Why won't L4200 wake up?

mn4x4

Equipment
L4200 GST
May 18, 2014
Minnesnowta
I'm *SURE* this is something stupid that I did, so let's get that out of the way to start with....

I replaced the clutch in my L4200GST and *just* finished getting it back together. I was going to test run it today, but I only had time for a quick check before it starting pouring rain. When I turned the key, NOTHING happened. No lights, no gauges, no self-check...nothing! Then I remembered that I hadn't reconnected the ground wire to the battery.

DOH!

So I reconnected the ground wire to the battery, and tried it again. No lights, no gauges, no self-check...nothing!

I had time to do a few quick checks, so here is what I know:

Battery is good
Ground to frame is good
Hot is good to starter

That's all the further I got before it dumped rain and I quit for the day.

Knowing all of the connectors that came apart when I split the tractor, I'm wondering if there are any 'likely suspects' that i should start to chase. I am very comfortable troubleshooting electrical problems, but I don't have a schematic which makes it a lot harder.

Any suggestions would be appreciated?!

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think, (I don't have the WSM for that tractor), there is a connector that should be on the top or side of the clutch housing that probably got disconnected.

mn4x4

Equipment
L4200 GST
May 18, 2014
Minnesnowta
That didn't take much. Turns out I had missed one of the wire lugs when I reattached the wires to the starter. Once I figured that out it was a 2 minute fix.

Of course, as soon as I had the tractor running, one of my loader hydraulic hoses decided to spring a leak.

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.

;-)