Z421 zero turn mulching kit

ichversuchte

Mar 31, 2017
Enola, PA USA
Hello,

Bought a z421 last year and it is a great mower. I have wrestling with the idea to buy a mulching kit and have read mixed reviews online.

The main reason for the kit is due to how far this mower shoots the clippings. I have to do two passes away for flower beds just so my third pass doesn’t shoot clippings in the mulch and even sometimes that doesn’t help.

Does the mulching kits work well? Is the mower powerful enough?

Thank you,
B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin1

Equipment
Husqvarna MZT 52, BX2380,FEL, Box blade, Landscape Rake
Dec 15, 2017
New Bern, N.C.
I run the Gator G5 blades on my Husqvarna MZT-52 and love them. I run them for the season and just replace with new ones every spring. I also leave the chute up so it chops and disperses better.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I know the post is over a year old but I'm going with it anyway.

If you're considering a mulching kit, consider that you won't be able to cut more than about 1/3 the total length of the grass at one cutting. So if the grass is 6" tall, you can't cut more than 2" off of it. If you try, it'll plug the baffles and will ball up. You can't mulch wet (or damp) grass either, does the same thing, has a tendency to ball up and leave big clumps behind you as you travel forward. Thirdly, you will probably have to slow down your mowing speed a little. No big deal, the less you are cutting off the tops of the grass the faster you can go but IME, nobody wants to cut twice a week and a lot of folks fertilize and then find themselves having to cut 5"+ off the top once every two weeks. That ain't happening with a mulching kit unless you are traveling 0.2 mph. You gotta to run full throttle to get the blade tip speed up. Do NOT idle or run anything less than maximum RPM. Blades MUST be kept sharp. Once the tips round off on the ends, replace them. The cutting width gets shorter; also gets shorter the more you sharpen them. Mulching puts more load on the engine, so you're probably going to use a little more fuel as well.

On kubota's mulching baffles, most of the time gator blades won't fit without hitting the baffles. Not all of them and I don't remember which ones but for the most part they are made specifically for Kubota's blades.

But they work and work pretty good!

Worth mentioning. The biggest things I see are dull blades and decks that are NOT level (whether it be from riding around on flat tires or whatever). Level, and sharp blades, they mulch pretty good.