Zero Turn Mowers

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
The F series mowers are awesome. Also awesomely expensive unfortunately.
True but it will be the last mower I ever buy! I'd want a cab version but I need to cut all the lower branches on my trees....

Cleaning the decks on a K ZTR is a PITA. I think the F series flips up. Keep deck maintenance in mind when checking out various machines. Ask them to demo the feature.

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
True but it will be the last mower I ever buy! I'd want a cab version but I need to cut all the lower branches on my trees....

Cleaning the decks on a K ZTR is a PITA. I think the F series flips up. Keep deck maintenance in mind when checking out various machines. Ask them to demo the feature.
One of the design features that sold me on the F series is with the mower deck out front, it is easy to stick just it under low hanging branches instead of driving under the branches. With the ZTR, you are basically sitting almost on top of the deck like a tractor with a mid-mount finishing deck. I am looking forward to having a deck out front, I just hope the early August delivery date is somewhat close to accurate or it will be next Spring before I can use it.

My 955 was built before the fold over ROPS was available which is an added pain when mowing under trees but it does a good and fairly fast job.

Rodger
Deere 955.JPG

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Also look at Scag mowers Tiger Cat or Turf Tiger. Unlike most all mowers now days the spindles are greasable also the blade bolts go thru the spindle leaving the bearing preload unaffected.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Get one that is easy to service and will last a long time. This has grease zerts on the front wheels, one at each spindle, one at each end of the drive shaft coming up to the deck (7 total). Deck belt easy to change, but I've never had to change one. Double belts off the PTO pulley down to drive shaft. Never change any of those either. It's made to work all day. Kubota engine.

Attachments

Hunter1157

Equipment
MX 6000 HST Cab, Kubota RTV X1140
Apr 26, 2020
Palestine, Tx.
Easy, trade your Ferris in on a Ferris ZT
I agree with this statement. I have a Ferris 800 ISX with the EFi Kawasaki engine and love it. The 4 wheel independent suspension rides great and they have a great warranty.

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I purchased my Ariens 60" 25 hp zero turn a couple of years ago. Just got fed up with the installation and removal of the mmm on my 7200. I would have preferred to get a Kubota model but found most models very similar in design but big differences in price. Would have liked a Ferris with full suspension but simply way too costly. I did add an aftermarket seat suspension system from Amazon that helps a bit. The zero turn is great on mostly level ground with some small slopes if it is dry. Any steep slopes I do with the bush hog and Kubota (or weed whacker and walk behind mower). The zero turn has mostly cut my mowing time in half. I only wish that I had purchased one earlier.
As far as blade maintenance or cleaning I have a chain fall where I just raise up the front high enough to easily work on it. I add blocking for safety.
And yes they can be dangerous if not respected. A local 70 year old was using a smaller one on his property last year. Flipped it into a ditch and unfortunately died.

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
Also look at Scag mowers Tiger Cat or Turf Tiger. Unlike most all mowers now days the spindles are greasable also the blade bolts go thru the spindle leaving the bearing preload unaffected.
Recently went through the process of researching zero turn mowers..........One thing that helped was to download the owners manual to view the "how to" portion of the maintenance requirements.

Some of the important things to me:
Greasable Spindles
Ease of Changing Belts
Type of Adjustment System on the Belts
Commercial Grade Engine
Overall Durability

Grasshopper and Scag was at the top of the list..........Finally bought the Scag Tiger Cat II, after getting it home from the dealership and looking it over, discovered it had 2 charcoal canisters in line from the fuel tanks (to satisfy the California requirements)? After removing the charcoal canisters and by-passing them, I'm now happy with the purchase. FWIW the charcoal canisters and create some problems if you fill the fuel tank too full or possibly mowing a steep incline or raising the front of the mower too high when changing blades.

I also checked out Kubota mowers, however it appears you have to purchase an owners manual to check out the maintenance details, etc of the mower.

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
I agree with this statement. I have a Ferris 800 ISX with the EFi Kawasaki engine and love it. The 4 wheel independent suspension rides great and they have a great warranty.
I'll second that.
My back being pretty messed up, plus being old:oops: pushed me into a new Ferris.
I had a 18 year old rigid frame Ferris that was working fine except for the ride. After trying a couple of different suspension seats I threw in the towel and bought a new ISX2200.
I have several slopes and ditches and the suspension really helps. Some of the open flat areas I mow at around 10 mph and get a good cut. IMO these mowers are leaps and bounds ahead of rigid frame units.
A40617AD-E766-46F7-897A-EF72BBD23873_1_105_c.jpeg

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I also checked out Kubota mowers, however it appears you have to purchase an owners manual to check out the maintenance details, etc of the mower.
Try the Canadian website the operator manuals are a free download. Here are examples

Reactions: 1 user

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
Try the Canadian website the operator manuals are a free download. Here are examples
That is where I downloaded the manual before I placed an order for my F-2690 commercial front mount mower. Now I have the manual while waiting on the equipment, maybe it will get here in time to mow once or twice this season.

Rodger

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Looking for some advice on zero turn mowers. I have about 2 of seven acres that I keep mowed in the summer. I have been doing it with a Ferris commercial mower. It's a lot of walking but I don't mind it in the cooler months, it gets brutal when it gets to be July and August. Since I'm pushing 70 it's may be time to make life easier.
I do have 3 tractors but they all have R-1 tires, and I don't think they would be as maneuverable as a zero turn.
The area I keep mowed is mostly gentle slope or flat, small percentage is maybe 15 degree slope.
Does anyone have experience with the smaller Kubota mowers?
What angle of slope could I expect to mow with a zero turn.

Any advice is welcome.
IMO the best bang for the buck is the SCAG Liberty Z.
It is a homeowner machine with Mitsubishi engine, and commercial quality parts/fabrication.
I had a JD riding tractor mower for years.
At 81 now, this SCAG Liberty Z is a dream to mow with, and at least twice as fast.
Buy an aftermarket seat suspension kit on Amazon though ($180).

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
Great Info.......thanks for sharing!!

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
IMO the best bang for the buck is the SCAG Liberty Z.
It is a homeowner machine with Mitsubishi engine, and commercial quality parts/fabrication.
I had a JD riding tractor mower for years.
At 81 now, this SCAG Liberty Z is a dream to mow with, and at least twice as fast.
Buy an aftermarket seat suspension kit on Amazon though ($180).
Mitsubishi Engine??

Scag list Kawasaki, Kohler, Briggs, and Scag SR Series as engine options on the Scag Liberty Z

Apparently the Scag SR mfg by Loncin Engine,,,,,,same company that makes the Predator engines for Harbor Freight

FWIW, this is the info I found when researching "Scag SR engines".

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Mitsubishi Engine??

Scag list Kawasaki, Kohler, Briggs, and Scag SR Series as engine options on the Scag Liberty Z

Apparently the Scag SR mfg by Loncin Engine,,,,,,same company that makes the Predator engines for Harbor Freight

FWIW, this is the info I found when researching "Scag SR engines".
Sadly, I too just discovered that the Kawasaki engine is gone from the SCAG Liberty Z, replaced by a Chinese built (SR) engine.
Tuft torq 450 hydros are also now being used in the Liberty Z.

In late 2020, my Liberty Z came with Kawasaki engine, and ZT 2800 hydros.
Soooo Glad I bought it then!

The 2022 business model........ Hold the price, but lessen the product!
"Shrinkflation", even in ZT mowers!

Last edited:

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
...getting down wasn't so bad but at 80 years old trying to get back up was the problem...
^^^^

Hah.....isn't that the truth. I'm not quite 70 yrs. old yet, but sometimes when I am down on my knees or working on something laying on my side, I'll look around and see if there is anything else that needs to be done while I'm down there....before I try to get back up! ;)

Reactions: 1 user

Bill hopkins

Equipment
7100 kubota
May 23, 2022
Ga
I have the Flip-Up style by Hustler 54" cut...I got tired having to lie under my mower to change blades....getting down wasn't so bad but at 80 years old trying to get back up was the problem...Now I can stand and change the blades and wash the deck.....just push a button and the deck flips up...very nice.
View attachment 84665
I wouldn't mind if they all had that feature..