Tow Vehicle?? What do you tow your Kubota with??

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I see those aluminum Alcoa's and the sleeper D
For some reason the boss has just Alcoa's on the front axle. Not really sure why, the boss man did buy the rig used it those could be on there from the previous owner. And nope no tv, havent slept in the truck either!!

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
hello JPL welcome to the forum. my name is tim from up the road in Dawson Springs. Always glad to see Ky folks especially west Ky!

kytim

Green Mountain Slim

Equipment
Kubota B8200, Kioti C2610 Cab, BX1500, B7100 (kinda)
Feb 23, 2010
Morrisville, Vermont
Got my new tow vehicle yesterday. Traded off the family truckster (mini van) that has served to tow everything but the tractor on my 16' dual axel trailer and my 5' x 8' utility for years.

I hope this beauty will put in some hard work over the next 4 years while we're paying off the loan.

Attachments

Green Mountain Slim

Equipment
Feb 23, 2010
Morrisville, Vermont
Good looking ride Slim. Which engine does it have?
It has the 6.0L Turbo Diesel with 105888 miles and a clean maintenance record. I know this is THE motor that a lot of people say was so bad, but I've also read that there was really nothing wrong with the majority of them so I decided since it was selling for the price I needed to pay it was worth the risk.

I'm also going to look for ways to improve performance. I know that there are a lot of tricks and parts that can be used to improve HP and Mileage, so I'm going to experiment a little with some of them and hope they aren't just "miracle carburators".

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Biggest problem Ford had with the 6.0 diesel was the injector bolts were not strong enough and kept snapping bolts. Also Ford does not build their diesels they purchase them from Navistar.And International trucks had the exact same problem with them as well. Other complaints I heard about the 6.0 is that the diesel has alot of top end speed but almost no low end torq like the 7.3L turbo diesel had before.

I'd say for performance get a Bullydog programer and plug it into the truck and play around with the computer system and you have several options you can choose from. For example a buddy of mine has a 97 F350 7.3L diesel 4x4 sitting on 38" tires and he reprogramed his to get damn near 25miles per gallon on his diesel. He can also turn the truck up and smoke the rear tires.

IC-Smoke

Equipment
B2400, ZD28, BX24
Dec 16, 2010
Pittsford, MI
head bolts are another failure on the 6.0 aka "6 leaker" in other forums. If you have to add headstuds or any head work the cab comes off the frame to access the motor :D

I would start with a air filter and exhaust then run from there! as far as programmers you have a wide variety of options. I suggest going to a powerstroke forum and searching which programmer is best for you.

Ian

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I changed my exhaust and removed the muffler and everything. It's straight piped from the turbo to the back. I also removed the factory air box and put a big baldwin air filter on it. This made a huge difference doing this. I then bought a Edge programmer and run it on the first stage which adds 60hp. It pulls much better and increased mpg. The programmers are nice for other things as well. Being able to run your own diagnostics sure helps when a sensor goes bad. I don't know about all of them but Edge programmers not only give the code but also tell what the problem is. I've been really happy with mine.

Green Mountain Slim

Equipment
Feb 23, 2010
Morrisville, Vermont
Eric, IC-Smoke and Bulldog, that's the kind of advice it take weeks to get on any other forum. I started with a simple introduction at a diesel forum and had several conflicting opinions and reviews that, taken together, gave me some direction, but left me still wondering if I should buy it or not. In the end it came down to the truck I wanted (needed) to do most everything at a price I couldn't ignore.

Hope this doesn't shock anyone, I paid $14,000.00 during a Spring Sale at a small local dealer I've bought from before. Only used vehicles and lots of Southern auction vehicles with very little or no rust. I ended up financing $9000.00 in the end. Just FYI a similar vehicle in my area costs $19,000.00 to $21,000.00 or more depending on the size of the dealership. Other dealers won't deal with 100,000 plus mile rigs.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I like those small dealers. Most of them treat you like family instead of just a piece of meat that they can sink their claws in.

Small dealer + good people + lower overhead = better deals for the customer

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'd say you got yourself a helluva deal there boss! One thing about a diesel is they last FORVER, the body of the truck will rust out and fall appart and the engine will still be kicking strong at a million plus miles.

brokersdad

Equipment
2001 Kubota L3010 w FEL
Oct 24, 2009
Canada
Hey I-C Smoke... hows that cummns handle the gooseneck? Any specs on the trailer and type? Was looking at one about 24' but thought it may be a bit too heavy ?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I have a friend with a 94 Dodge with a 12 valve cummins and he pulls a 35' dual tandum axle trailer without any trouble at all. They can get 19 (1000 lb) rolls of hay on it and do this on a regular basis. They also have a 02 Dodge and have pulled the same trailer with a TD8 Dresser dozer and a 226 Cat skid steer on it at the same time. A 24' trailer would be fine behind your Dodge.

RichardSATX

Equipment
B2400HD, RTV1140, L3800
Apr 15, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Here is my tow vehicle. Have a number of trailers. 2005 Super Duty. It has the 6.0 Powerstroke. Unlike a lot of folks I guess, I have 111k with no problems at all. Straight exhaust, SCT tuner, bigger intake, and soon head studs just in case. It has pulled hard all of it's life. Everything from a fifth wheel to goose necks, and a large tandem on the hitch.