Working on Setting up My Garage....

zbhover

Equipment
B2620, 60" MMM
Jun 14, 2014
Glasford IL
www.zbcreations.com
I just thought I'd share a few pictures of my "new" garage that I'm setting up.

About a year and a half ago we bought a repo'd house and completely gutted it and re-did EVERYTHING. About a month and a half ago we finally moved in and are getting settled in so now I'm working up getting my "new" garage setup.

Its 18' wide and 28' long, and is a poured foundation garage in the hillside with a flat roof. The Ceiling height is a little low at about 7'6" but it could be worse.....

Here is a picture from when we just bought the house, really needed/needs some work:

With it being a poured foundation garage, I figure it would be easy to build a 2nd story and have a wood shop up there and work on the hovercrafts, v8 beetle, and tractors in the "basement" part. Then later we've thought about building a "pole barn" over top of it, and build it over sized so that I'd have a couple stalls at the upper level for parking the tractor and hovercrafts... We'll see what happens....

A couple weeks ago we were pretty much settled in the house so I started moving more of my tools over from my old garage. I started out by acid etching the walls and painting the portion where my workbench would be. The I built the workbench with a spot for my miter saw, etc...

Then over the last couple weeks we've had a couple people real interested in buying the old house so I really had to start moving more stuff out of the old garage and getting stuff organized. I started whittling down my collection of stuff that I've built up in the old garage over the last 8 years.

I was going to build a couple cabinets to go over the work bench, but its obvious that I'll never have time to build them..... So I bought a couple cheap unfinished oak cabinets to go over the left hand side today. I got a 54"x24" laundry wall cabinet and a 36"x15" wall cabinet. I'm also going to build a cabinet/cubby for my jet mini lathe under the laundry cabinet, and put some peg board and nut bolt holders up, etc.... I may need to move the lights 1 joist forward too, they are a bit close to the cabinets. I also got a ceiling fan hung yesterday and the air movement really helps out.

Here's a few pictures from this evening:

I'll keep added pictures as I have more time/money to work on the garage.....

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Very nice;) one thing,, conduit brother lots of out lets a 100 amp service as well if you can swing it,,
and before you know it,,,, you wont be able to turn around in there:eek:,,, just like my 30x40 pole building,,:D,

zbhover

Equipment
B2620, 60" MMM
Jun 14, 2014
Glasford IL
www.zbcreations.com
Right now there is a 50 amp service out there, 100 would be nice, we'll see what happens.

I was planning on putting lots of outlets in, right now there are only 2 on either side wall. I'd also like to hard pipe some air in too so I'm not always dragging around an air hose. I also have a small natural gas furnace I need to put in before winter.

Little by little I'll get there, I'm already doing much better considering there was only 1 bulb out there when I bought it.... LOL

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I really like where the table saw fits!!! Excellent build - did you intend in placing it there or did you luck out on the height?:D

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
On your air. Use "A" type quick disconnects. Most other quick connects, you have to compress the sleeve to plug in the male end and compress the sleeve to disconnect the fitting. The "A" style just pushes in to connect, don't have to compress the sleeve. Once you use them, you'll never go back to the others.

zbhover

Equipment
B2620, 60" MMM
Jun 14, 2014
Glasford IL
www.zbcreations.com
85Hokie:

I built the work bench so the table saw would fit under that spot, I had a similar setup in my last garage also. If the table saw was sitting out somewhere it would quickly turn into just a table :D

ipz2222:
I'm used to using the industrial style air quick connects, I'm maintenance in a foundry and we use the industrial style quick connects with the ball you have to line up in the collar so you can disconnect it. They can be a pain at times, specifically when you can't see where that little ball is.

zbhover

Equipment
B2620, 60" MMM
Jun 14, 2014
Glasford IL
www.zbcreations.com
Another quick update:

I got a spot made for my wood lathe, before I had a dedicated work bench for it, but I don't use the lathe that often so it was a bit of a waste of space. Now with my extra deep miter saw work bench I can push the lathe back out of the way and still have plenty of room to work on other stuff, It also made a great shelf for my sockets.

In my old garage I made a 16' long socket organizer/shelf combo that held sockets on the top, and had a shelf for the little red plastic bins. The bins didn't work out real well there because they always got filled with saw dust. So I took it apart and cut the socket organizer boards down down to 4' and made a two tiered angled socket organizer that fits nicely above the lathe.

I plan on building a cabinet for the bins somewhere else to keep the sawdust out.

Here are a couple pics:

Back when I made the socket organizer I built a simple jig with four 1/4" holes with the spacing I wanted. I then put dowels in the first two holes. This way I could drill my first set of holes, put the jig in those holes, drill the next set, and so on making all the holes evenly spaced.

I also got my dad to help me bring my tool box over so I can start getting that stuff put away again.

Hope everyone had a good weekend

zbhover

Equipment
B2620, 60" MMM
Jun 14, 2014
Glasford IL
www.zbcreations.com
Another quick update:

I built a little rack for my clear plastic organizers, that way I'll have a place for wire nuts, connectors, machine screws, etc without having to dig out or unstack the organizers.

I also built a small cabinet of sorts that holds 32 of the little red storage bins. Menards has them free after rebate quite often so I have of bunch of those suckers laying around. I wanted to having something that I could close up and keep the saw dust out of the bins. I just need to get a couple hinges for it yet. I figured this will work good for holding drywall screws and such. I want to build a larger cabinet like it for nuts and bolts.

Finally I got a small section of peg board put up to hold my wrenches. I just cut down a piece I had in my old garage. So far everything (except the cabinets) was built using left overs from remodeling the house. ;)

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Looking good. Nothing better than a good workspace.
I decided to punch a hoke in my ceiling
To make better use of my lift. From 11' to 13-1/2'. image.jpg
Should have it closed up tomorrow. Lots of work, but worth it to me.

zbhover

Equipment
B2620, 60" MMM
Jun 14, 2014
Glasford IL
www.zbcreations.com
Over the long weekend I finally got some time to do a little more work in the garage....... With all the rain we've been getting lately it seems like I've been spending most of my time mowing grass. I don't mind the time on the kubota, but I could deal without all the trimming, weed eating, etc... :)

Anyways I started on the right side of the garage, building some more cabinets for the little storage bins, and also leaving spaces for some little plastic drawer organizers. I also got some more pegboard put up and got some of the tools I use most often put up on it.

Then today my wife ended up getting sick so our labor day plans went out the window, so what better to do.............. Start organizing bolts, nuts, washers, screws, nails, etc....... I need to get some more of those red plastic bins..... Luckily Menards has them free after rebate again :)

Next I need to get some more cabinets for the upper portion of the right side of the garage.

Hope everyone had a good Labor Day weekend!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
It just keeps getting better and better. I somehow lost my floor over the last few weeks. Time for a fall cleaning. Seein yours makes me want to straighten mine up.

zbhover

Equipment
B2620, 60" MMM
Jun 14, 2014
Glasford IL
www.zbcreations.com
I've been trying to get my new garage all set up and organized to make sure I'd have room for one of my projects

The last few years I've been building a V8 Powered 1969 Convertible beetle ([a href="http://www.v8beetleresource.com"]My V8 Beetle Project[/a]) With remodeling our new house I haven't made any progress for a LONG time. Its on a modified s10 chassis with a 350 chevy up front. I'm also going to widen the beetle to make a bit more room, etc....

Unfortunately with the Kubota B2620 the garage is getting a little cramped with the bug in there.

I'm hopping to build a shed in the spring so I can get the tractor and some other stuff out of the garage.

Hopefully in the next couple months I'll be able to start working on the V8 beetle again here and there.

Here is a picture from a while back, when the doors and rear fenders were on it.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Krips,,, your another one of them guys that never sleeps!:D

zbhover

Equipment
B2620, 60" MMM
Jun 14, 2014
Glasford IL
www.zbcreations.com
Krips,,, your another one of them guys that never sleeps!:D
Yeah sleeping is over rated...... ;)

Actually I'm hypoglycemic and if I sit around and don't do much my blood sugar starts to get all wacky and I feel like crap, so I usually stay pretty busy.

Over the weekend I FINALLY got the rest of my stuff out of the old garage and moved over to the new house, I even gathered up a few people to help load the subaru engine in the truck to get it brought over. Of course that meant I had to do some more organizing and re-arranging to make everything fit. I also had time to get a few more lights put up in the garage. Before too long its going to be to nasty to work in the garage with the door open so I figured I better get those hung up. I need to get my furnace hooked up yet though....

Also now that I have the V8 beetle in there I was looking at it and looking at all the work I'll have to do to get the back half of the car back into shape, and I got to thinking that maybe I should just make it into a V8 Convertible Beetle truck.......

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
Very nice shop. Any sinks or water heater yet? Just a suggestion, if you put in a small water heater, wire it to a switch next to the man door. That way it is not on all the time and when you go out there to work, turn it on and it will be hot when you need it. When you shut off the lights for the night, just turn off the water heater when you leave. Really saves on power!

zbhover

Equipment
B2620, 60" MMM
Jun 14, 2014
Glasford IL
www.zbcreations.com
Very nice shop. Any sinks or water heater yet? Just a suggestion, if you put in a small water heater, wire it to a switch next to the man door. That way it is not on all the time and when you go out there to work, turn it on and it will be hot when you need it. When you shut off the lights for the night, just turn off the water heater when you leave. Really saves on power!

No sink, probably won't happen, I don't have a whole lot of spare room, plus I'd have to drain it all for winter or heat the garage above freezing all the time. Although the garage is probably only 10' from the walk in basement and we do plan to bathroom right there in the basement......