Woodland Mills WC68 on a BX23s?

ad8mustanggt

Equipment
BX23S
Apr 13, 2023
NJ
I've been searching around for a while and haven't found anyone talking about using a WC68 on a BX series tractor. Woodland Mills told me that it should work fine and to "check out our Facebook page" where I could find people talking about it but I could not find anything.

Is anyone here running a WC68 on their BX? I found one YouTube short of someone running one on their JD 1025r so I have some hope that it'd work but want real-world feedback.

And yes - I'm fully aware I won't be able to chip large branches or logs with it on a BX. We burn anything that big anyway, the bigger size is to 1) be future-proof (we're planning for a larger property and bigger tractor a few years down the road) and 2) make chipping branches with limbs easier.

I was also looking at the WoodMaxx MX-8600 but it's $700 more expensive after shipping.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I have always seen good reviews for the WC68. However, you might want to check out the WoodMaxx 8500G+ (see my review below). The 8500G+ is about $700 cheaper (with shipping on both). It works great, and it is easier to maintain/service.

I am sure you would be happy with and well served by either.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I don’t have experience with the OP exact model or pairing with WC-68. But I do have a WC-68 that I use with my B, sure it’s a few more HP which I think it would be negligible or hard for a user to know difference to BX and that being said the WC does not stress the B, or not that I have noticed…I would say anytime there is any lugging it’s really the infeed is not correct for the density or size of the branch. Basically from the power I would not be so worried. However, for my B, it’s a porky implement to have on the back and maybe worse than the weight is the clearance / departure angle. I would check that before purchase regardless what you decide. The WC lightens the steering on inclines to the point I would not navigate on my property with out the loader being on as front ballast, and the WC drags in a couple places as I have some hill / non flat terrain. On a BX which has less ground clearance (I previously had a BX) that would be something to check / confirm with someone IMO before purchase.

Trev450r

Equipment
B2601, Z231KH, Woodland Mills WC68
Jun 17, 2021
Canada
I run my Woodland Mills WC68 on my B2601, there is a in-feed speed control. If you ran it your bx you'd have to slow it down more, and not run to large of wood though it. Blade sharpness does make a difference in how the chipper preform too. The other thing is the WC68 is over 700lbs too, that might be a problem with the smaller tractor.

ad8mustanggt

Equipment
BX23S
Apr 13, 2023
NJ
Overall I think I'm less concerned about the ability of the BX to power the chipper as I am about the ability of the BX to lift and move the chipper. I don't plan on trekking through the woods with it but I do have some hills and slopes in the yard. If the BX can barely lift it or the ground clearance will be minimal, that's an issue.

I have always seen good reviews for the WC68. However, you might want to check out the WoodMaxx 8500G+ (see my review below). The 8500G+ is about $700 cheaper (with shipping on both). It works great, and it is easier to maintain/service.

I am sure you would be happy with and well served by either.

Thanks for that link - I really want to be comfortable with a self-feed but I've hated every self-feed "consumer" type chipper I've ever used. I know this is a different animal but the PTSD is real...

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Overall I think I'm less concerned about the ability of the BX to power the chipper as I am about the ability of the BX to lift and move the chipper. I don't plan on trekking through the woods with it but I do have some hills and slopes in the yard. If the BX can barely lift it or the ground clearance will be minimal, that's an issue.

Thanks for that link - I really want to be comfortable with a self-feed but I've hated every self-feed "consumer" type chipper I've ever used. I know this is a different animal but the PTSD is real...
I was a tad skeptical about the non-Powered in feed until I used it. I was amazed how it pulled the material in.
Also, if you are concerned about weight, the MX 8500 G+ weighs about 400 lbs. (Several hundred pounds less than the Woodland Mills - it lacks all of the pump, rollers, oil tank and etc. that add weight). Also, it is very compact behind the tractor.

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I really like my WC-68 but I’m running it on a wee bit bigger tractor. If you find someone running one on a BX23-S I definitely agree their input would be ideal. Short of that…

The specs on the BX23S I’m seeing show 3 point capacity is 1213lb at the pins, 680lb 24” back of the pins. The bulk of the weight of the WC68 is in the flywheel, feed mechanism, and fluid tank area which is kind of bunched up a bit back of the pins so your weight limit is probably closer to the 680lb than 1213lb when figuring whether your machine will get it off the ground. Suspect you’d need a loader with a bucket of dirt or some similar weight up front unless you really like brake steering.

The other thing is the height of the lift pins on the WC68 v the height of the lift arms on your tractor at full height. Specifically if your tractor can lift it, how far off the ground can it get it at full lift height?

I’ll visit mine in the morning, measure the floor to pin height, and measure back from the pins to get you at least a swag on the front to rear center of gravity.

But for the explanation about wanting to push the limits on the implement size in anticipation of a larger tractor in the offing, I’d definitely suggest a smaller chipper such as the WC-46 or one of the alternatives suggested by others.

BTW: I share my WC-68 with my brother. He has a JD 1025 but I kind of think there’s a reason he always runs it on his JD 4052.

Last edited:

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Had a brief visit with my WC-68 this morning between feeding the cat and heading to work.

Ground to center of lift pins: 15.5”

Ground to center of PTO input shaft: 22” (Got to thinking you might end up with a short PTO shaft at a steep angle depending on height of the PTO output on your BX.)

Swagged front to back center of gravity: 20” to 24”

Last edited:

ad8mustanggt

Equipment
BX23S
Apr 13, 2023
NJ
Had a brief visit with my WC-68 this morning between feeding the cat and heading to work.

Ground to center of lift pins: 15.5”

Ground to center of PTO input shaft: 22” (Got to thinking you might end up with a short PTO shaft at a steep angle depending on height of the PTO output on your BX.)

Swagged front to back center of gravity: 20” to 24”
Appreciate the measurements, thanks for taking the time! I'll drop the backhoe off the BX this weekend and get the 3 point arms installed so I can see where things would land.