ZD-1211 Stalled on incline

texaskubota

Equipment
ZD1211
Feb 28, 2023
Texas
So I have a battery that absolutely needs to be replaced. Even jumping the mower through the battery is a challenge. it's just plain bad and time for a new one.

Regardless, I have been able to get the mower started for now. I mention this as I'm not FULLY confident that a borderline dead battery wouldn't cause the following issue.

The issue: While on an incline, and the mower sideways (left side higher than the right) if the handles are to the side in their slots....The mower isles fine. When I then pull them into neutral, the mower would stall. This kept happening until I was able to QUICKLY forward the mower to level ground.

This is a new issue. I'm thinking fuel related? What could cause this? Both tanks have about the same amount of fuel

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have the switch bypassed.
Have you downloaded the WSM from Kubotabooks.com in the "Mowers" section?
Books
Its wiring diagram on page 222 shows a safety switch for each of the two levers, a brake switch and a pto switch.
Your symptoms suggest a safety switch is shutting down the mower.
Dave

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
I had issues with mine where it would stall when activating the PTO with a weak/faulty battery. Not enough power to activate the electric clutch and keep everything going. Replaced the battery and worked like a champ ever since. The only other item that comes to mind is the switch for the parking brake. Mine will shut down immediately if you move the levers from the parked position while the parking brake is on. If that switch started to act up it could definitely cause the symptoms you are describing. First things first I would replace the battery with a new one as you know it is an issue already. Keep us posted on your progress.

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
maybe your bypass mechanism is working loose. Seen that before. Quite a few times.

also look at your fuel valves making sure there not halfway on or off

running with a dead battery is hard on things. All I'm saying. Put a battery on it if you haven't already.

texaskubota

Equipment
ZD1211
Feb 28, 2023
Texas
Thanks for the input guys. I agree I definitely need to replace the battery before I even spend more brain power on it.

So odd to me that it only happened on an incline. Maybe more electrical power is needed somewhere than when it's level? I don't know.

And wow the batteries aren't exactly cheap compared to car batteries. Lowest price I can find for a 51R with a decent warranty is at Walmart for $150 (3yr warranty). All the auto parts stores show $200+

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Costco seems to be the same and I can't find a price for a Kubota (which it has now)....only seems to be at dealers and their websites aren't very helpful
Call your K dealer for prices. When I last replaced my tractor battery the K one was the best price all around.
My ZTR battery is toast and I will need to replace it this season. I wanted a competitive price on the costco batteries but find it's almost impossible to get pricing on a battery based on size directly from their website. I managed to find a link through google but I have to find a human in costco to try and order one

CDN$149.99

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Well CTC is $10 cheaper than Princess Auto !
BTW what happened to $50 batteries ????

51R is an 'odd' battery(Honda FIT, CRV, some forklifts )
maybe see IF you can stuff a 'normal' battery into the machine ?
I've done that a few times as itty bitty rider batteries are $$$, 'car' batteries are cheaper.

BTW, the 'R' means posts are Reveresed location +-->- spot, - --> + spot.

option ? see if new cables and a '51' battery is cheaper than a '51R' ??

texaskubota

Equipment
ZD1211
Feb 28, 2023
Texas
Call your K dealer for prices. When I last replaced my tractor battery the K one was the best price all around.
My ZTR battery is toast and I will need to replace it this season. I wanted a competitive price on the costco batteries but find it's almost impossible to get pricing on a battery based on size directly from their website. I managed to find a link through google but I have to find a human in costco to try and order one

CDN$149.99
So it's $190 at my local dealer :(

I guess I'm going to try wally world first.

texaskubota

Equipment
ZD1211
Feb 28, 2023
Texas
Well CTC is $10 cheaper than Princess Auto !
BTW what happened to $50 batteries ????

51R is an 'odd' battery(Honda FIT, CRV, some forklifts )
maybe see IF you can stuff a 'normal' battery into the machine ?
I've done that a few times as itty bitty rider batteries are $$$, 'car' batteries are cheaper.

BTW, the 'R' means posts are Reveresed location +-->- spot, - --> + spot.

option ? see if new cables and a '51' battery is cheaper than a '51R' ??
Yeah the 51R is an odd one.
It also has the welded frame so a regular battery won't fit. I could angle grind the frame but meh

It's almost like companies are trying nudge you to buy their specific products😌

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Yeah the 51R is an odd one.
It also has the welded frame so a regular battery won't fit. I could angle grind the frame but meh

It's almost like companies are trying nudge you to buy their specific products😌

i asked about this. "why" did they use an oddball battery, to one of the engineers. Of course it required a translator (english language to japanese...) and the response was that the 51R is the correct size, correct cranking amps, correct depth, weight, everything about it "fits" the machine better than, say, a more common 24 series.

Just repeating what they said, for what it's worth.

Don't forget to check powersports dealers, and if there are any battery suppliers near you, they sometimes will have "blem" batteries for pennies on the dollar. "Blems" are mislabeled, or scratched, or whatever. They won't sell them if they're dangerous or leaking or that kind of thing. I have two blems in my truck, BCI 65's, 1000 CCA, $72 each. Normal price on those was $199 ea. Yeah, the joys of owning a diesel.

texaskubota

Equipment
ZD1211
Feb 28, 2023
Texas
I went ahead and got the Walmart 51r for $150. Cheapest I could find! Good news is it starts right up. Every time.. Oh the joy.

As far as the reason I started this thread...

Well, so normally when you're going to take off....you take park off, then come out of neutral, right? Well, because I was on an incline, and didn't want to roll away, I was leaving park ON and THEN taking it out of neutral. Apparently this will stall it!!! So, you learn something new everyday. I guess it stumped me because I've never needed to do it in that order before

Last edited:

texaskubota

Equipment
ZD1211
Feb 28, 2023
Texas
i asked about this. "why" did they use an oddball battery, to one of the engineers. Of course it required a translator (english language to japanese...) and the response was that the 51R is the correct size, correct cranking amps, correct depth, weight, everything about it "fits" the machine better than, say, a more common 24 series.

Just repeating what they said, for what it's worth.
So I had to check and a 24F that I have is only 12 more pounds, 200 more CCA, and basically HALF the price (at least at Costco). You can *almost* fit a 24 in there.