Woodland Mills WG 24 stump grinder

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I wonder if you could leave a gear drive tractor in neutral and move it with the loader

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
David, looks great. I'm planning on using the bottom of the shipping crate as you did and make a dolly out of it as well. I keep all of my attachments in doors on dollies. Makes it so much easier to hook up.

Have you needed to re-sharpen the cutting teeth yet? If so, what did you use?

I bought some extra teeth with the unit and was planning on "rotating" them to a different position when the time comes. Like moving the outer most teeth towards the center and visa-versa.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
dirtydeed, I bought the xtra teeth with my purchase also.....just in case. Haven't needed them yet. No rocks in our black top soil but there could be some old forgotten farm iron sunk in the woods here. I've been lucky so far and the teeth are holding up well. Will have to figure out a sharpening procedure when that time comes. I like your plan of rotating the teeth when needed!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I got another 18 stumps ground on Saturday. A couple were quite large ash and oak (24-30"). By far, the maples were the worst to do. Very hard wood. Raked and seeded Sunday.
stump4.JPG
stumps5JPG.JPG

I didn't take a lot of pics, too busy. But, here are a few.

stumps1.JPG
stump2.JPG
stumps3.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
took off friday to finish up the grinding. All in, I whacked a grand total of 78 stumps in approx 20 hours of tractor run time...not too bad. My "lawn" looks like it was carpet bombed. Finished raking and reseeding sat/sun and I'm spent.

All in all, I'd have to give the Woodland Mills WG24 two thumbs up. I damaged the nut on one tooth, and lost another tooth all together. So, with the bulk of the sumps gone, it will now be just a couple of stumps here and there when I take some more trees down.

Here is what the grinder looks like after 78 stumps...and pressure washed. The cart was fabbed from the shipping crate.
IMG_1940.JPG
IMG_1941.JPG

A couple of shots of the carnage as well.

IMG_1935.JPG
IMG_1936.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
almost 80 freaking stumps right out of the box!! that is awesome Dirty. the cart came out great too.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Interesting tidbit I looked up...
Baumalight Ip24 grinder = 350 pounds
Woodland WG24 = 500 pounds
Chewing through a stump, I imagine every extra pound helps.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I recently completed a sawmilling job for a customer that already had a Woodland Mills Shredder, and a Stump Grinder was delivered while I was there.
IMG_8214.JPG

Those are two very good units and Woodland Mills provides terrific Customer Service.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Boy, oh boy, dirtydeed!! Your stump grinder is sure earning its keep quickly. That looks great! I ground a couple of large ash stumps for a neighbor this weekend and some others for myself while clearing another trail through the woods here. No where near 78 though! Will have to check the tooth nuts on my machine to see if any have loosened up. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Nice cart, by the way! And not to mention the beautiful acreage!! Will it be a nine hole or 18 holer when you're done? :unsure:

david

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I wonder if you could leave a gear drive tractor in neutral and move it with the loader
Hi bucktail. I'll take a stab at your question after thinking about it for a few days. Anything is possible with some thought and care put into it. But using the bucket for the forward motion would be far from ideal. If you only had a few stumps to do every once in a while and had thoughts of getting a different tractor with HST in the future then maybe it'd work for you.

I've noticed that the grinder is pretty depth sensitive....especially when taking to big a bite. So if the tractor runs over a bump, lump, or hole and changes the angle or depth of cut....it really affects the grinder, especially if the bite becomes too large for it. Using your bucket to pull the tractor forward could also make the grinder go up and down with each movement and give you problems. You could maybe compensate for it and get by with your skills on the loader controls.

You may need to make an attachment for your bucket edge to give it a nice solid grip so you could be assured of a nice steady pull without any forward lunges of the tractor. It wouldn't be too hard to come up with something like that that would bolt on the leading edge of the bucket..... maybe a row of short spikes to stab into the ground?

So using your loader for the forward motion wouldn't be ideal, but with some thought and improvisation you might make it work for you. For the price of the machine and its convenience, it doesn't take too many stumps to justify having it. Maybe others with the grinder can add some more thoughts on the subject.

regards,
david

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Interesting tidbit I looked up...
Baumalight Ip24 grinder = 350 pounds
Woodland WG24 = 500 pounds
Chewing through a stump, I imagine every extra pound helps.
B737, you're right. This is one area where weight really is your friend! :)

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Bucktail, I was also thinking of your question while I was grinding as well. I'd have to say, "No". I think it would be a very frustrating exercise with a gear driven tractor. It could possibly work if the stumps were on a slope that you could use to your advantage.

Regarding the cutting teeth...I ordered a 6 pack of them with the grinder. I think I may have found another supplier that has them a bit cheaper. Overall, the teeth still look ok but I will likely re-sharpen them over the winter using a silicon carbide (green) wheel.

I torqued all of the teeth when I received the grinder...most were close, but few were slightly low.

I'll have to admit that I think I caused the damage to two teeth (one lost, and the other only had damage to the threads and locking nut). I believe this was caused by me backing up to clean out the grinding pass I just made. Doing so really sped of the process...but, you're not supposed to do that. :sneaky:

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Bucktail, I was also thinking of your question while I was grinding as well. I'd have to say, "No". I think it would be a very frustrating exercise with a gear driven tractor. It could possibly work if the stumps were on a slope that you could use to your advantage.

Regarding the cutting teeth...I ordered a 6 pack of them with the grinder. I think I may have found another supplier that has them a bit cheaper. Overall, the teeth still look ok but I will likely re-sharpen them over the winter using a silicon carbide (green) wheel.

I torqued all of the teeth when I received the grinder...most were close, but few were slightly low.

I'll have to admit that I think I caused the damage to two teeth (one lost, and the other only had damage to the threads and locking nut). I believe this was caused by me backing up to clean out the grinding pass I just made. Doing so really sped of the process...but, you're not supposed to do that. :sneaky:
Tractor Time with Tim has a stump grinder video and he used a power broom like this
to move the chips out of the way. It seamed to work well. FYI

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I have that power broom but from Echo. I think they call it a propaddle. If you have a Echo weed eater (mine is a 3020T), you can buy the power broom, which is technically for their 'implement system power head', and just install it on the end of your weed eater. It takes 5 minutes and two wrenches. I think similar things have been done with Sthil. That power broom removes EVERYTHING from the grass while keeping all of your lawn intact. It is really slick. They are around $300 i think.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I ordered one yesterday.
Awesome. Make sure to get some replacement teeth ...granite state and all..;)

I was sort of thinking about picking up one of their chippers...they look pretty decent and full of useful features. Maybe next year.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
make that two...
you guys are a horrible influence. I was going to rent a grinder next month, I have probably spent $1000 renting that unit in just 2 or 3 years. Enough of that, order placed.

Reactions: 1 user

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Awesome. Make sure to get some replacement teeth ...granite state and all..;)

I was sort of thinking about picking up one of their chippers...they look pretty decent and full of useful features. Maybe next year.
I ordered a full replacement set with the unit. Expensive, but they will get used - lol. I figure I will always have some in rotation being sharpened.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
make that two...
you guys are a horrible influence. I was going to rent a grinder next month, I have probably spent $1000 renting that unit in just 2 or 3 years. Enough of that, order placed.
Nice. What did they give you for a ship date?
I got Oct. 20th.