zL2201 new for me... how old is it?

Hefty2000

Equipment
ZL2201-A
Jan 31, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Found this great grey-market rig in AZ... hard to believe it only has 12.4 hours on the meter. However, it looks brand new... possibly a little weather beaten... but only on the front tires and the rear fender turn indicator light assy's (seem dry). All paint (hood, fenders, frame, engine) all looks brand new.

Should I believe the hobbs meter reading?

Guess it doesn't matter... I bought it! Has small gannon/box/rake on the rear and loader on the front... got it for 5800 bucks. Decided I needed a tractor since we just moved into a nice house with 1.5 acres.

I'll post a picture when I get it tomorrow.

I haven't been this excited since I got my drivers license when I was 16 !:D

Is there anyway to determine year of manufacture or refurbishment?

Thanks!
Steve

Hefty2000

Equipment
ZL2201-A
Jan 31, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Thanks SD-Vic!!!
I am amazed that a tractor made in the 70's can be refurbished to look so new.

Thanks for warning about loader! I did go around all the zirk grease fitting Igo find and grease them. Also, I think I saw some other post from someone with similar tractor that said it was equivalent to Ku'ta L245 ? Is that accurate?

Do you have a suggestion on tie rod ends? The rubber boots on two of mine are shot... so eventually I want to replace (or should I just find some new rubber boots? not sure if those are a replaceable unit?)

Also, I saw a Preventative Maintenance guide in a Ku'ta manual for a L235-275 which said to change radiator mix each 3 months to ensure de calicifier (ku'ta product) was renewed. That seems too frequent?

I am interested in Mr. K's maintenance guide... can you provide a link?

Thanks for all your hard work in keeping up a great site for us tractor nuts!!!
Hats off to you!

Cheers
steve

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
That is indeed one sharp lookin tractor you have there Steve. Thats kinda what I'd like to upgrade to on my next tractor.

Eric

Hefty2000

Equipment
ZL2201-A
Jan 31, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Hi Eric!
thanks for compliment...I'll ensure I let the zen-kub knows of your praise. I worked for a couple of hours yesterday moving a pile (23 tons) of 1/4 minus fill/compaction sand/dirt about 150 yards. What fun...but only proved what a novice I am. I never knew "tractor-ing" was such work. One's upper body is constantly moving... shifting gears ..forward and back... running the hydraulic lever for the loader...steering the pig with a probably bigger than spec. load in the bucket... wondering when the rear wheels would come off the ground..etc...

I thought the tractor was suppose to do the work?

Again, most fun I have had since getting my license in 1980 when I was 16!! I guess I should have been a farmer!!! :cool:

I watched craigslist for more than 4 months... then two Saturday's ago...up popped this gem local here in Phoenix. I think it was a smokin deal with loader and all.

I need to fix the front head lights. Fuses look good, but wiring looks a bit dry and cracked. I didn't have time last night to pull out the volt meter to see where the "juice" ends. Always too much to do!!

Take care!
S

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Yeah sometimes it seems you have to be fit and in shape to run a tractor with all the moving you do, but I can tell ya this much, it's a helluva lot faster and more efficient then a rake and shovel! How long did it take to knock down and spread out 23 tons? And as with anything else like getting your learners permit you get better in time. I wish I lived close by to come out and give you some operation pointers. I own a landscape biz on the side and grew up playing on tractors and I push mine to the limits and then some!

Hefty2000

Equipment
ZL2201-A
Jan 31, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Yeah sometimes it seems you have to be fit and in shape to run a tractor with all the moving you do, but I can tell ya this much, it's a helluva lot faster and more efficient then a rake and shovel! How long did it take to knock down and spread out 23 tons? And as with anything else like getting your learners permit you get better in time. I wish I lived close by to come out and give you some operation pointers. I own a landscape biz on the side and grew up playing on tractors and I push mine to the limits and then some!

Hi Eric,
Took somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-4 hours...but I was probably moving around 100 yards (distance) or more... half in reverse, then turn around and dump.... It took some extra time as the pile wore down as It was dumped on a 24" 30deg incline from lot grade up to the driveway...at a skew angle with respect to fence line that I as following back to the back yard...

Today spent about 4 hours making a small moto x track for the boys on the back half acre. I am slowly getting the hang of it...

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Thats not half bad timing. I always say go slow and take your time to do it right once so you don't have to go back over it eleventybillion times to make it right.

Hefty2000

Equipment
ZL2201-A
Jan 31, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
....hmmm....
although having to go over it eleventybillion times... just might be fun.... !!?
I actually bought a particle/paint vapour mask cuz that darn exhaust seems to blow right in my face... or at least faces 90 degrees out ...but at head height....
I was coughin up diesel exhuast at night!!!

I love the smell of diesel...and diesel exhaust...but I have had my fill !!!

go figure... been rainin in PHoenix ? in the desert.... too soupy the last 2 or 3 weekends to do anything... poor little orange feller is just sittin' there!!!