Z482 engine in what machine?

Bugs 01

Equipment
Z482
Jun 23, 2021
Tn
I am wondering if anyone knows in what machines was the Z482 placed?

Currently have an Onan gen with a Z482-ES06 engine. I found this identification on a peel off sticker. I don’t know what number if any is stamped into the engine as it is completely enclosed. Also, don’t know what the ES06 signifies and contact with Kubota failed to answer the question. In fact, Kubota is almost unable to provide any information on the engine to include filters, parts or any important information. They allege the reason they are barred from this information is that the engine is protected which means only Onan can provide any info, parts or anything.

Recently, the thermostat needed to be replaced and I took a chance and went to my local Kubota dealer presuming a thermostat for a Z482 might fit or at least we could compare parts. This dealer sells a bunch of lawn tractors and mowers which might have a Z482. Apparently, the parts guy was either inept or uninformed. When I asked about a thermostat for the 2 cylinder Z482, he told me Kubota didn’t make a 2 cylinder diesel engine. Seems like a friend had a Kubota 2 cylinder lawn tractor some years ago and I told him so. He said the only way he can find any part is with the mower model and if you don’t have a model, he couldn’t find anything not even a bolt and nut.

I can understand there are certain parts what probably are only available thru Onan but surely filters and some engine parts can be obtained from any Kubota dealer but only if one has a Kubota model mower to provide them the model.

Any thoughts on this issue or any place to identify machines with a Z482 engine?

Thanks

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
It may be helpful to know that Kubota engine models are based upon German Numeral-Terminology:
(Japan and Germany have historical and engineering-background connections):

Attachments

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Yes t1600 for sure.
Maybe BX1500 but I don't remember.

Keep in mind mower and tractor specific Z482's will have a 3600 RPM governor.

when you go to a tractor or mower dealer, they don't generally have information for specific engines, only engines that came on a specific tractor or mower. So if you need a thermostat for a Z482 engine, you go to a tractor dealer and they'll look at you with a weird look because Kubota Tractor Corp doesn't even publish specific engine parts breakdowns, only parts that fit tractor engines and lawn mower engines. For engine specific stuff you need to find a Kubota engine dealer of which I don't know how to find them. Try a Cummins dealer since Cummins owns Onan.

I got a few mad customers over the years because of this kind of issue and there was nothing I could do about it. Similarly Yamaha, and Yamaha engines. just because the dealer I worked at had a yamaha sign out front and yamaha powersports equipment, and outboard doesn't mean we have engine parts for your KT100S go-kart engine.

Bugs 01

Equipment
Z482
Jun 23, 2021
Tn
I know what you are talking about. I went to my local tractor dealer and they alleged to not even know Kubota made a 2 cylinder diesel.
While I have read the many postings, I have contacted Kubota and Cummins as well and they seem to be unable to prove a definate answer to how hot these little devils operate. Seems like the thermostat is maybe 180-190 so the coolant would be somewhat less, I presume. The oil capacity is 2 quarts with filter change but no one know what temp the oil actually reaches. The suggestion regarding a cooler with a fan is something to consider. It seems by adding a remote oil filter and cooler with associated plumbing would increase the volume to maybe 4 quarts. It seems that would cool down the oil but can one cool it oil too much? This little engine is not like those in the tractors but is encased in a metal box by Onan and the only air flow is what is pulled in by the fan on the generator then blown thru the radiator. When used, it may run 16-20 hours continually. Thanks for your input.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I have to back up a little, also add some stuff.

On a lot of gensets, the engine RPM is 1/2 of tractor rpm (1800). If the gen set you have is designed to run 1800 rpm, yes it will do that all day long, well indefinitely really--at least until the fuel runs out or the air supply is cut off. Or mechanical failure of some sort. With it only running 1800 rpm, it will not need a lot of oil capacity. Engine RPM heats oil, among other things but RPM is a surefire way to heat engine oil. Also, the cooling system can be smaller as well, although most gensets even at 1800 engine rpm will still have a normal sized cooling system, and become dependent on the thermostat to regulate engine temp. Some had electric fans, of even hydraulic fans on some bigger stationary gens, those in conjunction with the thermostat will regulate engine temp pretty well.

Yes you can easily overcool engine oil. Optimum oil temp is dependent on the engine's design, but typically 200-250 degrees. And then the coolant, should ideally be held somewhere between 180 and 200 degrees F. Cold oil doesn't flow very well. Cold engines wear quicker and they don't produce the power they're designed to, and exhaust gas emissions are high. As the engine heats up, the clearances inside tighten up, engine is much more efficient, the oil temp rises and flows a lot easier, which helps cool, lubricate, clean engine parts more efficiently. Overheated oil is easy to spot. Smell it. It will smell burnt. Can't go by the color on diesel engines since diesels tend to black the oil fairly quickly.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Combustion by-products include water vapor which gets into the oil via crankcase gases and if the oil doesn’t get up to desired temperature the water will not boil-out of the oil… and forms acid and causes rust. It’s one reason it’s not a good idea to “occasionally” start/run an unused engine for short periods…. all that does is add more water to the oil…then the stored vehicle engine which the owner thought he was helping by running it 20 minutes every month or so…. is trash.

Bugs 01

Equipment
Z482
Jun 23, 2021
Tn
I don't remember where or how I learned but I seem to remember that this gen 5,500 quiet diesel, must turn at 3,600 to produce current and is turned by a serpentine belt with the engine running 2,400. I believe it is also computer controlled to increase rpm as the load increases. Thanks

Bugs 01

Equipment
Z482
Jun 23, 2021
Tn
Over the last several days or weeks, I have been soliciting info on a couple of Kubota engines, EA-300 and Z482. The EA300 was provided by Kubota where it was modified to power a generator to include remote water pump, remote fuel filter and remote oil filter. The Z482 was provided by Kubota where Onan modified it to power a generator as well. It did not have a remote oil filter but made the existing filter a nightmare to change. Both engines run rather hot and I wondered if they could be set up similar. Kubota of course either could not or would not provide any assistance.
It seems the oil filter on the EA300 is a full flow with not valve while the Z482 has the valve. It now seems the reason for no valve on the EA300 is because the filter is remote and not attached to the engine while the Z482 is attached to the engine. I was told a valve in this filter would slow down the returning oil and could cause engine issues. It therefore appears, any remote filer attached the Z482 should be a full flow with no valve. I was advised to increase the size of the oil filter and run full flow filters on each engine. I guess in thinking about it, increasing the oil capacity is a good idea and keeping the oil flowing back to the engine is a good idea as well. The remote kit for the Z482 came with 1/2 ' fittings so maybe use 1/2" on the Z482 and maybe 3/8 line on the EA300. Seems like the larger capacity would allow the oil to be cooler and maybe the idea of installing a small cooler might help as well as both of these little engines seem to run rather hot. Any thoughts? Thanks