Why nobody talking about rachet rake

nav0239

Equipment
B6000, B219 loader, 619B backhoe
Jan 4, 2015
Camano Island, WA
It gets very good reviews. Will this work on a small kubota, like my B6000? It has a 40" bucket and the smallest rachet rake is 52". I am thinking to use it clear brush mostly.

Has anybody with a small tractor/loader used it? Any feedback?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Most people go with a tooth bar. No ratchet straps to deal with

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
Tooth bar is mainly for digging. Ratchet rake is mainly for raking.

Bruce

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
It gets very good reviews. Will this work on a small kubota, like my B6000? It has a 40" bucket and the smallest rachet rake is 52". I am thinking to use it clear brush mostly.

Has anybody with a small tractor/loader used it? Any feedback?
I went with the piranha tooth bar instead of the ratchet rake. You get the benefit of digging and raking. Just turn the bucket down and back up to rake. It's also is great at clearing brush and small trees. It's been the best addition to my tractor arsenal.

nav0239

Equipment
Jan 4, 2015
Camano Island, WA
"Digging and raking". It sounds intersting. I will look at the piranha tooth bar as well.

In my case, I got a backhoe with the tractor which I thought I would use it for digging. In this case, the rachet rake maybe more useful compared to the piranha? I got a lot of blackberries to eliminate.

As for rachet rake, I though the key advantage is that you can turn the bucket 45 degrees, and two rows of the teeth can actually grab brushes and simply pull them out of the ground.

Last edited:

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Nope, wouldn't want it. The ratchets will wear on all the sharp bends and wear from everything you drag in and across them. A classic bolt-on tooth bar like the Piranha will outperform it and you don't have to replace ratchet straps or worry about them getting in the way of a bucket full of whatever.

pottsm2639

Equipment
L3540hstc, Landscape rake, rotary mower, auger, box blade, ratchet rake
Mar 30, 2014
Jackson, Mi
I have the ratchet rake and love it. I use chain binders and short chain to attach. I have cleared acres of brush, stumps, and overgrowth. I highly recommend it and have never had a problem with mine. Its one of my favorite attachments and its worth every penny.

nav0239

Equipment
Jan 4, 2015
Camano Island, WA
I can see it works well on brushes but what it can do for stumps? Also, have you ever looked at Piranha Tooth Bar or used one? Any comparison for brush removal?

JWATT51

Equipment
Kubota B2620
Dec 31, 2010
Wilmington.MA.
I have a ratchet rake on my B2620 and had one on my BX25 and wouldn't be without one.I've cleared many of properties for people with overbrush and also for grading.

pottsm2639

Equipment
L3540hstc, Landscape rake, rotary mower, auger, box blade, ratchet rake
Mar 30, 2014
Jackson, Mi
It works awesome for stump removal. Piranha tooth bar wasn't an option for me. I put a new cutting edge wear bar on my bucket where the toothe bar would install. Because of the ease of removing the ratchet rake, I get the best of both worlds. Ratchet rake rips roots and stumps with ease.
Look for my video on YouTube. Same user name.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Actually, the ratchet strap only goes over 1 part of the bucket @ the top edge and its protected by a seperate anti-chafing sleeve
The video link shown puts the straps across the front of the bucket, right in a major wear zone and reducing the capability/capacity of the bucket. Not something I'd like in an add-on toothbar.

I'd rather just have a bolt on unit, it's not like saving a couple of minutes for the change out would bug me. Really, to each their own, but for me, this is not an option I'd ever choose.

woodskiff

Apr 26, 2014
Mansfield
I have the ratchet rake and love it. I use chain binders and short chain to attach. I have cleared acres of brush, stumps, and overgrowth. I highly recommend it and have never had a problem with mine. Its one of my favorite attachments and its worth every penny.
What he just said!....Too many positive reviews from others to mention. But, I ordered mine from TSC for the BX..they called me to pick it up....ooops' it was sold accidentally before I got to the store.....BTW...they admitted to a mistake...and are making it right for me. A lot of people have experience using the RR and recommend the product...I'm sure I did right on this tool.:)

gulfmp

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, 54" mmm, BX 5450, Box blade
Dec 23, 2016
Central MA
Has anyone had both the Ratchet Rake and the PTB and can comment on/compare their experience with each of them?

gulfmp

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, 54" mmm, BX 5450, Box blade
Dec 23, 2016
Central MA
It seems to me that there is more back dragging with the Ratchet Rake, vs forward clearing with the PTB. I am concerned about driving thru the brush to back drag because of the HST fan.

Boo

Equipment
MX5800; BH92, BB2572, Forks 3048
Jul 1, 2016
HOLT, Florida
If I want to dig with the FEL, the tooth bar probably helps. However, I can dig without the tooth bar as well. If I want to back drag brush, the Ratchet Rake is the item to use. If I were to get only one of them, it would have to be the RR. Not everyone needs to clear out brush and weeds, but I do.

Brazos

Equipment
L2501DT
Jul 12, 2016
Texas
I bought a RR recently and it is a good tool. Ideally I would like to find a cheap, used, SSQA bucket to weld the RR to and put a Pirranah bar on my current bucket (I have no use for a smooth bucket). They both have some crossover in what they can do but are not exactly the same. I want both but don't want to bolt the tooth bar on and off every time I want to use the RR, and the. Have to strap that on. Lazy I guess.

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Has anyone had both the Ratchet Rake and the PTB and can comment on/compare their experience with each of them?
I have both, the Pirahna is always on and can do most of what the RR will do but the RR won't match the usefulness of the PTB. If I were to pick one it would be the PTB, if you have the cash get both so when you have a large area to clear strap on the RR. The RR will work with the PTB on so I clear with RR and the load up the debris pile with the PTB. You also go both directions with the RR and only clear going forward with the PTB. Check out YouTube for examples of use and it will help you decide. I first had a toolcat with the RR, when I downsized to the BX digging was an issue, PTB to the rescue which is why I have both. Nice to have but not a necessity.