Zero turn tires for hilly yard

Hotrod363765

Equipment
Kubota z125e
Aug 11, 2022
North Carolina
I'm trying to find something with a more aggressive tread design for mowing steeper slopes in my yard. The stock turf tires don't have enough traction when going downhill. The tire size is 22x10-14.
So far all I've found would be a atv or golf cart tire. Anyone have ideas? Thanks, Jeff

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Be careful, if the factory tires are losing the traction with the correct amount of pressure on dry turf, you may be pushing the limits of the mower. if you good to a more aggressive thread it may damage the normally flat areas. Depending the incline wear your seatbelt and have the ROPS locked in the up position.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Did the same thing with my "beater" ZTR. I put ATV tires on it and it's damn near unstoppable when my property is wet. Just about any ATV tire will be better (traction wise) than lawn mower tires. You can also get them in heavier ply ratings.

cub cadet drive wheels.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I'm trying to find something with a more aggressive tread design for mowing steeper slopes in my yard. The stock turf tires don't have enough traction when going downhill. The tire size is 22x10-14.
So far all I've found would be a atv or golf cart tire. Anyone have ideas? Thanks, Jeff
I looked, and that is an odd size tire. Rim actually. Have you tried adding some fluid to the tires for extra weight? I filled my Cub cadet rear tires with water/RV anti freeze and don't slip and slide anymore.

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Being on sandy soil, my atv shreds my grass on turns. Most likely due to the solid rear axle. Do these tires rip up the grass on turns.? With my zero turn, I avoid zero turns when cutting cuz the turf tires do a little damage.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Being on sandy soil, my atv shreds my grass on turns. Most likely due to the solid rear axle. Do these tires rip up the grass on turns.? With my zero turn, I avoid zero turns when cutting cuz the turf tires do a little damage.
Not sure who your question was directed to...

You are correct on atv/solid axle. Inner tire needs to slip on turns resulting in tearing stuff up. There are a few machines (I know Honda had that option) that can be put into "turf mode" that unlocks the rear diff.

ATV tires on ZTR - they will rip up grass on turns if you're not careful (just like any other tire). But that is more about technique than the tire itself.

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Same here with my zero turn and sandy soil. I usually do small radius 3pt turns or J turns to avoid tearing up the lawn.

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Yep. Love my zero turn. Spots where I must turn are always missing grass from the inside rear wheel. Still learning and getting better. But I also have some steep slopes that I haven’t attempted yet, and get out the old cub cadet tractor to do these.. I’ve considered some higher grip rear tires for these slopes, but the caveat is more turf damage….thus why I asked. 😊😊

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Yep. Love my zero turn. Spots where I must turn are always missing grass from the inside rear wheel. Still learning and getting better. But I also have some steep slopes that I haven’t attempted yet, and get out the old cub cadet tractor to do these.. I’ve considered some higher grip rear tires for these slopes, but the caveat is more turf damage….thus why I asked. 😊😊
I found it easier to slowly drive up the hill with the ztr and reverse down. This doesn't work if the hill is too steep though, I have done wheelies in the past 😅

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
I recently purchased a new Ferris Z and went through the same tire selection problem. I ended up running chevron style tread, which is what I ran on my previous machine for 18 years. They work for me.

One thing I did learn is that the size printed on the tire is more like a rough guess.o_O I was told that tire measurements are taken at full operating pressure. I don't know if that's true but some tires I looked at varied in width and height measurements by 1 1/2 inches. Another thing to check is the load rating. Some ATV tires may have a rating around 400 lbs, while a similar size/ appearance tire may be rated for 1,300 lbs.
These are things you may want to keep in mind for clearance, cut height and safety. My machine weighs over 1,200 lbs.
100_1869.JPG

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
I too have a Ferris. ISX2200. Same oil system as yours.
In your opinion do they hold cutting a slope better than the turfs? How about turf damage? I know the inside tire, no matter what tread will shred the lawn if the operator spins around on a dime, but how is it for 3 pt turns or gradual turns.

Last edited:

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
I too have a Ferris. ISX2200. Same oil system as yours.
In your opinion do they hold cutting a slope better than the turfs? How about turf damage? I know the inside tire, no matter what tread will shred the lawn if the operator spins around on a dime, but how is it for 3 pt turns or gradual turns.
Just so you know, I live in the country. My lawn used to be pasture, so I'm not as particular as someone with a manicured lawn.
I think the new tires were a big improvement over the supplied turfs. Side slopes that had been impossible with the turfs will sometimes suffer some damage with the new tires.
A short hill that I mow up and down could not be climbed with the turfs and going down used to be a slightly controlled skid. Now it's possible w/o skidding.

I read once that the advantage of four wheel drive was the ability to get stuck in more inaccessible places.
The places that I do some turf damage with my new tires are places that I couldn't even go with the turfs.

I can now mow close to my pond without sliding. I actually did damage with the turfs sliding sideways in the same spot. (That's what prompted my tire change. :eek::eek::eek:)

If you are careful and take reasonable turns you will be fine, if you really want to destroy your grass you can do that too. Just try a few power turns when the lawn is wet.:oops:

BTW, I sold my old mower (a Ferris 1000z, that has chevron tread tires) to my neighbor. He is happy with the tires and has no plains of changing to turfs.

Reactions: 1 user

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Thank you for your detailed post. Yes, I live in the country as well. I cut about 1.5 acres. Some wooded area, and along a creek and wetlands, and some along a road edge which is steep. I always managed to cut this slope with my old cub cadet rider, and could easily shift my butt to the uphill side to feel more comfortable. Can’t do that with the Ferris. I too have experienced a couple out of control downhill slides 😳😳😨

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Thank you for your detailed post. Yes, I live in the country as well. I cut about 1.5 acres. Some wooded area, and along a creek and wetlands, and some along a road edge which is steep. I always managed to cut this slope with my old cub cadet rider, and could easily shift my butt to the uphill side to feel more comfortable. Can’t do that with the Ferris. I too have experienced a couple out of control downhill slides 😳😳😨
Sliding down a steep slope ending in a deep pond with the rear tires going in full reverse is a good wake up call. Having to drive forward to stop the slide and slow down isn't intuitive. Bar tires fixed the slide issues for me...and avoiding turns on steep slopes or while going straight up/down hills with wet grass.

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
I read once that the advantage of four wheel drive was the ability to get stuck in more inaccessible places.
I take your point as intended, but another relevant take is that on a tractor or any other thing which essentially only has two 'braked' wheels, 4 wheel drive doubles your braking traction by getting all 4 tires involved in it! I know zero turns put basically all their weight on their rear tires and 4wd is totally irrelevant to zero turns, but it might be a relevant concept for someone deciding between a zero turn and a SCUT for mowing duties on 'interesting terrain'.

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
I take your point as intended, but another relevant take is that on a tractor or any other thing which essentially only has two 'braked' wheels, 4 wheel drive doubles your braking traction by getting all 4 tires involved in it! I know zero turns put basically all their weight on their rear tires and 4wd is totally irrelevant to zero turns, but it might be a relevant concept for someone deciding between a zero turn and a SCUT for mowing duties on 'interesting terrain'.

I actually looked into a Kubota B and BX for my mowing before buying the Ferris. IMHO as far as value goes I think the tractor wins. Diesel engine, 4wd etc. I just don't have enough hills to make the tractor worthwhile.
On decent ground the Z is soooo much faster. I spend too much time mowing now.:LOL:

Reactions: 1 user

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
I hope to eventually achieve 'decent ground' on the ~2.5 acres i have to mow. I have tried a couple of zero turns I was working on for others out here and the ride is too rough to use the greater speed. But, i intend to eventually rip up and smooth out the whole thing and start over as there isn't a spot of grass on it i actually like anyway (used to be a hay field).