WTF is this?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Can't post anything, mark forums read, or anything else unless I accept cookies?
cookies.jpg

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Are they chocolate chip cookies? I like chocolate chip cookies.

Reactions: 2 users

awesome

Equipment
B2601, BH70, K54-22-06B
Sep 16, 2018
ottawa
Without cookies, you can't even maintain a logged-in session on a website, so that makes sense from a technical perapective.

And if the site uses the "new" LocalStorage system instead of cookies instead, then that is pretty much the same thing as a cookie (so if you don't like cookies, you won't like local storage either).

There is absolutely no way for a website to maintain your logged-in session and allowing you to post messages without tracking you.

Reactions: 1 user

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I haven't changed anything, and it has been working for years....

awesome

Equipment
B2601, BH70, K54-22-06B
Sep 16, 2018
ottawa
Maybe because they were using cookies without you accepting it. Or because they were using LocalStorage and now they switched to cookies.

I think you should just accept the cookies. Cookies are like giving your personal info to your bank: the bank needs it, otherwise you wont be able to open an account. You have to accept this reality. But they could very well sell your info. So you need to trust them too. But that's a choice you need to make.

All I'm saying is that cookies got a bad rep because people are abusing them. But they still remain a fundamental, very important piece that is required to get websites running well.

Here's a trick: open your browser in incognito node, login, accept cookies and post at will. This way you will know your cookies canct be used to track you for ads and stuff.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Same here.. this all started just recently with a LOT of sites. I don’t trust it.. and I don’t agree to any of them.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
this happens to me infrequently. log out, clear all OTT cookies from your browser, and then log back in. should be good to go.

Reactions: 3 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
this happens to me infrequently. log out, clear all OTT cookies from your browser, and then log back in. should be good to go.
I tried this and it seems to be working, fingers crossed.
Thanks.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I clear my computer of all cookies at least once a week, and I need to log into any site that I am registered on. I also file my business sales taxes, and the state requires cookies for their system. Since I clear cookies on a regular basis, I have to verify my account with a pass code that they send me after I log onto their website, to verify that it is I that is logging on. It is called a 2 step log on. Same for PayPal, and a whole lot of other sites. They are all moving to 2 step verification if the previous cookies have been deleted. When it really gets interesting, is when I use my VPN, and it appears that my computer is in another state or country. Quite a few websites will block you even if you go through the verification procedure. If you are really paranoid about someone tracking you, then use "Brave" for you browser, and Duck Duck Go for your search engine. Personally, I can't be paranoid about computer cookies, when my doctor and my government know more about me than my wife.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Happens on my phone once in a while. I just logged out then logged back in, that seemed to fix my issue with the cookies. Also Costco sells boxes of pre cut frozen cookies that you just toss on a sheet and bake them. They are delicious.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
My problem is.. I don’t know much about these cookies you speak of, except for the good ones. I just know that usually when they want you to agree to something and it’s pages long.. it can’t be all good!

Dvan

Equipment
Kubota L2501- LA525 Loader- RCR1260 Rotary mower- BB1260 Box Blade- RB1672 Blade
Sep 28, 2019
Parker, Colorado
I think there is some kind of new law that requires them to inform you that they are using cookies. (they have always used them) and they give you a chance to accept or decline that process, declining would mean you couldn’t participate on the site.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Th
Thank you fir this info but can someone explain where and how to delete un-eaten cookies??
Ol School! 😏

• Haha

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I think there is some kind of new law that requires them to inform you that they are using cookies. (they have always used them) and they give you a chance to accept or decline that process, declining would mean you couldn’t participate on the site.
Exactly what I was thinking with it maybe a new law or Something! 🥺

Kinda like going to the doctor now days.. if you don’t sign permission to give your info away, no treatment!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
If you visit certain places online and open that site up and it RECOGNIZES you and automatically logs you “in”.... then they have placed a “cookie” in your device to enable your auto-log-in and to recognize which threads you’ve already visited and which are new, etc etc etc...and to enable them to remember your ”preferences”.

If you go to your browser and delete all cookies..... then next time you attempt to log-in.... the website will not recognize you...will not Recall your password or username.... etc etc etc... AND YOU’D BETTER HAVE A GOOD MEMORY or you will not be able to enter your username and password, etc.

If you don’t like unsolicited Ads.... then go online and search for “ADblock” or “Adblocker”..... download it.... agree to the ten pages of disclaimers just like you do when you visit your doctor.... and then you’ll enjoy not having to look at unwanted Ads and can quickly Skip the “Ads” when viewing online videos.

Hope this helps.... Remember, if you don’t want to be recognized “In House” or On-Line.... then don’t visit peoples’ houses or places On Line. It’s really that simple.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Beat me to it. There IS a new amendment to the Privacy Act that requires any site that uses cookies to tell you that they do. But the amendment made no provision for denial of service (nor will it) if you don't accept. Much akin to accepting the Ts & Cs of OTT. Just gotta watch what you do and be selective about where you go, or as another said, use In Private browsing. At least the crap isn't left on your machine to be harvested by others and your email inbox won't fill up overnight. There's nothing to stop any website from collecting and recording any data you give them on their site. NOTHING. If you give the data, you're giving your consent to record it. Once you do, it's theirs to do with as they will. There's no such thing as ethics or integrity on the web anymore. Nothing but greed and profit.

We've come far since Al Gore got us all together on the WWW.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
If you visit certain places online and open that site up and it RECOGNIZES you and automatically logs you “in”.... then they have placed a “cookie” in your device to enable your auto-log-in and to recognize which threads you’ve already visited and which are new, etc etc etc...and to enable them to remember your ”preferences”.

If you go to your browser and delete all cookies..... then next time you attempt to log-in.... the website will not recognize you...will not Recall your password or username.... etc etc etc... AND YOU’D BETTER HAVE A GOOD MEMORY or you will not be able to enter your username and password, etc.

If you don’t like unsolicited Ads.... then go online and search for “ADblock” or “Adblocker”..... download it.... agree to the ten pages of disclaimers just like you do when you visit your doctor.... and then you’ll enjoy not having to look at unwanted Ads and can quickly Skip the “Ads” when viewing online videos.

Hope this helps.... Remember, if you don’t want to be recognized “In House” or On-Line.... then don’t visit peoples’ houses or places On Line. It’s really that simple.
Deleting cookies in Edge does not delete the passwords. You may have to click a few more times to finish the next login, but your password is remembered and associated with the site by Edge. Thus the reason for having an option to clear passwords separate from clearing cookies, and having a completely separate password manager in the browser. IE moved password storage into the registry, but the security risk became very apparent, as well as the added instability of the registry, and passwords were moved back out into a separate secure file when IE was replaced by Edge. Only Windows and Edge have permissions on that file, unless you're using admin privileges and change the rules for the file.

Cookies are used for a huge variety of purposes, such as setting preferences or filters on a specific site, ad permissions, tracking permissions, etc, and are only associated with THAT specific site. Browser based games use cookies to keep scores. It is perfectly legal for a site to now refuse access if you don't allow them to track your use. I have recently come across one that won't permit me access because I'm running an ad blocker. Oh well, guess they don't need my patronage.

Your use data is not considered private information on a public system, but your email address certainly is. Yet, how many places do you register for anything that doesn't want an email address or phone number for secondary verification? They want you to believe that it's for your security, but don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining. It's to get information they don't really need, but can readily sell. Even Social Security now requires secondary verification. The harder we try to make our lives private, the sneakier the people that want that information get.

By agreeing to the tracking and use of cookies, you just okayed the sale of your email address or any other information you gave to that site. Set up a dummy email account to use for that purpose. Register, then completely ignore that in-box. I figure the latest fad in making sites inaccessible without accepting cookies is going to have it's own solution. How long can a site survive when folks quit using it? Just be diligent and clear cookies on a regular basis. The problem with this is that you may take out some you didn't really want to. Some software uses cookies through their websites to maintain registrations and licensing. If you kill a cookie that had your registration number and license number in it, you'll find you're paying for the software again. I avoid software that does this, but it's fast becoming the norm rather than the exception.

Usernames and Passwords are a completely different animal in browsers, but some cookies may actually embed coding to collect this information by spamming and phishing. They're the dangerous ones, but you don't typically know about it until it's too late. The password and user name you use to accept any site isn't what they want. They already have that. You gave it to them. What they want is the e-mail address, phone numbers, physical address, IP address, and other user data that can make them a big profit when they sell it to less honorable buyers, who in turn resell it again, etc, etc. THAT is the problem that needs to be solved. But in a free market system, it's gonna be tough without stepping on some perceived constitutional rights.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I appreciate the factual description of his participation.
https://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/did-al-gore-invent-the-internet-1447761524
I knew of the legislation, but to hear the published media comments 'back in the day' you'd think he was the sole creator of it. Obviously, some of his comments and accomplishments were twisted, which is the way of the press for a long time now, but there's no question that Al was something of an egotist. From a technical standpoint, he really did nothing to create the WWW, but he certainly made it easier for engineers and coders to do so and get specifications escalated and standards published. He certainly introduced legislation that made it more open to competition. It's just a popular joke and referring more to the era than the man. We were all more naïve and trusting then.

I too appreciate real facts that aren't sensationalized by media hype and drama. What we called news when 3 channels on TV was a luxury, and I had to go outside and turn the antenna so we could get one of the 3. There were actually 5, but two were just other channels from one the three major networks, ABC, CBS, and NBC. You know, when ads were shown in 4 minute spots BETWEEN movies and shows?