Winch

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Anyone who has mounted a winch on the front of their tractor?
I've been tossing around the idea and I've seen one in the Harbor Freight ads recently with a wireless remote. For my B tractor the 2500# capacity would be adequate. Any thoughts?:confused:

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Thanks for the link.....for one of the most annoying video's I have ever seen.

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
Funny. I didn't watch or listen to it, but just skipped around and chose it because it showed him handling the winch so the size could be judged.

Bruce

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
You want a winch that has at least double the capacity of the weight of the machine, that it will be mounted on.

Huskerfan

Equipment
Kubota B2650 HSTC, Grasshopper 725Dt
May 24, 2016
Iowa
Last year, I mounted the HF 5000# BL winch to a bracket from HF that plugs into a 2" receiver on Titan's pallet fork bucket. That way the winch /bracket can be also plugged into any other 2 in receiver. I would not go less than 5000# and do get the wireless remote.

Last edited:

asgard

Equipment
B2301, 60 inch deck, 51inch blower
Oct 22, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I have that winch from HF, I have just rewound it with synthetic line.

I have made a tow receiver for the front of my B series, that takes a receiver unit I made for the winch to mount to, which also allows it to be located on the rear with my receiver extender.

Yesterday I finished a small crane to mount on the drawbar at the 3 point, which uses the same winch. I managed without issue to lift my 60-inch mower deck.

I do not intend to use it for pulling out my tractor but for smaller stuff, pulling the odd cut log out of the woods.

It is not great, seems to bind up, hence the change from wire to synthetic line. But is is good enough for the money. I got mine on special, $49.

I posted some pictures before. I don't spend a lot of time on these items, and only use metal I can get at the local recycling yard.

Happy to post again if you cannot find them.

rt014

Equipment
L4701, Farmi 501, EA Wicked Grapple
Jan 6, 2017
Schroon Lake, NY
I have a Warn 10000 lb winch (not wireless) mounted to the front of my L4701 (custom weld job by dealer). I use it for a backup as I already have a Farmi 501 winch that runs off the PTO for logging. It has already come in handy when I had to have the Farmi serviced.

MikeyA

Equipment
2016 B2650 FEL and 60"mmm,1998 B2400 MMM FEL(sold!) BB 4ft BRUSH HOG
Mar 6, 2010
West Central Illinois
Don't forget to check amp draw at rated pull. I know the majority of the smaller tractors only have a dynamo with about 14 amps of output. My only experience with winches was on a truck with a Warn M12000. I had a 105a alternator and a battery with over 1000cca. The winch was rated at 435 amp draw at full load, but during a longer pull (it had 125' of cable), it would draw battery down and actually stall the alternator. My point is, if you plan on using the winch for more than a brief moment, you need to make sure the rest of your electrical is up to the draw.

asgard

Equipment
B2301, 60 inch deck, 51inch blower
Oct 22, 2016
Ontario, Canada
You are correct on the draw.

When I use my small HF 2500lb winch I feed it from a 500 amp battery pack, the one you use to jump your car. It saves any cable runs and is remote from the tractor electrics.

Also quick to disconnect the power if things go off the rails.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
A winch that small is a disappointment at best. I put 3500 lb superwinches on rear of snowmobiles at old job. The conservation officers loved them. The smaller ones draw a lot of power when you stall them. 3500 is enough to lift a sled straight up if necessary. And it did. Well,it pulled a non winch sled out of a creek with steep sides that the ice dropped and sled couldnt climb out of and was too heavy to lift out by hand. They were happy that day.
If you use common sense and dont run down battery a 4500 lb winch would do very well.

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
I have a Viper Elite 5000lb wide spool mounted in between the brush guard of my L3800. Its a tight fit between winch and the hood opening and the hawse fair lead and the loader support. Also added tow hooks for the ability to use snatch blocks as the wide spool version has 65' of rope.

Huskerfan

Equipment
Kubota B2650 HSTC, Grasshopper 725Dt
May 24, 2016
Iowa
I have that winch from HF, I have just rewound it with synthetic line.

I have made a tow receiver for the front of my B series, that takes a receiver unit I made for the winch to mount to, which also allows it to be located on the rear with my receiver extender.

Yesterday I finished a small crane to mount on the drawbar at the 3 point, which uses the same winch. I managed without issue to lift my 60-inch mower deck.

I do not intend to use it for pulling out my tractor but for smaller stuff, pulling the odd cut log out of the woods.

It is not great, seems to bind up, hence the change from wire to synthetic line. But is is good enough for the money. I got mine on special, $49.

I posted some pictures before. I don't spend a lot of time on these items, and only use metal I can get at the local recycling yard.

Happy to post again if you cannot find them.
Asgard, where did you get the synthetic line? How long? Test strength of line?

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I bought a Warn 4700 Utility winch. I got that one because it works with the Warn Wireless remote (supposed 90' range). I have the winch mounted on a 2" receiver plate and put a mount on the front of my BX. I also bought a bunch of Andersen connectors, installing one on the front of the BX and one at the bumper of my PU.
I have run the winch for extended periods (enough to get the motor hot enough to burn my hand) and not had a battery issue.

Attachments

fishinroc25

Equipment
Kubota BX1830 w/loader, custom front plow, 3-pt trailer hitch, Carry All
Apr 20, 2017
Rochester, NY
Hi. Not sure how old this thread is, but I'm in the process of adding a small winch to the front of my BX. Has anyone mounted theirs to the front brackets without using a hitch plate (receiver)? I really want to just hard mount it. Thanks!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I bought a 2,000# superwinch for my ATV.

The one on it from a previous owner seemed weak.

I mounted a new marine battery on the front rack and used this style of quick connect to connect the winch to the battery or, the battery to the ATV.

Sorry I should have cropped the picture.

Once I got the new winch and started to install it, I realized that the spec's were misleading. It came with a circuit breaker. I don't recall the exact value of the breaker but it was 50 amps lower than the current the winch had to draw to pull 2,000# on the first wrap of the cable on the drum.

I had intended to use the winch to pull heavy items in awkward places but actually it is so useless, it acts like a storage drum for the cable and I pull with the ATV rather than the winch.

The lesson I learned is not to trust the advertised spec's. Further a real PTO driven winch like large tow trucks and military trucks use is a far superior product than the electric ones.

Regarding the use of Dynema lines instead of cable, I emailed Superwinch and asked if I could replace the cable with the synthetic line. Their answer was NO with the only comment that the drum would damage the synthetic.

Dave M7040