Woods RM59 or Deere 272 Finish Mower?

senecak19

Equipment
Dethatcher, Brush Forks, Land Plane
Jun 20, 2013
Western MA
I'm in the market for a finish mower. Having recently purchased an L3200 and a house, funds are a bit low to buy new. Started looking at used ones and there seems to be a fair amount of them floating around between $400 and $650. Two in particular, a Woods RM59 and a Deere 272 (both side discharge) are selling for $500. Do you guys have a preference of one over the other? The only difference I can tell between the two units is the Woods has the 4 wheels setup. How's parts availability for these units? I'm no lawn nazi, just need to mow a few acres. I'm new to buying one of these which has me on edge about going used. From reading other posts on here, it seems I should inspect spindle play, how quiet the blades turn by hand, have the guy run it if I can. Anything else?

Appreciate any advice.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I would think the four wheels should make it float better and cut more even. The three I've bought all had 4 wheels.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
I own a woods RM 59 and they are a great mower and the front wheel kit makes it even better. Mine only has rear wheels ;-( and if I used it more often i would upgrade to 4 wheels. I would think the deere would have parts avail but I know that woods still supports there products.
59" is sort of small for your tractor, I'm not sure it will stick out past your rear wheels for mowing close along side of "stuff".

Last edited:

senecak19

Equipment
Jun 20, 2013
Western MA
BandaidMD thanks for the input. You bring up a good point. A 6ft might be the way to go. Not sure what the woods model is for a 6' but ill look into it. After doing some more research it seems everyone likes 4 wheels.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
4 wheels is the only way to go on a finish mower. Your tractor can handle a 72" without any trouble and I would really look for a rear discharge if it was me.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
4 wheels is the only way to go on a finish mower. Your tractor can handle a 72" without any trouble and I would really look for a rear discharge if it was me.
That's my setup and it's a perfect match in my opinion. The deck is plenty wide for covering the tractor's width and the L3200 drags it around like it isn't there. With rear discharge mowing direction no longer matters and it allows you to trim with both sides.

senecak19

Equipment
Jun 20, 2013
Western MA
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I'm going back to the drawing board to seek out a 72" mower. From what I'm reading, the rear discharge mowers, don't work the tractor as much as the grass isn't shifted from chamber to chamber. Seems logical.... god knows I don't know :confused: Nearby dealership has a Kubota 72" side discharge for $795. Not bad money, but I'll continue seeking a rear discharge for now.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I'm going back to the drawing board to seek out a 72" mower. From what I'm reading, the rear discharge mowers, don't work the tractor as much as the grass isn't shifted from chamber to chamber. Seems logical.... god knows I don't know :confused: Nearby dealership has a Kubota 72" side discharge for $795. Not bad money, but I'll continue seeking a rear discharge for now.
There is nothing really wrong with a side discharge mower. Especially if you don't let the grass get ahead of you. All my equipment is purchased not by what I really want but by finding a deal. I bought a Land Pride 60" side discharge and have used it for 5 years now. I mow about 10 acres, 4 as a lawn, weekly and the other as a field maybe 2 times a summer. The side discharge works fine. Perhaps a rear discharge would be a little better but when I found this mower for $300.00 I could not resist.
I would ask the dealer if you can bring the side discharge home and try it. It may be fine for what you want.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
With rear discharge you don't have to mow back into your clippings.......only way to go.

60" is optimum for 'uneven' ground.........if you are on flat ground the 72 is fine.

And yes, 4 wheels are a must.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If that mower is in good shape might want to think about it. I would like to have a rear discharge myself but the $3000+ price keeps me using the side discharge and smiling. Like what Kubotasam said if you stay on top of the grass it's not a real problem.