Will not come out of 4 wheel drive

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Spade,
I'm not sure what type of lever you have to put the tractor in four wheel drive, but on the L3901DT you pull a lever up to put it in four wheel drive and push it down to take it out. I was having problems getting mine out of four wheel drive and emailed the dealer I bought my tractor from and he suggested that while pushing down on the lever let the clutch out and turn the steering wheel a little at the same time. Since he told me that I haven't had any problems getting it out of four wheel drive.

Eray

Equipment
L2501 HST
Feb 24, 2015
Lenoir City, Tennessee
My L2501 is the same way. Easy to put in 4 wheel drive. Hard to take out. I have found that pushing down on it while rocking the HST pedal back and forth a little bit lets it disengage. I always use the clutch when engaging the 4 wheel drive but it disengages better without using the clutch.

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland
I use the FEL and raise the front just off the ground to relieve pressure on steering axle.

Ron

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
You might also try putting it into reverse, while pulling up on the lever, and just nudging it backwards a little...:D

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Old school trick with 4x4 Jeeps, Yota's, Unimogs, Dodge's etc. was to drive backward in reverse in 4x4 for a couple feet to unload things first. Then try to unlock 4wd.

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
This a symptom of improper tire/wheel sizing. Without the proper amount of overrun you transmission will bind and can be destroyed if not addressed. Not saying that's what your problem is but worth exploring. Excessive wear on the fronts can lead to this as well.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Assuming tire pressure is good x4.
Just roll it back a couple feet while jinking the wheel a little left and right while holding pressure on the lever to disengage.
Welcome to the forum and let us know if it works!

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
This a symptom of improper tire/wheel sizing. Without the proper amount of overrun you transmission will bind and can be destroyed if not addressed. Not saying that's what your problem is but worth exploring. Excessive wear on the fronts can lead to this as well.
clay45, my tractor only has 80 hours on it and has been this way since I got the tractor in Dec of 2014, so I don't think it has anything to do with tire/wheel sizing.

wv bc owner

Jul 26, 2015
US
I have a bx 2200 sometimes I have to rock the tractor slightly back and forth while pulling the 4wd lever to get it to disengage. Brings back memories of old school 4wd trucks.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
as mentioned,picking front wheels up should relieve torque load.
my old power wagon manual stated reverse doing an s-turn will unload the driveline.
I never use 4wd on any sort of hard ground.its simply hard on driveline and steering components.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
While incorrect tire size ratio's will cause driveline binding, that isn't the most common cause. The front tires turn left and right, the rears do not. So, when in 4WD and turning, the front tires travel a different arc than the rears, causing the driveline to bind up. Simply put, driving the opposite direction for a short distance will unwind that tension enough to disengage, as will lifting the front tires off the ground with the loader, or turning left and right while moving. The most common, and effective, practice is to reverse direction while disengaging until it goes out.
Every 4WD machine will do, to one degree or another. So, it isn't likely that you have a mechanical issue with your tractor; it is a manner of operation.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
The most common, and effective, practice is to reverse direction while disengaging until it goes out.
I tried this and it doesn't help, at least when I tried it. Like I said in my post, pushing down on the four wheel drive leveler, letting the clutch out and turning the steering wheel works every time on my L3901DT. Your mileage my vary.

Spade

Equipment
L4310
Aug 20, 2015
Castleton, NY USA
I have tried all of the replies and thank you for them. I believe it is probably internal as it seems like it is bound up. Guess I will have to either drive it in 4 wheel or take it apart. Thanks again.