Working the FEL and the Box Blade

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
Did some heavy work finally on this tractor..

Spreading the gravel was actually pretty easy, with the combination of the FEL and the Box Blade... Although regardless of how good you think you are sooner or later you have to climb down out of that seat and rake in some of the rock LOL Oh my aching back hehehe

We did the entire circular drive which the guys delivering the rock hit every mark near perfect, so I had little to do. the Pole barn, however took some seat time :)

And finally all done

MotoAir

Equipment
BX25D, ZD21
May 13, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Just love seeing these Kubotas getting after the task. For the pole barn did you find you used the FEL or the box blade more to get everything smoothed out nicely? Nice job!!

gssixgun

Equipment
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
Just love seeing these Kubotas getting after the task. For the pole barn did you find you used the FEL or the box blade more to get everything smoothed out nicely? Nice job!!
Overall the FEL did the most work, I probably could have done the whole job with just using that...
The Box Blade did make leveling pretty simple though, I used the FEL to place piles of rock evenly throughout the barn.. After that I dragged the piles out pretty evenly with the BB.. then final smoothing with the FEL dragging the bucket and slight down pressure..
A bit of Shovel and Rake work for near the walls and poles, finished the job.
The only real issue I had was trying to get the entire thing level from front to back. I had to put way more rock in the wheel tracks and to the front of each bay to create a more level surface..
I get another shot at making it even more level, at the end of the Summer.. The very back Boat stall, isn't done yet, we could not get the Dump Truck back to that stall, the ground is still too soft.

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
i let my box blade go to a new owner. i found that i don't need it… i can smooth the gravel better with the fel. i am looking at a different implement for ripping soil and for making planting rows.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Nice job and I really like your shed.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Nice! :D

I've got little barn I need to get the floor graveled in.......add that to my list...

gssixgun

Equipment
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
One quick tip that I am sure most already know, sometime before the gravel arrives there, spray the weeds and grass down with a quality ground killing product...

Gonecountry

Oct 17, 2013
Columbia, SC, USA
Overall the FEL did the most work, I probably could have done the whole job with just using that...
The Box Blade did make leveling pretty simple though, I used the FEL to place piles of rock evenly throughout the barn.. After that I dragged the piles out pretty evenly with the BB.. then final smoothing with the FEL dragging the bucket and slight down pressure..
A bit of Shovel and Rake work for near the walls and poles, finished the job.
The only real issue I had was trying to get the entire thing level from front to back. I had to put way more rock in the wheel tracks and to the front of each bay to create a more level surface..
I get another shot at making it even more level, at the end of the Summer.. The very back Boat stall, isn't done yet, we could not get the Dump Truck back to that stall, the ground is still too soft.
What size gravel did you use? Why didn't you use crush and run?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Looks like he used 57's.

57's works great as a base rock in an area that has little to no rock. Also water drains through it alot better then crush and run.

gssixgun

Equipment
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
Yes the Drive and Barn is done in 1-1/2 washed,. we wanted a clean no mud or dust area by the house,, It was done in 3/4 minus the whole way for the last 11 years and has always been a pain.. This past two years we have switched to 1-1/4 minus on the road, and we just went to the 1-1/2 washed for the driveway... So far the dust and mud problem was cut dramatically, now we have to see how it holds up...