New tires for BX25D better than OEM?? suggestions?

randee

Equipment
2014 BX25D - King Kutter Tiller - King Kutter Rake - Workman PTO auger
Apr 10, 2015
Fulton
I am looking to replace my OEM front R4 tires on my BX25d tractor. The tread looks brand new on my 500hr tractor, rarely run on cement, mostly weeds/grass.

I have had a lot of problems with my tires, mostly the front tires.

I have tried checking pressure every usage.
Adding Inner-tubes which didn't work for long and finally some slime equivalent that cost me a bundle at the tire service.
I have several tire issues every year, and I am looking for something that's better than the factory tire.

I had good pressure this morning. Filled up my bucket with firewood and had to turn tight to back out and ended up with my tire coming off rim. I drove my car over to my shop to get my small pancake air compressor and try to fill it up. However I can tell the side wall is cracked and was loosing air. I am a little ticked I lost my slime stuff. :)

It's possible I messed up the sidewall (or even the rims) running it low before I started my every use tire pressure check fill-up. Also, the rubber bit / slime solution was working very good up till today. Lasted for about 8 months (roughly 30 hours during winter) and rarely had to put air in the tires.

I am ready for an upgrade and have been reading posts on replacement options, found a couple listed below. The amazon ones appear to be OEM or similar, and the ones on summit are much cheaper, so I am guessing they won't hold up. I read something about someone replacing them with skid steer tires that were much stiffer and more durable, but I am concerned about the ratios for 4wd.

Hoping someone would have some input here on some better tires, or a new tires / inner tube / slime solution. If I missed a good thread, please let me know!

https://www.amazon.com/MowerPartsGroup-Assemblies-18x8-50-10-Kubota-BX2350D/dp/B07XPGGWT6

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRR-570046

Thanks for any input!

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
If you are having that many tire problems why not foam fill them? It is kind of expensive and it will not bounce anymore but you will not have a tire problem until the tread is gone.

randee

Equipment
Apr 10, 2015
Fulton
If you are having that many tire problems why not foam fill them? It is kind of expensive and it will not bounce anymore but you will not have a tire problem until the tread is gone.
Good Idea, I always thought that was hard on the machine, found this on a thread:

"Tires wear increased by about double.
The ride was about as bad as it could get.
The added weight put extra strain on wheel bearings."

"Think about it, no foam you have a cushioning effect, foam, no give so all the bouncing is transferred to the bearings."

I will research it further, thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I am not sure how much cushioning you get out of a tire that small and aired up to hold the weight of a FEL and tractor. I do not think there is much give in the tires on my L2501.

You might need to try some non expanding Great Stuff or a product called TyrFil. There are videos on youtube on how to install it. If you do not like it use a saws-all to cut the tire off and buy new tires. The ones you have now are not doing you much good.

Someone had a BX that the tires were not rated to hold the weight of the tractor plus the FEL loaded up. He had his tires replaced under warranty I believe.

Maybe that is part of the problem that you are having, under rated tires. If you look on the sidewall there should be a weight rating.

Look at this thread:https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19755&highlight=tires&page=2

Last edited:

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Perhaps the tire problem with the FEL is not a tire problem, but lack of proper ballasting. Using a loaded ballast box would take a considerable amount of weight off the front end.

Not only will this help the tire situation, but also prolong bearing and steering linkage life.

Sorry I can't provide a tire recommendation as I've always just bought new tires and rims from wholegoods for the BX tractors.

Reactions: 1 users

randee

Equipment
Apr 10, 2015
Fulton
Thanks guys, yes I had the backhoe on back. So there was some ballast there. Couldn't have been more than a 100lbs in bucket. I think the sidewalls are so thin and damages from cracking or thorns that when I turned tight I immediately lost my air and then pulled tire off rim.

I am liking the idea of foaming front tires and seeing if I can get another season out of them. I don't care about wearing them out, but I am worried about hurting bearings. Like you said, when those guys are proper air pressure 22psi they don't have much give anyway.

I don't care about rims, because I damaged some of the holes after a service at local authorized dealer, they didn't torque down my lugs and I ended up ovaling, if that's a word... elongating the holes for lugs. I got them on good and lock-tited them in and they haven't moved since, but I need new rims anyway so if the foam doesn't work, then no biggie.

As always, Thanks guys for input. I will check youtube on foaming!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
you should look at what KENDA has to offer. A 6 ply/1100# tire for the fronts ! Theree was a previous post about them. NOT available in Canada, heck Amazon won't even allow me to buy and ship to my US address. Already on my 2nd set from Kubota(free replacements) .OEM only good for 780# and 4 ply.

randee

Equipment
Apr 10, 2015
Fulton
you should look at what KENDA has to offer. A 6 ply/1100# tire for the fronts ! Theree was a previous post about them. NOT available in Canada, heck Amazon won't even allow me to buy and ship to my US address. Already on my 2nd set from Kubota(free replacements) .OEM only good for 780# and 4 ply.
They are on amazon, can you send link?

randee

Equipment
Apr 10, 2015
Fulton
here's one ..
https://www.amazon.ca/Kenda-18x8-50-10-18x8-50x10-Garden-Tractor/dp/B079RTZFH8

Kenda K514 series.....

you can buy elsewhere, probably from Kenda....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-K514-Ken...839814&hash=item4da73ec1a9:g:6ecAAOSwsAteSvk6

In case someone else is looking.. I am thinking foam this season see how that works, and aim for new rims/tires and possibly foam next season on the fronts.

Thanks for the help everyone. I called my local tire service, they said it would take a week as they prep them and send them out. for $65/tire. Does that seem fair?

How did you get a 2nd set from kubota... I should have complained while it was under warranty...

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
That is what I was quoted too, same price. Sometimes they give you the choice of foam hardness. Also when you need new front tires you have to buy new rims but they aren’t too expensive either. I will switch to foam once my front start acting up again as well.

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
That is what I was quoted too, same price. Sometimes they give you the choice of foam hardness. Also when you need new front tires you have to buy new rims but they aren’t too expensive either. I will switch to foam once my front start acting up again as well.
I was told you can use a saws-all to cut the foam and tire off the rim. Through the tire away and recycle the foam and reuse the rim.

The OP said his rims needed to be replaced anyway.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
My BX23S only had 120 hrs on it when BOTH fronts had sidewall 'blisters' ( 18 on one of them...) so I emailed Kubota Canada with picture, said I wasn't happy, dealer called..said they'll swap new tires/rims for my old ones.
I'm still convinced the tire are underrated for the tractor and I'd love to see what weight is on them when the loader has ,say 3 - 24by30 patio stones in it.
I'd buy the Kendas IF I could. Don't know why Amazon won't let me.... When CV19 goes away....I'll have a friend in Michigan buy them and he can deliver them.seems the ONLY way I can get them.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Carlisle offers these.

Turf
Multi-Trac C/S 18x8.50-10 P/N: 6L0174 6ply 1050lbs load rating (Multi-Trac)

R4
18x8.50-10 NHS (TL) P/N: 570046 4ply 830lbs load rating (WT 300)

18x8.50-10NHS (TL) P/N: 51S311 4ply 830lbs load rating (TRAC CHIEF)

Trac Chief tire weighs 25% more than the other two above.Applied on general duty skid steer and compact tractor applications, the Trac Chief and Trac Chief XT tires are engineered with a flat profile for increased stability, rugged tread compounds and a built-in rim gauge to protect its bead area from hazards and debris. Made in the USA.

BKT
R4 18/8.50--10 P/N:94017751 8ply 1,858 lbs

There are a lot of different tires out in that size. I only listed heavier ply tires because of the front loader use. I've used the Carlisle Multi Trac 6 ply on a L3130 TLB and had good success compared to stock 4ply. They were a different size than yours, but was pleased with them.

The BKT R4 tire has an insane load rating for this tire size.

randee

Equipment
Apr 10, 2015
Fulton
https://www.amazon.com/BKT-Skid-Power-Industrial-Tire/dp/B01JUMBI22

Those look nice, are they the same dimensions as the original so I wouldn't screw up the 4wd?

Where can you get rims to replace my rims? Any thoughts?

Those are some awesome options!

I am trying to figure out how I can get my tractor up and running the fastest... Foaming will take some time. He said drop them off thursday and pick them up tuesday next week. New tire shipping are going to take a couple weeks just for rubber. Thanks again, very helpful!

https://autoplicity.com/12257520-bkt-94017751

Last edited:

randee

Equipment
Apr 10, 2015
Fulton
Well they said that because there was a hole in the sidewall they didn't want to foam it. Confused since I thought they drilled a hole in it to foam it. So they said I would need new tires before they foam them.

These front tires are cursed!

Ordered these...
https://www.prioritytire.com/bkt-skid-power-hd-18x8-50-10-d-8-ply-as-a-s-all-season-tire/

Those will work on the stock rims, right?
I think I will skip foaming then, and just see how regular air works, or possibly get some slime in them.

(My ATV tires - at least one tire would go low every couple weeks. Since I put slime from my local store in them, they have been perfect. That was about a year ago.)

Can I slip them on the rims and get them bead, or will I have to get them to put them on at the shop?

Thanks everyone! I will report back on how they work!

Last edited:

miketrock

Nov 25, 2019
Pa
On construction equipment, they make a hole and fill in the tread area, not the sidewall. A lot of times I wud see something like the head of a 3/8" or 1/2" bolt in the tread … where it was filled. Even for a regular flat tire they never will fix a sidewall problem …. only if its in the tread area … at least around here in PA.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Unless you have a powered machine or trained gorilla, let the pros at the shop put them on ! Little tires/rims ARE a PITA to mount with manual machine.
The pros can do the job in a few minutes, save you struggling for 2 HOURS..and STILL having to go there cause you can't get the 2nd one to seat right.....BTDT..... Remember these are 8 ply tires, so STIFF not whimpy 4 ply 'garden tractor' tires !

randee

Equipment
Apr 10, 2015
Fulton
Thanks for the input guys!

Ya, I guess with the foam I thought they could deal with a sidewall issue, but that's understandable. Only thing that kind of ticks me off is I told them I had a crack/leak in sidewall when I asked about foaming them. If they would have said, oh if it's a sidewall we can't foam them, then I would have been looking at new rubber from the get-go. :)

Agreed about putting them on, I have reseated the 4ply OEMs many times, I wondered if it would be hard or not, but yes I will let the pros handle it. Hopefully these are stiffer and stronger. My local shop said they would slime them and mount them for $64 total
13 to mount each tire =26 plus
13 slime for each tire =26 plus 13 labor =
64 plus tax (I am aware that doesn't add up, :) but that's what they told me)
Just in case someone was curious on what I am paying in western IL.

Thanks again for input! I will keep you posted if/when they ship and how long they take to get and how they perform... might even have to take some pics/videos when I get them on tractor.

Ordered last night 5:49pm and got a FEDEX tracking number just now at 11:47am.

Last edited: