Word Police

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
When a poster continually makes comments that are degrading and negative towards other people, why not suspend them for a time the first offense? Second time just don't let them post.

Eliminating the poster, after fair warning, would be much easier for the moderators then to come in and doctor the words and eliminate post to make it look good.

An example, a new poster joins and post up a picture of a modification. Why does anyone have to criticize the man, especially on his second post? Then someone makes a comment about the comment, which simply let the poster be aware others see the degrading remark. That entire post is deleted, the criticizing comment was doctored, and the poster looks like a fine, straight shooting board member.

Take the keyboard rights away from posters who made derogatory comments about individuals! Clean up the comments by not letting them be posted. Will make moderating easier and less time consuming also.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I agree. Personal or degrading remarks toward a member or a written post should never be allowed.

Kinda along these lines, the "quote" function is badly misused here. If one was in a conversation there would be no need to repeat what he said before you make a response. It's very distracting to wade through the quotes to get to the next reply.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Sometimes by the time I get around to replying or commenting on a post, several more have been posted, so I always try to edit the quote to only the sentence or two that relates to my post. If it's a long post, there's no reason to quote the entire post, just quote only the relevant portion.

Many years ago, someone stated that "Brevity is the key to effective communication."

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Spot on D2Cat!

This is a great site and a wealth of knowledge resides here, it has been hugely beneficial to me.

I've taken many ideas and modified some used as-is for others to build some useful things and increase my knowledge about many others.

Hijacking posts also gets under my skin.

I asked a direct question yesterday in a new post. Along comes a poster which he often does and starts talking about what he uses that has nothing to do with my question.

I can say the mods have eliminated some posters that found it hard to say anything positive and or put down other posters.

One of my favorites is when a poster asks for advice and the response is like last week, it's in the owners manual! Well just maybe they don't have one, are 100 miles from home in a remote location and need help. If I'm at my deer lease and have a problem with my tractor, home and my manual are miles away but someone here no doubt can help.

Overall the mods do a great job IMHO and taking the keyboard away from a couple would be all it would take to polish it up some.