Wiring Basics: chute rotator

Gdemos

Equipment
BX25D, Cab, BXPanded Plow, B2789 Rr PTO Blower, Brotek Thumb, spacers
Dec 9, 2013
RI
I've come seeking knowledge, pardon my ignorance.
I am attempting to mod my B2789 Rear PTO Snowblower to include a power window motor as a chute rotator. I believe i'll use the socket/sprocket connections as described in posts I've read; i.e. an old socket hammered onto the sprocket of the window motor, then connecting the socket to the traditional manual worm gear mechanism.

I have procured the window motor, it has two wires.
I have procured the rocker switch, it has have poles.

Do I need to wire in a relay? If so, what type? Is a trailer connection an appropriate quick detatch that is weatherproof?
Would someone be able to chat me through a start to finish wiring layout, say from battery to switch to motor...

this is my first attempt at a DIY on a new BX25D with a hard cab and I appreciate the replies with direction. Thanks,
-Greg

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
I'll try to answer the best I can...

The use of relays is always good practice with high current devices, but without knowing what the motor draws, and what the switch is rated for I cant fully answer your question. It does add complication to the whole thing for sure. My "gut" feeling is if you use a decent switch rated for at least 20 amps DC you won't need relay's.

A trailer connector sounds perfect for this application.

Not sure exactly what switch you have, but you will need a DPDT (double pole, double throw) Center OFF switch to be able to reverse the motor easily, here is a drawing:

Attachments

Last edited:

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
I also think Kennyd4110 is correct, but there is another possibility that you should be aware of .....
Some wiper motors use the motor case as a ground. If that is what you have then one lead will run the motor continuously and the other will return it to a "home" position and stop. That type of motor would not work well for what you want to do.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA

The use of relays is always good practice with high current devices, but without knowing what the motor draws, and what the switch is rated for I cant fully answer your question. It does add complication to the whole thing for sure. My "gut" feeling is if you use a decent switch rated for at least 20 amps DC you won't need relay's.

Not sure exactly what switch you have, but you will need a DPDT (double pole, double throw) switch to be able to reverse the motor easily, here is a drawing:
I was looking at the diagram trying to figure out the wireing.
It looks like what is being described in this explanation, you tie the corner posts together?
heres a diagram someone posted on a rv forum for a reversible awning motor.

"Ok, here's how I'd do it. Let's assume that the motor uses two wires and that we reverse polarity to reverse direction.

As you look at the back of the switch, you will see six terminals:

Term 1 Term 2

Term 3 Term 4

Term 5 Term 6

Step 1:
Connect the positive power lead to Term 1 and the negative power lead to Term 2

Step 2:
Connect the wires to the motor to Term 3 and Term 4.

Step 3:
Connect Term 1 to Term 6
Connect Term 2 to Term 5

That is it. Try moving the switch and seeing which way it moves. Label the switch accordingly."

yours shows the hot and ground going to 3&4 is that correct? Not doubting you but power window wireing has always been a head scratcher for me.

Gdemos

Equipment
BX25D, Cab, BXPanded Plow, B2789 Rr PTO Blower, Brotek Thumb, spacers
Dec 9, 2013
RI
that's making sense to me bandaid Doc & Kenny. I'll snap a photo of the switch and motor when I get a chance, run some tests using a spare battery and see what results.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
bandaidmd,
The way you describe wiring the switch it is the exact opposite wiring technique as Kenny, but gives you the exact same result.;)

Mani1147

Equipment
2013 BX2370, belly mower, rear snow blower, rear tiller, front loader
Aug 20, 2013
NB, Canada
Hi Greg, here is what I did on my BX2370, works great. See a few more pics here. As stated above, it is crucial that the case of the motors be isolated from the elec connections.
Cheers
Rob

Attachments

tthorkil

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M9540HDC12 / LX2610HSDC / ZD1011-48 / Bobcat S250
Jan 1, 2011
Bagley, MN, United States
A Double Pole Double Throw(DPDT) is essentially two separate switches ganged together to be operated by the same mechanical actuator. In the drawing S1 and S2 are not electrically connected together.

Attachments

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
I was looking at the diagram trying to figure out the wireing.
It looks like what is being described in this explanation, you tie the corner posts together?
heres a diagram someone posted on a rv forum for a reversible awning motor.

"Ok, here's how I'd do it. Let's assume that the motor uses two wires and that we reverse polarity to reverse direction.

As you look at the back of the switch, you will see six terminals:

Term 1 Term 2

Term 3 Term 4

Term 5 Term 6

Step 1:
Connect the positive power lead to Term 1 and the negative power lead to Term 2

Step 2:
Connect the wires to the motor to Term 3 and Term 4.

Step 3:
Connect Term 1 to Term 6
Connect Term 2 to Term 5

That is it. Try moving the switch and seeing which way it moves. Label the switch accordingly."

yours shows the hot and ground going to 3&4 is that correct? Not doubting you but power window wireing has always been a head scratcher for me.
Bandaid, I mean no disrespect...but all that text you quoted is just confusing things. There is more than one way to skin a cat so to speak, I could post 10 different circuits to do what the OP asked, but the diagram I posted is the simplest. All it's doing is reversing the polarity to the simple DC motor so the direction can be controlled.
While I am sure if I drew out the circuit of the text you quoted it would do the same thing, the drawing I posted above is so simple to follow I don't see the need.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
Bandaid, I mean no disrespect...but all that text you quoted is just confusing things. There is more than one way to skin a cat so to speak, I could post 10 different circuits to do what the OP asked, but the diagram I posted is the simplest. All it's doing is reversing the polarity to the simple DC motor so the direction can be controlled.
While I am sure if I drew out the circuit of the text you quoted it would do the same thing, the drawing I posted above is so simple to follow I don't see the need.
Your drawing actually makes more sense I thought you always supplied the center (neutral position) of a switch with the input power but the wires that run from corner to corner were not that clear. Thanks for the diagram i actually see now how that makes it change.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
just like Kennys drawing but in living color.lol
Learned something new today. thanks
Now the question is what type of motors will run either direction.
Just about any DC motor will run both directions.
Window motors are some of the best to use, the key reason for using a window motor is that they already have the gear reduction built in, gives you power and slow spin.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com

Not sure exactly what switch you have, but you will need a DPDT (double pole, double throw,) Center OFF switch to be able to reverse the motor easily, here is a drawing:
I forgot the add the " Center OFF" part, and just wanted to clarify that point.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Just make sure you put a fuse or inline circuit breaker in you feed line to prevent a melt down if something goes wrong. Cheap insurance.