Woods BB72x Rotary Cutter - Strange Top Link Set-up

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
I've had this cutter for a couple of years, and find Woods design of the top link type set up different, and somewhat difficult when connecting and disconnecting mower.

Is it possible to convert this to the older style of "free to float" set-up?
Anyone with this cutter, please share you experience with it.

Attachments

12251hd

Equipment
M6800, L35, RTV
Nov 23, 2018
Woodbridge, VA
I have a BB72 and use a large chain with large (3") links as a top link, which handles the "float" in uneven terrain. I've used this setup with other bush hogs as well. My BB72 did come with a rotating bracket that I don't see on yours that does provide some float with a traditional top link.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I've had this cutter for a couple of years, and find Woods design of the top link type set up different, and somewhat difficult when connecting and disconnecting mower.

Is it possible to convert this to the older style of "free to float" set-up?
Anyone with this cutter, please share you experience with it.
I have Woods BB720X and BB840X cutters, which are heavier duty versions but similar, and use the same mechanism at the top link connection.

The mechanism works well but only if the mower is properly adjusted, the sliding surfaces are lubricated and the bars that attach near the rear of the mower are not overtightened. They must be able to pivot easily on the bolts to avoid binding.

SDT

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Are you using a quick hitch with it? or not?

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
I have Woods BB720X and BB840X cutters, which are heavier duty versions but similar, and use the same mechanism at the top link connection.

The mechanism works well but only if the mower is properly adjusted, the sliding surfaces are lubricated and the bars that attach near the rear of the mower are not overtightened. They must be able to pivot easily on the bolts to avoid binding.

SDT
Excellent recommendations.......I'll lubricate the bars, and check the bolts mentioned as well. Thanks.