ZD323 Electrical Issue

craigcpc

Equipment
ZD323
Sep 1, 2023
Katy, Texas
I worked all day trying to figure this out but came up empty. My zd323 has been giving me electrical issues but not sending enough voltage to the fuel pump for it to operate – I shorted it to the battery to get my yard cut so the pumps okay. I checked the key switch (referencing the WSM) and all checked out. Cleaned the connections on the starter solenoid and there’s a good 12.6 vdc. The strange thing is there’s only 2-3vdc on the fuses. According to the wiring diagram there should be a direct connection between the starter solenoid lug and those fuses. Does this sound like a short to ground case??? Thanks for the help.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
A short to ground would drain your battery pretty quickly and/or blow fuses. Is the 2-3 volts at the fuses on the input side or the output side? If it's the input side you're probably losing power due to bad connections. Check voltages in and out of the ignition switch. Find our how the fuse block gets its power.

craigcpc

Equipment
ZD323
Sep 1, 2023
Katy, Texas
Thanks, tested it on the input side. I did test the voltage coming in on the key and the same 2.x vdc is there also. Since there is only one wire coming from the starter solenoid there must be an area where the wires pigtail off to connect to the different fuses, but without taking off the whole jacket I can't see it; maybe the issue is in that area??? Also checked the slow-blow fuse and it has +12vdc on both sides.

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
Check your harness going back from the key switch and see the harness is chafed or rubbed thru. You might try pulling the fuses one at a time and see if the voltage comes up on the other fuses.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Would need to see the wiring diagram, but if you have +12 at starter and +2 at the keyswitch, it sounds like the main red power feed cable is very corroded or the primary sloblo fuse connection are bad.
On a hunch the ZD323 is very similar to the ZD321, I grabbed the WSM and looked at the wiring diagrm
+12 from starter/battery lug goes to 50 amp primary fuse then fuse panel. You should have +12 on both sides of the fuse. If not check the battery ground cable that could be bad.
You should measure from the battery -ve lug

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
yup could very well be a corroded wire. The ZD's had some issues with that. A voltage drop test would show it clearly.

craigcpc

Equipment
ZD323
Sep 1, 2023
Katy, Texas
Thanks folks! It did turn out to be a broken connection inside the wire harness. Four wires, main power from starter, two fuses, and one to the key. I scotched taped them all together and we’re back in business :)

craigcpc

Equipment
ZD323
Sep 1, 2023
Katy, Texas
Just kidding with the scotch tape; answered this from an ICU waiting room and needed to amuse myself I suppose.