Won't stay in 4wd

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
I've tried using the search but maybe I'm asking the wrong question. Tractor goes in and out of 4wd easily but sometimes it just drops out of 4wd, usually when you need it most. It works but sometimes you have to hold the lever in place. L3450GST

tawood

Equipment
L2501
Apr 18, 2020
Lapeer, MI
Are you sure its in 4wd after moving the lever? Mine is so hard to get in or out of 4wd that sometimes I can't do it: I have to make sure I'm on soft ground (not pavement or hard dirt), make sure tires are straight, rolling, not under power, etc. It would be nice if mine was easier, but not so easy it pops out, of course.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Are you sure its in 4wd after moving the lever? Mine is so hard to get in or out of 4wd that sometimes I can't do it: I have to make sure I'm on soft ground (not pavement or hard dirt), make sure tires are straight, rolling, not under power, etc. It would be nice if mine was easier, but not so easy it pops out, of course.
Definitely in 4wd, front wheels helping and then not.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Check the linkage for wear or bends.
If it doesn't flip all the way over on engagement it can pop back out.

Reactions: 1 user

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Oh well! Turns out something else was going on. 4WD was working perfectly in one field but not at all in the next two. Linkages seem to be OK. Looks like the problem is inside the gearbox the lever goes into with the mid PTO. Do I need to drain the SUDT to open this gearbox? Is it safe to use in your opinion?

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Update: Dropped the propeller shaft and I seem to be missing a few pieces but the good news is that the problem appears to have been the roll pin in the front collar is broken. I've ordered new seals and bearings and hopefully I get it back together Friday. Curious as to what holds the front bearing in place 👍