Wrong hydraulic fluid used in hydraulic/transmission reservoir

bjfull

Equipment
2012 L3800- HST
Oct 11, 2020
Michigan
I had to replace a hydraulic line on my loader attached to my L3800. After doing so, I mistakenly added about 1 gallon of regular hydraulic fluid/oil (off brand) to the main fluid reservoir.

Should I drain the system and put in new Kubota UDT fluid to ensure no damage? Or will the one gallon of regular fluid mix in ok with the other 6 gallons of Kubota UDT fluid last changed in 2017

The tractor only has about 300 hrs on it

New Member...and thanks in advance for advice.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
{I should have look into sooner...}.. what brand was the "regular" hydraulic fluid (what specs does it meet?)

From their website: "... This product is not recommended for transmission, differentials, wet brakes or final drive gears..."

Big fat NO!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

bjfull

Equipment
2012 L3800- HST
Oct 11, 2020
Michigan
thanks for the quick response it was tractor supply's Traveller ISO 46 hydraulic oil (SAE 20 equivalent)

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
How long do you plan on keeping the tractor? You’re probably going to change out the hydraulic fluid at 400 hours anyway.

I assume it’s a hydrostatic transmission? If so, I would replace the fluid as soon as possible rather than risk something bad happening at some point down the line.

Gear tractor? I would probably not worry too much about it… Your tractor, your call.

As pointed out above you probably will be OK as it is. Myself I would not chance it, but that’s just me…

bjfull

Equipment
2012 L3800- HST
Oct 11, 2020
Michigan
How long do you plan on keeping the tractor? You’re probably going to change out the hydraulic fluid at 400 hours anyway.

I assume it’s a hydrostatic transmission? If so, I would replace the fluid as soon as possible rather than risk something bad happening at some point down the line.

Gear tractor? I would probably not worry too much about it… Your tractor, your call.

As pointed out above you probably will be OK as it is. Myself I would not chance it, but that’s just me…
it is a HST.....I obviously don't want to damage the tractor, so will just spend the bucks to get new Kubota oil and filters..... : (

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
it is a HST.....I obviously don't want to damage the tractor, so will just spend the bucks to get new Kubota oil and filters..... : (
If you replace the fluid now, you should be able to use it for whatever hours are recommended between changes. That makes the decision a bit less painful. Change your filters and check the hydraulic screen and you have a head start on the next recommended service.

You might also want to consider going with SUDT, although it costs a little more than UDT.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Henro is correct and the TSC Traveller stuff is not approved by nor is it rated for an HST transmission. In fact I never buy that stuff. Maybe in a log splitter but not in anything else.

ki4dog

Equipment
L2501, Loader, DH1060, Titan 1205 rotary cutter, Titan pallet forks, TERYX
May 30, 2020
Kingston, TN
Sorry for the stupid question, but did you run it or is it still just in the reservoir? I'm thinking Bobcat type reservoir that is separate from the hydraulics. Personally I'd change it out.

Last edited:

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Let not forget that ANYTIME you change hydraulic-driven implements.... any fluid in the implement is mixed with your hydraulic system.

Most people who rent/borrow implements DO NOT concern themselves with this intermixing of unknown fluid. I have NEVER heard of any adverse effects.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Let not forget that ANYTIME you change hydraulic-driven implements.... any fluid in the implement is mixed with your hydraulic system.

Most people who rent/borrow implements DO NOT concern themselves with this intermixing of unknown fluid. I have NEVER heard of any adverse effects.
Very few implements I know of are hydraulically driven. Maybe a FEL mounted post hole digger or a snow thrower, but that is about it. Lots of implements are hydraulically actuated via hydraulic cylinders and none of those cylinders hold a lot of fluid and whatever fluid is in them mixes with yours but no where near a gallon or even a pint.

So rarely hydraulically driven as in gross fluid exchange but hydraulically actuated as in little fluid exchange. Big difference.

Most people who rent tractors / implements are lucky to put fuel in them and NEVER check fluid levels anyway, not theirs, why should they care....

I think Darren can attest to that.

Why I never loan my equipment out unless I'm the operator, but to say there is a wholesale exchange of fluid when swapping implements is incorrect. there isn't.

I borrow my buddy's Worksaver hydraulic post driver once in a while and he uses HyTrans in his JD so I probably have some HyTrans mixed in with the 15 gallons of oil in my gearcase but not enough to be concerned about. Don't think that little bit will cause my Kubota to turn green.....:p

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Drain and replace all the fluid and filters!

bjfull

Equipment
2012 L3800- HST
Oct 11, 2020
Michigan
Thanks for everyone's replies....changed out the oil and filters this morning....