Yes, I am a complete newbie and I don't know how to fix a flat industrial tire on the rear of a L3400. Help??

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Tire shop. If loaded, find one that deals with loaded tires

Reactions: 1 user

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Well, you have a couple of options, but it is dependent on what caused the flat.

First, do you know what caused the flat?

If it is a screw or thorn, you can self patch, but if you don't know how, it can be a little challenging.
If the tires aren't loaded, you could use a product like TireJect AmazonSmile: TireJect Tire Sealant Kit - Fix and Prevent Flat Tires (40oz): Automotive
If the tire is off the bead, you best bet is to take it to a tire shop.

If your skills/experience with tires are limited, the easiest and safest way to do it is as BAP pointed out to take off the tire and have the local tire shop fix it.

RichieRich918

Feb 11, 2020
Kellyville Oklahoma
Well, you have a couple of options, but it is dependent on what caused the flat.

First, do you know what caused the flat?

If it is a screw or thorn, you can self patch, but if you don't know how, it can be a little challenging.
If the tires aren't loaded, you could use a product like TireJect AmazonSmile: TireJect Tire Sealant Kit - Fix and Prevent Flat Tires (40oz): Automotive
If the tire is off the bead, you best bet is to take it to a tire shop.

If your skills/experience with tires are limited, the easiest and safest way to do it is as BAP pointed out to take off the tire and have the local tire shop fix it.
Thank you for your reply sir. To your points, I took a good visual all the way around and saw nothing at all as a possible cause. I was using the tractor to pull a vehicle out of the way. Got'er dun and no problems at all. Disembarked and it looked funny then realized that the tire was completely off the bead. So, like you said, I should just take to a shop.

RichieRich918

Feb 11, 2020
Kellyville Oklahoma
Thank you for your reply sir. To your points, I took a good visual all the way around and saw nothing at all as a possible cause. I was using the tractor to pull a vehicle out of the way. Got'er dun and no problems at all. Disembarked and it looked funny then realized that the tire was completely off the bead. So, like you said, I should just take to a shop.
Excuse me Bmyers, a question. The product you suggested, I see that it is a sealant but don't I need that trick where they make the small explosion while simultaneously putting air in? Or something like that.

Ikc1990

Equipment
Kubota m125x, m9000, b2710, and other equiptment
Dec 2, 2020
Vermont
I have used heavy duty ratchet straps before run around center of tire to put pressure on side wall and filled with air. Worked on car, truck, 4 wheelers tractor tires etc. But if already off. Bead worth taking a look inside visual for cracks holes etc. Or you can put a tube in it. Personally I dont take much to a repair shop unless I can figure it out or am swamped and need asap. But it's your wallet not mine.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Do you have a large air compressor? If you do you may be able to jack up the tire to see if the tire will flex back into shape. If it does you can try to see if it will take air. Make sure everything around the rim is clean. You may be able to place a ratchet strap around the circumference of the tire fasten the 2 ends together and tighten the strap. If this brings the rim and tire together then place a small amount of air in the tire. Release the strap and then fill the tire to the correct pressure. Use a spray bottle with water and a little dish soap in it to spray the tire and find the leak.

Reactions: 1 users

RichieRich918

Feb 11, 2020
Kellyville Oklahoma
I have used heavy duty ratchet straps before run around center of tire to put pressure on side wall and filled with air. Worked on car, truck, 4 wheelers tractor tires etc. But if already off. Bead worth taking a look inside visual for cracks holes etc. Or you can put a tube in it. Personally I dont take much to a repair shop unless I can figure it out or am swamped and need asap. But it's your wallet not mine.
That's cool. I called around and got several ridiculous estimates, $90 and more. Eventually I called the tire shop in town right on main street. They said $30. That's a good price, right?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
remove and take it to a tire shop or local garage, might cost $20 for them to reinflate.
If the tire was a wee bit low on air pressure, the 'tug' of pulling something heavy , could have spun the tire off the rim. It'd be a real good idea to test ALL the tires now for proper air pressure. Air leaks out over time..one of them 'physics laws' we tend to forget......

Ikc1990

Equipment
Kubota m125x, m9000, b2710, and other equiptment
Dec 2, 2020
Vermont
That's cool. I called around and got several ridiculous estimates, $90 and more. Eventually I called the tire shop in town right on main street. They said $30. That's a good price, right?
For 30 bucks that's cheap.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Jump on that $30 before his coffee kicks in!!

For front tires, I rolled my front tire off the bead. Used front end loader to lift it off the ground, wrapped a ratchet strap around the middle of the tire. Compress it real tight. Aired it up, released the strap a little bit, added more air... then totally released the strap.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

RichieRich918

Feb 11, 2020
Kellyville Oklahoma
I think that is a great idea. I can follow all of your instructions as I'm a newbie but not a complete idiot. Lol Since I'll have to jack it up anyway I'll give it a whirl and see what happens. I'll give you a holler and let you know how it turns out if that's ok.

RichieRich918

Feb 11, 2020
Kellyville Oklahoma
Jump on that $30 before his coffee kicks in!!

For front tires, I rolled my front tire off the bead. Used front end loader to lift it off the ground, wrapped a ratchet stray around the middle of the tire. Shintched it up tight. Aired it up, released the strap a little bit, added more air... then totally released the strap.
I'm glad you mentioned how you used the bucket as a jack because I had already had an idea that's the same thing only backwards. I was thinking I would just put the bucket up under something way to heavy and slowly lift the rear end up instead. It doesn't have the fluid in the rear tires as of yet so it's pretty light in the ass. Lol Since my step dad got too old and frail, he recently handed the tractor and the responsibilities down to me. They say give a difficult job to a lazy man and he'll find an easier way. Lol I just don't know if that's actually a good idea or a recipe for disaster! Can I do it that way then use the car jack's for safety purposes?

RichieRich918

Feb 11, 2020
Kellyville Oklahoma
Do you have a large air compressor? If you do you may be able to jack up the tire to see if the tire will flex back into shape. If it does you can try to see if it will take air. Make sure everything around the rim is clean. You may be able to place a ratchet strap around the circumference of the tire fasten the 2 ends together and tighten the strap. If this brings the rim and tire together then place a small amount of air in the tire. Release the strap and then fill the tire to the correct pressure. Use a spray bottle with water and a little dish soap in it to spray the tire and find the leak.
That sounds exactly right and I'll do exactly that but I was kinda looking forward to that explosion thing. Ha!