Z482 powered log splitter

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It turns out the metal I used was cast steel. I didn't bother to check since it used to be a snow plow blade and i figured it had to be hardened steel.
It's not cast, it's called AR 500, (abrasion resistant) and in order to weld it properly you have to preheat it before welding, or your weld will only make a brittle joint.

sean2857

Equipment
Z482 Powered log splitter
Sep 30, 2014
Duryea PA
It's not cast, it's called AR 500, (abrasion resistant) and in order to weld it properly you have to preheat it before welding, or your weld will only make a brittle joint.
Thanks buddy. I looked into it a little bit more and figured out it wasn't cast. We welded a brace to the back side of the splitter and preheated it like you mentioned. So far it's working great. I've been splitting fresh cut cherry logs (approx 20 inches in diameter) like it's nothing.

danicol12

Dec 23, 2014
Marlette, MI
That's good to hear. I just have to wait for my new shut down solenoid and water pump and ill be able to finish it!

View attachment 13022

View attachment 13023

View attachment 13024

View attachment 13025
Sean -

Where did you find a wiring diagram for your motor? I have a Z482 as well that I'm also using for a log splitter, but it came from a refer truck and it's got it's own wiring harness and ECM with it. It would be cool to integrate the wiring into the original wiring harness, but I can't seem to figure out what wires are used for what. Do you have any suggestions? How did you figure your wiring out? Thanks for the help!