Zero turn Mowers—What’s best?

Chinook3

Equipment
BX2380,FEL344S,LP forks,BX2816snowb50,mmm60, log arch, Wicked 55 grapple
Nov 13, 2020
Michigan
Finding out my new BX2380 is a great tractor but I just can’t get the yard trimmed properly, so I am in need of a trim mower. Thinking a zero turn is the way to go. Since I have a 60in MMM on my Kubota I am looking for a 42/48 inch deck. I don’t know much about zero turns and I see forums differentiate between mid mount and front mount. What should I be considering. Looking to keep my budget in that $3K range.

Thanks
Chinook3

NetMagi

Equipment
BX25D (sold), L2501HST w/BH77 Backhoe
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
Just my .02, but if you're looking to buy a zero turn anyway, I wouldn't look at it as filling in the gaps for the BX, but instead having it wholly replace how you cut your lawn. You probably feel some attachment to cutting with the BX since it was one of the purposes you bought it for, but in my experience a zero turn is better in every way for cutting grass. Even on steep hills where a BX in 4WD was almost necessary, the steering wheel ZT's do an excellent job.

I would sell the MMM deck and buy the right ZT for all your grass cutting. Leave the BX for loader and 3-pt work. You'll have much better ground clearance with that deck off too.

Switching to mowing with a zero turn on my property cut my seat time to 1/3rd.

Edit:
Forget to answer your actual question :) If you don't have any major hills, an orange friend for your BX would be the way to go. If you have steep hills, I really like my cub cadet pro 960s. Cuts on, and will turn up my 26 degree slopes no problem. I think a lot of people just can't take the ZT's with a steering wheel seriously, because they have a steering wheel. It's a shame because I demo'd 4 different ZT's on the slope I cut (Ferris, Kioti, Exmark, and Cub Cadet). The Ferris, Kioti and Exmark were all lapbar machines and were superior on the rest of my yard but would not hold my front slope. The exmark came close if you went real slow, but inevitably, as soon as it slipped, the front casters would turn down the hill and there you went. The cub cadet with the steering wheel just holds and holds.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Chinook3

Equipment
Nov 13, 2020
Michigan
So you are saying some ZT come with steering wheels????? Never knew that before.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
2 years ago I somewhat did what NetMagi has suggested to you. Basically I sold my low hour B2650 with 72" mmm and replaced it with an L2501, and Ferris Z2100 with 61" deck and Kawasaki motor for all my mowing. The Ferris rides much nicer than the tractor on my rough ground and mows way faster and better.
I know it's easy spending someone else's money but just like with riding mowers I suggest looking at ones with good hydro pump(s), maybe a heavy duty consumer line or light commercial. Bad Boy offers a wide selection and seem to be competitively priced.

ZTMAN

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2018
South Central Pa
Cub Cadet makes three models of the above mower. My neighbor has one, but I don't know which model, but it seems to work well for him. Said he got it because he did not like to steer with levers

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
What about your current setup isn't mowing to your taste? "I just can't get the yard trimmed properly" could mean you can't get into the corners, or could mean you don't like the cut quality, or could mean you want a bagger. Very different answers for those different things.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
If you only have a little bit to trim up, keep your tractor mower and go buy a $200 push mower.

Chinook3

Equipment
Nov 13, 2020
Michigan
That’s what i put in my first note — way too much trimming. i just can’t get close enough with trees, boulders and one steep hillside. Way too much trimming. I still plan to use the Kubota so the ZT will not be the primary mower and I am sure I will still need to push mow a few spots.

Chinook3

Equipment
Nov 13, 2020
Michigan
That’s what I am thinking too!!!

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
The title asks "what's best?" I in my opinion the Ferris full suspension ztr line is the best, but you're not gonna find one anywhere near 3K. Also, if you got the best ztr, you would never want to mow with your bx again. Probably not the answer you're looking for, but from my experience, I've learned that not trimming is always faster than trimming. I have spent time getting rid of stuff to trim. No more mulch, replaced by river rock and rock edging that can be mowed right up to. Trees have been limbed to be able to mow around easily. I removed any annoying shrub/bush that was difficult to mow around. Smoothed out/leveled difficult to mow areas. Filled in tight corner areas with river rock. Etc, etc. I used to spend an hour trimming every time I mowed. Now it's a quick 5 minutes with a string trimmer. The hours I spent to trim proof my yard has paid off year after year. I had originally planned on buying a push mower for the trimming, glad I changed my mind. This may not be a feasible option for your yard, but something worth considering. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

Reactions: 1 users

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
The title asks "what's best?" I in my opinion the Ferris full suspension ztr line is the best, but you're not gonna find one anywhere near 3K. Also, if you got the best ztr, you would never want to mow with your bx again. Probably not the answer you're looking for, but from my experience, I've learned that not trimming is always faster than trimming. I have spent time getting rid of stuff to trim. No more mulch, replaced by river rock and rock edging that can be mowed right up to. Trees have been limbed to be able to mow around easily. I removed any annoying shrub/bush that was difficult to mow around. Smoothed out/leveled difficult to mow areas. Filled in tight corner areas with river rock. Etc, etc. I used to spend an hour trimming every time I mowed. Now it's a quick 5 minutes with a string trimmer. The hours I spent to trim proof my yard has paid off year after year. I had originally planned on buying a push mower for the trimming, glad I changed my mind. This may not be a feasible option for your yard, but something worth considering. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.
I did the same! Eliminated almost all my trim spots!

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
10-4 to freewheeler.. I've got a lot of grass and my trimming is minimal. If the wife wants to put something in the yard, " If it's in the way, I'm running over it."

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
10-4 to freewheeler.. I've got a lot of grass and my trimming is minimal. If the wife wants to put something in the yard, " If it's in the way, I'm running over it."
"No dear, I didn't mow them down. I don't know what happened to those plants, the deer must have liked them". ;)