Willow propagation?

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
I cut 2 branches off a japanese willow and stuffed them in water bottles....

Not sure if thats how you do it...

But it seems to have started roots...

So heres the question:

How long do you wait until you plant it in soil?

wait until it's a good established root ball or put it in soil now?

I'd like to do more of these. I have a Hybrid willow I'd like use also.

anyone with experience in this... ?

tips appreciated.

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If you just cut them and stick them inthe ground 99% of the time willows of all types will root. Enjoy them in the house or onthe porch untill you feel comfortable with planting, just make sure you keep them well watered after you do

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
What Skeets said. If you put them outside in a bucket of water waiting for the roots to develop be sure to use some string or such to tie the stem to the bucket handle so the wind doesn't blow it out of the water.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Don't plant (or let volunteer trees grow) trees on your pond dam. When they die the decayed root system will cause leaks!

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
I have some hybrids as well. Last 2 years I got aphids on them and had to spray with insecticide soap. They do grow pretty quick.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Keep willows far away from your septic and well
I hadn't thought about that... good to know.

They are a good distance from the last leg of the leech field... I think I should be ok.

Ima (try) to keep the bush willow trimmed back.
Hybrids can grow as high as they want.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
I have some hybrids as well. Last 2 years I got aphids on them and had to spray with insecticide soap. They do grow pretty quick.
Where did you buy them?
I don't see them locally ever... in New England.

I ordered some starters from Burgess seed Co. and they send them in the dead of summer... dry as a bone... I called them (which is near impossible to get an answer) and they eventually sent more in late fall..... I was hesitant to plant them but they said just throw them in the ground the will survive.

well.. this spring they are dead sticks... LOL ! same thing with a bunch of Giant thuja arborvitae
half of them died.
never again.

From now on I'll just start my own. takes longer... But I got nothing but time.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Most trees you expect me roots to extend to at least the width of the canopy.

Willows of manyspecies extendwell beyond that. Notorious for getting into sewage systems.

L35

Equipment
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Where did you buy them?
I don't see them locally ever... in New England.

I ordered some starters from Burgess seed Co. and they send them in the dead of summer... dry as a bone... I called them (which is near impossible to get an answer) and they eventually sent more in late fall..... I was hesitant to plant them but they said just throw them in the ground the will survive.

well.. this spring they are dead sticks... LOL ! same thing with a bunch of Giant thuja arborvitae
half of them died.
never again.

From now on I'll just start my own. takes longer... But I got nothing but time.
Fast growing trees dot. Com, online. I bought 6 of the 3’ option with a root ball. Dam expensive for what they are when they show up (basically a stick the diameter of your pinky with a couple offshoots coming off of them) but I needed a fast growing tree for screening reasons. I planted them in the spring of 2019 and now 3 are about 20’ tall and bushy, the other 2 have been slower growing probably 15’ and one that got ate by a deer early on in life is about 10’. 10-10-10 fertilizer is great for them. Walmart has a 20lb bag for about 15 bucks. Feed 3x a year.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Most trees you expect me roots to extend to at least the width of the canopy.

Willows of manyspecies extendwell beyond that. Notorious for getting into sewage systems.
y'all are right..... and I screwed up.
I should have never planted them there....

so last weekend I dug up the dappled willow and put it on the other side of the driveway where there is a wetland area down yonder.... they can reach out that way and have plenty of water.

transplant went well, no signs of wilting.

also moved the Hybrid willows further up on that side also.
they can reach out to the same wet area.

thanks for the info.

live & learn.. 🥴

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
y'all are right..... and I screwed up.
I should have never planted them there....

so last weekend I dug up the dappled willow and put it on the other side of the driveway where there is a wetland area down yonder.... they can reach out that way and have plenty of water.

transplant went well, no signs of wilting.

also moved the Hybrid willows further up on that side also.
they can reach out to the same wet area.

thanks for the info.

live & learn.. 🥴
John T - the trees may help dry that area up as they grow. It’s amazing how much water a tree will pull from the ground, that ultimately is evaporated through the leaves.

Never dealt with any personally, but when I was in Forestry College we studied south eastern US short rotation pine plantations. When a plantation was clear cut, the place was under water. After replanting, it was dry again after just a couple years.

L35

Equipment
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Thats interesting.... I thought Hybrids were deer resistant.
They say the dappled willow is.
Now that I think back I believe the deer “rubbed” it to a stump with his antlers. Others as well but the current shortest didn’t fair as well.