Why the Artillian grapple kind of sucks...

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
B737 I just read this thread. You said in the first post "the honeymoon wore off". I was going to suggest a divorce, buy you already did!

Reactions: 1 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I have decided to stay in the abusive relationship I have with artillian. It's battered wife syndrome. EA refunded my grapple order 68 days in, and I ordered the second ridiculously priced lid from artillian. I am going to plumb the lines myself with T's and permanently attach the grapple to its frame with its plumbing. I saved $1000 in this transaction by doing it this way, but overall money into this grapple is just horrendous.

The deciding factor was last week. I was clearing construction debris from the house with my S/O. She was on the machine, and I was hand loading the grapple. The trash pile was too close to the house and hardscaping to shove a grapple into the pile. The extended lower horizontal tines made hand loading easy, and her trips to the dumpster were 100% spill free.

I realized the short lower semi-vertical tines on the EA grapple would have limited each load. The LA435 swift tach loader only has a 25° roll back angle exacerbating the issue, most loaders are 30°. The wide single lid may have pinched on the awkward large pieces of lumber protruding in all directions, possibly allowing stuff to escape during her long trek to the dumpster where she skillfully dumped each load like a pro. There were countless sheets of sheetrock stacked flat, plus all the lumber.

I may regret this and I will not support or endorse them, but im going to learn to "love the one you're with" :) I will report back when I get the second lid plumbed up and working.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have decided to stay in the abusive relationship I have with artillian. It's battered wife syndrome. EA refunded my grapple order 68 days in, and I ordered the second ridiculously priced lid from artillian. I am going to plumb the lines myself with T's and permanently attach the grapple to its frame with its plumbing. I saved $1000 in this transaction by doing it this way, but overall money into this grapple is just horrendous.

The deciding factor was last week. I was clearing construction debris from the house with my S/O. She was on the machine, and I was hand loading the grapple. The trash pile was too close to the house and hardscaping to shove a grapple into the pile. The extended lower horizontal tines made hand loading easy, and her trips to the dumpster were 100% spill free.

I realized the short lower semi-vertical tines on the EA grapple would have limited each load. The LA435 swift tach loader only has a 25° roll back angle exacerbating the issue, most loaders are 30°. The wide single lid may have pinched on the awkward large pieces of lumber protruding in all directions, possibly allowing stuff to escape during her long trek to the dumpster where she skillfully dumped each load like a pro. There were countless sheets of sheetrock stacked flat, plus all the lumber.

I may regret this and I will not support or endorse them, but im going to learn to "love the one you're with" :) I will report back when I get the second lid plumbed up and working.
I think most of us have been where you're at, not necessarily with a tractor implement but wishing we'd gone in a different direction. I haven't used the Wicked 60 yet, but other than the hoses which is a fairly minor problem I'm impressed with the construction.

I bought the MX back in February thinking I was going to keep the BX too but I sold it a couple of months later. Had I known I was going to sell it I would have definitely bought an MX6000 with a cab which was available at that time. Now I'm probably going to lose a bunch of money trading in the MX for a cab model next year. My point is that it's not always easy to start out with the best plan and stick to it.

I for one am interested in hearing more about the Artillian once you have the second lid installed.

Reactions: 2 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
When I started this thread I had stuff spilling out of my narrow single lid, overpriced, over weight grapple.

Solution 1: buy EA grapple
Pro: better grapple. Cons: long wait, single lid, additional $1,200.​
Solution 2: soup up overpriced, over weight single lid grapple with additional lid.
Pros: save $1,200 in this transaction, get twin lids.​

I placed the order Tuesday and it arrived Friday. It comes with this manifold. Tossed that for 2 T-fittings and zip ties. Had my local hose shop make up 6 hoses. Connected everything up and I'm in business. I will try and make do with this until I break it.

Two things I do actually like about this grapple are: 1) now have dual lids 2) I really like the horizontal lower tines that protrude forward, I'm used to this configuration having owned it for a few years.

Weight: 320 pounds + plus zip ties.

Reactions: 4 users

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Looks like a clean install. Have you had a chance to use it yet?

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
When I started this thread I had stuff spilling out of my narrow single lid, overpriced, over weight grapple.

Solution 2: soup up overpriced, over weight single lid grapple with additional lid.

I placed the order Tuesday and it arrived Friday. It comes with this manifold. Tossed that for 2 T-fittings and zip ties. Had my local hose shop make up 6 hoses. Connected everything up and I'm in business. I will try and make do with this until I break it.

Two things I do actually like about this grapple are: 1) now have dual lids 2) I really like the horizontal lower tines that protrude forward, I'm used to this configuration having owned it for a few years.

Well, whatever its functionality (and I hope you are pleased with the new configuration), it is one cool looking grapple.
I like my grapple, but it will never look as sharp as the Artillian.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I’ve used the single lid set up for about 2 years. No seat time with the new configuration yet. I have some brush to clear this week so will know soon enough.

their system really lends itself to people stuck with pin on buckets, but I’m going to try to roll with it and see how it goes.

@GreensvilleJay , one single lid, esp a large wide one, can’t articulate like a double lid for uneven loads. This was the reason why I was having a difficult time choosing between EA and the Precision Manufacturing mini 322. PM used to be the same price as 55” EA but they raised their prices.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Well it sure looks mean! Good luck with the testing. Mine looks like Pac-Man and chomps slash just like the game lol.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

That's an awesome looking grapple, and if you're ultimately happy with it you'll soon forget about the less than ideal route you took to get you to this point.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
update.
I am much happier with this grapple. Yesterday I put about 4 hours on it to move a modest pile of brush. It is easier and more effective with the second independent lid.

I would do it differently if I had to do it again, but overall I'm pleased with its performance now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Glad to hear it's working out for you after putting the second lid on.

Patent Guy

Premium Member

Equipment
LX 2610, LA 535, BH 77, SU R14 Tires, 1.5" Spacers, 2 remotes, LP 3rd Function.
Nov 14, 2020
East Tennessee
I went down this same path with the Artillian, except I ordered the second lid within about a month as I dropped much more than I carried and am way too impatient to develop better skills. So saving money turned into wow, what a pricey contraption I now have. The reason I ultimately went with Artillian is they are the only seller who has product to ship. EA, PM, ANBO, LP had nothing. Definitely the Cadillac of small grapples.

Other than the cost, the issue I have had is the fittings on the grapple cylinders loosening after a few hours use and spraying fluid everywhere and tearing one of the hoses. So something to be careful of is unlike other units the hoses are out there and exposed to the brush pile and it can absolutely tear them up. I'm sure the fitting tightening issue is operator error, but there are a whole lot of fittings that have to be appropriately tightened on this thing as you know.... Quite the spaghetti look on the loader with the distribution block. I have found that attaching bungees on each of the loader arms around each respective hose bundle does help to prevent the hoses from being wrecked, but have destroyed a couple of the bungies, but ok - cheaper than replacement hoses. Just my experience so far. Quite a fan of their ROPS attachment bar, canopy with fan, and little lights.

With the two, lids the tool does work extremely well and in addition to the flat bottom to stack things on which I also appreciate and routinely use, it can wreck brush roots and the like quite readily. The entire force the tractor can provide focused on only 6 earth engagement points can tear things up quite quickly, including asphalt if you miss... I am stunned I have not bent this thing by now, but it is clearly made of extremely strong stuff.

All the best!

Reactions: 1 user

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
well I'm glad I'm not the only one. Thank you for sharing.

It is kind of a love hate relationship now.

I agree about the hoses all being out in the breeze, esp the set feeding the grapples. The hand loading 'feature' that is one of the things I do really like about how its configured. They should make a version of their grapple without the $800 'frame', without the $250 'diverter', that is double lid and a rake, all in one unit, and knock $1000 off the thing :)

Patent Guy

Premium Member

Equipment
LX 2610, LA 535, BH 77, SU R14 Tires, 1.5" Spacers, 2 remotes, LP 3rd Function.
Nov 14, 2020
East Tennessee
well I'm glad I'm not the only one. Thank you for sharing.

It is kind of a love hate relationship now.

I agree about the hoses all being out in the breeze, esp the set feeding the grapples. The hand loading 'feature' that is one of the things I do really like about how its configured. They should make a version of their grapple without the $800 'frame', without the $250 'diverter', that is double lid and a rake, all in one unit, and knock $1000 off the thing :)

"It is kind of a love hate relationship now."

Sums it all up...however, misery does love company. Nice to meet you electronically. Big fan of your canopy system BTW.