Winterize L3301

Green Acres

Equipment
L3301 - International Utility 340 Need Parts for it!
Apr 13, 2015
Ozarks
Happy New Year!!

Winter just starting to make it here in the Ozarks, looking for any winterizing tips. I have looked at the old threads here, googled and found some good ones, just looking for some from the experts here.

No barn or cover to store mine, any tips? Fuel additive - what do you use.

Thanks for any insight, Just bought my first one last year and want to make sure I do it right and do not overlook anything.

Alan.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I use diesel 911 for winter for a fuel treatment. As far as winterizing mine, it gets parked next to the garage so I can reach it with a batttery charger if needed or the truck and jumper cables if I'm looking to use it sooner. :rolleyes: Other then that, it gets a handy single use seat cover (trash bag) over the seat :p No block heater installed. I just glow plug it for 30 to 45 seconds, pull the decompression lever and crank it up :D Then let it warm up at around 1500 rpms while I get some hot cocoa and work up the courage to go clean the driveway :D Some folks cover them with a tarp. Or get a cheap portable garage from harbor freight.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
A magnetic oil pan heater is a great help when cold starting. Only needs 30-40 minutes to warm up.
Test your coolant to be certain its good enough for the low temperature in your area.
A small (2amp) trickle charger will keep battery warm and maintain max cranking power.

Green Acres

Equipment
Apr 13, 2015
Ozarks
I use diesel 911 for winter for a fuel treatment. As far as winterizing mine, it gets parked next to the garage so I can reach it with a batttery charger if needed or the truck and jumper cables if I'm looking to use it sooner. :rolleyes: Other then that, it gets a handy single use seat cover (trash bag) over the seat :p No block heater installed. I just glow plug it for 30 to 45 seconds, pull the decompression lever and crank it up :D Then let it warm up at around 1500 rpms while I get some hot cocoa and work up the courage to go clean the driveway :D Some folks cover them with a tarp. Or get a cheap portable garage from harbor freight.
Thanks Daren!

Green Acres

Equipment
Apr 13, 2015
Ozarks
A magnetic oil pan heater is a great help when cold starting. Only needs 30-40 minutes to warm up.
Test your coolant to be certain its good enough for the low temperature in your area.
A small (2amp) trickle charger will keep battery warm and maintain max cranking power.
Thanks Frank, I will check out the oil pan heater. Coolant is -10, that's the way it came from dealer last March. My Jeeps are -20 to -30, wondering if I need to do anything to lower it? Looking for best (Cheap) trickle charger.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Either pull the battery out or put a battery tender on her

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
My first thought is shed or portable car port, sitting in the weather is hard on equipment.

Add conditioner and run it long enough to work it thru the entire fuel system.

Fill tank as full as possible, any air space allows condensation which means water in fuel.

If you don't plan on using it during the winter change the oil so it doesn't sit with all the contaminants eating away at the insides.

Green Acres

Equipment
Apr 13, 2015
Ozarks
My first thought is shed or portable car port, sitting in the weather is hard on equipment.
Bulldog, you are right but My funds are low or i would :)[/QUOTE]

Add conditioner and run it long enough to work it thru the entire fuel system.[/QUOTE said:
What brand do you use?
Fill tank as full as possible said:
If you don't plan on using it during the winter change the oil so it doesn't sit with all the contaminants eating away at the insides.[/QUOTE said:
Just changed!
Thanks for the tips!![/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Conditioner, I use Amsoil or Power Service. Both work fine but about any conditioner is better than nothing.

I certainly understand money being tight, I need another shed to store hay in but it's much easier to spend money than make it. In the long run a shed will pay for itself but it's expensive to build anything now days.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
If you aren't going to be using it for a long time, I would disengage the clutch using the lock pin. This is talked about in the Operator's Manual on page 89 under Storage.

My old Ford 2000 was over at a friend's farm and wasn't used for a couple of month and the clutch plate rusted to the flywheel. Had to split the tractor to fix it.

It's nice that Kubota put the pin there to keep the clutch disengaged.

Green Acres

Equipment
Apr 13, 2015
Ozarks
If you aren't going to be using it for a long time, I would disengage the clutch using the lock pin. This is talked about in the Operator's Manual on page 89 under Storage.

My old Ford 2000 was over at a friend's farm and wasn't used for a couple of month and the clutch plate rusted to the flywheel. Had to split the tractor to fix it.

It's nice that Kubota put the pin there to keep the clutch disengaged.
Thanks MD! I did not realize they would do that so quick.