/closes and set alerts if a door is open past a certain time. No more walking out to check doors. Pull up the app and look there. In addition it is belt driven, quiet and can run on DC if required. I paid around 250 per opener if my memory is correct.

rokhunter

Equipment
BX23S TLB
Dec 28, 2018
Baker, Florida, United States
I put a Chamberlain belt drive in as well, the one with battery backup so I could raise/close the door (with the opener) if power went out. The battery only lasts about a year and a half, without being used, but other than that I'm very happy with it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk