Winter intake pipe

asgard

Equipment
B2301, 60 inch deck, 51inch blower
Oct 22, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Well, following on from the posted issue of black smoke due to the air filter being blocked with snow I thought I would have a look at a mod.

I have not altered or damaged any of the existing items and will reinstall the standard intake come grass cutting season.

As the problem stemmed from light blown snow entering the intake at the front and causing the blockage. So I though that an intake close to the exhaust and pointed slightly back might be a simple fix.

I used a standard 1.5 inch 90 plumbing bend with a male/ female end, I used a Dremel with a sanding drum to increase the inside diameter to fit snugly over the air cleaner spigot, added a short section of 2 inch thin walled tube , cut a slight angle to allow for clearance to the exhaust, it is about 1.25 inches from the exhaust and covered the end with aluminium tape to add a small level or heat protection.

I cannot forsee any issue with heat and as the air temp is generally cold when in use. There should be no issue with combustion intake temp.

some images. Oh, cost $1.49 slightly less than a Kubota part I am sure.

Attachments

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Paint it orange and mail it to my house! :D

That looks great, I thought about putting a 90 and having it point down the engine bay, but I like yours better.

I was concerned about pulling in excessive heat from the engine, but since kubota recommended removing the intake pipe altogether on the 3350 in the winter, this is going to work well.

Thanks for taking the time to post. :)

fendley

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SVL65-2
Dec 31, 2016
St Marys, GA, USA
You may find your top end slightly limited. When extending an intake on a normally aspirated engine, you usually have to increase the intake diameter 5-7% to account for the flow losses.

I have no idea how these snorkel kits work for 4x4s and ATVs since it looks like they would be overly restrictive. All I can figure is that you don't rev the engine very high when you are going through water, but you would think you would notice the performance loss at other times.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
You may find your top end slightly limited. When extending an intake on a normally aspirated engine, you usually have to increase the intake diameter 5-7% to account for the flow losses.
I never heard of increasing the intake diameter, but it makes sense. In this case we are shortening the length of the intake pipe, not extending. Does that mean that air intake just got better?

fendley

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SVL65-2
Dec 31, 2016
St Marys, GA, USA
Not necessarily. If there was a carburetor inline, the intake path having some length of pipe in the intake results in a smoother flow to the venturi, allowing the carb to work better. With fuel injection this is not a factor as long as the intake is not restrictive.

asgard

Equipment
Oct 22, 2016
Ontario, Canada
When I considered the route and position I also looked at the intake opening which in the case of the B series is flattened out from the 1.5-inch pipe.

I used the same ID bend which is about the same radius as the Kubota but took the intake tube as the OD of the bend which upped the size to 2 inches. I appreciate there is a reduction at the transition but nowhere on the run is the diameter less than stock.

Length wise, I am not concerned.

asgard

Equipment
Oct 22, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Well, we had another ice event last night so it was out with the ice ripper and the full intake cover set up and new pipe.

Tractor ran without issue, and the temp for the first time since I got this machine lifted off C.

I ran it for about 30 minutes and called it a success.

I have no idea how I would have turned 3/4 of an inch of ice into anything other than a skating pond without the ripper, it did a great jub.