Orange "Personnel" Maintenance

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
We are all into maintaining our "Orange Iron" and we do draw from a well of knowledge on this site:D. This may not be the place for this :rolleyes:but I have found it has helps keep my blood pressure in check when wrestling with an ill Kubota and it DOES take the edge off on the cheap.
Here it goes...:eek:

Apple Jack or Orange Jack with an Attitude

The object is to make very good hooch on the cheap.

First…. I start with a 30 gallon polypropylene container with an open top with a tight fitting lid that can be taped along the lid seam to make it air tight. If you are going to go to all this trouble may as well make it worth while. The other items you’ll need are;

2 cups of lemon or lime juice
2 packets of EC1118 wine yeast
1 oz. Pectic enzyme
1 Fermentation container “(i.e. poly drum) bubbler” vent
30# Sugar
Thermometer
1 Roll electrical tape

You can get the yeast and enzyme at any brew shop or on line for about $6.00.
I use “How Do You Brew” in Newark, DE.
www.howdoyoubrew.com

DO NOT USE METAL CONTAINERS.

Second…. Get hooked up with a supermarket to secure their daily “culled throwaways”. I get a bushel of very good apples or oranges for a $1.00 and average 2 bushels a day if I want them.

Third…. Sterilize the poly container and rinse it several times. If wild yeast gets started it will ruin your batch…. Keep everything clean.

Fourth… secure about 2 ½ bushels of apples and run them through a blender to puree consistency and store in the poly container. This makes about 15 gallons of mash. Stir in the Pectic enzyme cover and let set for 24 hours stored in a warm location 70 to 80 degrees F.. During the wait do two things.

A. Take about ½ cup of the apple mash and put it in a ½ gallon jar with 2 tsp of lime juice. In a separate container prepare 1 quart of sugar water by putting one cup of sugar in a quart of water (non-chlorinated) making sure it is dissolved to a clear liquid. Pour the sugar water into the ½ gallon mash jar and allow it to warm to approximately 76 degrees F. Once warmed, pour the packet of yeast in the sugar water/mash mixture and stir well. Loosely cover the jar and place it in a warm location for 24 hours.

B. While waiting the 24 hours drill a hole in the poly container lid to accommodate the bubbler vent stopper. Once done place the lid back on the poly container with the vent in place.

Fifth… Dissolve the 30# of sugar in approximately 15 gallons of non-chlorinated water until the sugar solution is clear. Make sure the solution is around 75 degrees F and pour it into the apple mash container and stir vigorously. I use a portable drill and a drywall “mud” mixing paddle…. It works GREAT.
Now it is time to “pitch” the yeast in the poly mash container. Take the ½ gallon sugar/mash/yeast jar and pour it into the 15 gallons of apple mash and stir very well. Dissolve Cover, with bubbler vent in place, and seal the lid seam with a turn of electrical tape.

Sixth… the next day remove the tape and lid and with a clean “something” gently stir the “cap” that formed overnight back into the mash. Replace the lid, bubbler vent and tape seal. In a few hours you’ll observe the vent starting to bubble as carbon dioxide is formed during fermentation. Keep the poly container warm and observe the bubbler over the next 10 to 14 days. Do not disturb it during this time.

Seventh… once the bubbler has almost stopped bubbling it is time to pop the top and strain the solids from the liquid in the container. I use a mesh screen sieve. You will need to have a couple of very clean temporary containers on hand to store the separated liquid wine. Yep… I said wine… about 11 to 14 % ethanol at this time. The best containers I have found are the 5 gallon water cooler bottles because if you wanted to invest approximately $10 more in you apple jack endeavor and purchase a couple or three more bubbler vents you could use these jugs to clarify the wine. In any case discard the strained solids and place the captured wine in a sealed container(s) with bubbler(s) in place and allow the suspended solids to settle over the next 30 or so days.

Eight…. carefully siphon off the more “clearer” wine from the sediment in the container. This is called racking.

Ninth… unless you have a distillation apparatus the next best way to increase the ethanol concentration in the wine is to remove the water through fractional crystallization (i.e. freezing) . Place some wine in a plastic container (do not fill it completely), loosely cover it and place it in a freezer. After a period of time remove it and carefully skim of the ice and allow the wine to melt (don’t forget to keep it covered). Refreeze the same wine and repeat the process until there is no more ice forming, as ethanol does not freeze at freezer temps. This will make around 5 gallons and really should be stored in a glass 5 gallon water cooler jug as to make sure a plastic jug could leach yucky tasts in the homebrew.

Tenth…. Keep a drinking glass handy… you now have apple jack that should be around 30 to 35 percent alcohol or 60 to 70 proof.

It is best if allowed to age with charred oak chips, however it does not usually last that long…. Bottoms Up!

Ps…. Think apples are good;)…. Wait till you try oranges:cool: and the like….

tow2topgun

Equipment
b6000
Feb 11, 2010
Dallas, Ga
Been a while since I've had some apple brandy. Sounds good but seems like it would be easier to track down rings, pistons, cylinder sleeves, and injectors for a B6000 rebuild!

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Thank you Butch for posting that hooch recipe. Summers on the way and that's gonna be a fun project.

Scott

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Guys... I did peaches last fall and there was a line at my door.... need I say more? Made 6 gallons and aged less than 24 hours and by the time all my "friends" got a few ounces to sample (at 144 proof I might add:D) I had only a couple of 3L groogs for myself and family.

The neat thing about my brew is I only take the middle cut being taking great pains to cut the foreshot (pawpaw's fusal oil) and the tails. I was told this was the smoothest hooch they had ever tasted and the after effects were nothing like what happens when you drink top rail store bought stuff.

My neighbor a law officer begged me to make some more... he even had a tear in his eye:eek:.

Sorry to be off subject just thought it would be fun to lighten the day a bit...:rolleyes:

Butch

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
Butch you my kind of man. Except in TN.. NOT ME but other people use a lot of copper or brass for other things. This is bad but I remember the time a lot of people used car radiators call it what it is moonshine. BUT NOT ME. that poisoned my uncle bad s--t. handy

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
....Sorry to be off subject just thought it would be fun to lighten the day a bit...:rolleyes:
Hey Butch,
I don't think this is off topic at all. We are all here because we do have things in common starting with the tractors. If I have something in common with another person then you bet I'll stand around shoot'n the junk with them. You make the most awesome hooch I've heard of and I make home brew beer.

Thanks for starting this thread, it's neat to see what we all have in common in addition to the tractors. Well so far it's tractors and booze :cool:

Scott

Durangogeek

Equipment
L2800HST, MacBook Pro 13, Cessna 182
Mar 16, 2010
Durango, CO
Butch you my kind of man. Except in TN.. NOT ME but other people use a lot of copper or brass for other things. This is bad but I remember the time a lot of people used car radiators call it what it is moonshine. BUT NOT ME. that poisoned my uncle bad s--t. handy
Handy:

I've got family over the hill in Crossville. They've brought me a couple care packages that flat knocked my socks off. I prefer stuff that's been age a bit.

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
:D Yeah I have relatives over that way was it smooth? Next time your in crossville let me know if nothing going on I will make a special effort to see ya. I am about 30 min away . handy

Durangogeek

Equipment
L2800HST, MacBook Pro 13, Cessna 182
Mar 16, 2010
Durango, CO
Yeah we come pretty close to your way going between Crossville and Athens. Went right through Dayton when we lived in Atlanta. The shine was pretty good, but a bit dribbled down the side of the glass and ate the finish off a formica table. I decided that I'd be better off with things a bit more aged.

digg71

Equipment
B3200 w/ FEL, Box Scraper, Post Hole Auger, 4' Rotary Cutter, Snowblower
Mar 7, 2010
Western N.Y.
Butch, That is one heck of a recipe..:cool: I have always wanted to try something like this. I have read it over and over now and it don't seem to be getting any easier...:eek: Wow, it seems complicated to me...haha

I work for the Nations largest manufacturer of private label fruit juices, with all of the flavorings and ingredients we use, I am pretty sure i can come up with the 30 gallon poly drum. Seeing I work in Receiving, I inspect and oversee all of the incoming materials, I can keep my eye out for such a container.

If I decide to attack this "project", I am sure I will have plenty of questions.

Thanks for the great sounding recipe..;)

Jim

Oh and Durangogeek, I am going to try to forget I read about the hooch "eating finish off a formica table". Butch's recipe seems tricky enough, I don't need anything else scaring me away for trying to make my own "stuff"....lol

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Jim.... I'd be concerned about any "hooch" that went after plastic of any kind:eek:. But I will have to admit even the good stuff will disolve alkyd paint to some extent if it is around 160 proof or more. I prefer it cut to between 90 and 120 proof. Better flavor, easier on the gullet, and it makes the run last looooonger.;)

However.... if you are going to mix it with juices and the like.... use the high test.... it is diluted by the juice and the flavor is right up there.:p

Have a great day! Butch

PS.... it is quite an involved process, however this ain't the sell'in hooch you'd get out of the mountains. We go for quality over quanity.:D

digg71

Equipment
B3200 w/ FEL, Box Scraper, Post Hole Auger, 4' Rotary Cutter, Snowblower
Mar 7, 2010
Western N.Y.
Butch, I would really like to give it a try. I may be asking for pointers if I tackle this...:)

ptwyz

Equipment
BX2660, FEL, tiller, disc cultivator, tine cultivator, rear blade, MMM, & more!!
Jan 7, 2010
McCutchenville, Ohio, USA
Hey Butch,
I don't think this is off topic at all. We are all here because we do have things in common starting with the tractors. If I have something in common with another person then you bet I'll stand around shoot'n the junk with them. You make the most awesome hooch I've heard of and I make home brew beer.

Thanks for starting this thread, it's neat to see what we all have in common in addition to the tractors. Well so far it's tractors and booze :cool:
Scott
It does'nt get any better than this :D:D:D

As long as it is done separately.

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
It does'nt get any better than this :D:D:D

As long as it is done separately.
I guess this isn't the right time to tell you I can't even count how many times I've spilled my beer while trying to operate the FEL at the same time :rolleyes:

Scott

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Please explain??
I only take the middle cut being taking great pains to cut the foreshot (pawpaw's fusal oil) and the tails.

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Uhhhh:rolleyes:.... "cuts" is a distillation term. Various species in a liquid mixture or solution vaporizes at a particular temperature. In distillation that vapor is collected at the head of the distillation apparatus and is cooled and condensed again as a liquid. Middle cut in alcohol distillation it that portion that vaporizes between approximately 186 and 201 degrees F and is characterized as the heads/middle run. Anything... like wood alcohol and acetone comes that comes off before 186 degrees F is considered the "foreshot" and any thing that comes off after let's say 201 degrees F is called tails. Under NO circumstances should one imbibe on any portion of the foreshot.... period. That will get you hurt!

The actual cuts boil down to (no punn intended :rolleyes: yeh right!) on the middle cut is the taste and how the fractions of the heads/middle cut are blended.

In the old days "sell'n whiskey and and "blind'n" shine was made for volume not quality; so a lot of times it contained the foreshot and tails.... njot good:mad:!
Also to make matters worse the mountain "shiners" would use things like auto radiators as condensers that contained lead and other impurities that leached into their product:(. If you are gonna sip shine you best know where it came from....

If you are really interested in learning about what is produced when you make shine... google ethanol production and congeners formed during fermentation and distillation. Some congeners are good and some are real crappy to say the least. A good brewmaster learns to control the formation of congeners in his brew.

Hope this answered your question....:D
Butch