Why is the toughest bolt to get to always the toughest to crack?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Not a tractor, and not a big deal compared to modern tractors or vehicles.

Replacing door glass on my 15 year old pellet stove. Stove has a cast iron body.

One hinge-side bolt was tweaked a little and didn't want to give. 5/32" allen, that I stripped. 80 tons of pellets, and 15 years made it a lil wonky.....

Drove a torx bit in it....I could hear my Grandfather, my Dad, D2Cat, Fordtech, Daren and many others saying "don't crack that cast door....."

All I could think was if that were not the hinge side, it would be so easy......

32DDF219-F0BB-454B-B7B3-83E59FD19E83.jpeg

Success.

It's never the ones you can get at the give problems. Again, this is pretty mild compared to many machines today....everything is so tight.

As a 16 year old, I remember header bolts that were a PITA on my '67 Chevy.

There's been so many since......and they're never the ones that you can get at easily.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Thats one of murphys laws in the shop 😂

Another pro tip for you guys that work on your own stuff…Leave a drain pan full of oil under the vehicle/machine at all times, if you drop something it will end up in the drain pan. Location doesn’t matter, you can put it under the tailpipe and be working under the hood, if it falls it lands in the pan every time 🤣

(sorry to laugh RCW 😁)

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I can relate, changing the oil in my truck and when I went to get from under it my hat hit the skid plate and swimming it went. Not just a hat but one of my favorite Kubota hats.
20200704_085020.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Thats one of murphys laws in the shop 😂

Another pro tip for you guys that work on your own stuff…Leave a drain pan full of oil under the vehicle/machine at all times, if you drop something it will end up in the drain pan. Location doesn’t matter, you can put it under the tailpipe and be working under the hood, if it falls it lands in the pan every time 🤣

(sorry to laugh RCW 😁)
After pulling wrench's for 50 + years that's the best tip of them all and I could have used it today. Had to change out the oil cooler line on the Wife's 16 Canyon due to leaking, OK that shouldn't be a problem. Boy was wrong there are little spring clips which hold the line ends in their fitting's. Got 3 out of the 4 done, the last one I couldn't get my hand in to get the clip snapped in..........ERRRR! somewhere in the engine bay there are 3 of those things, None landed on the floor.

Reactions: 1 user

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
After pulling wrench's for 50 + years that's the best tip of them all and I could have used it today. Had to change out the oil cooler line on the Wife's 16 Canyon due to leaking, OK that shouldn't be a problem. Boy was wrong there are little spring clips which hold the line ends in their fitting's. Got 3 out of the 4 done, the last one I couldn't get my hand in to get the clip snapped in..........ERRRR! somewhere in the engine bay there are 3 of those things, None landed on the floor.
I know its too late now, but they make a tool for them so you don’t have to pull the clips out.

6F69C8A9-8AA2-49D3-A7C7-915110C969F8.jpeg

6078EB36-E801-4A14-9858-3ABA7B170AEF.jpeg

They call them jiffy tite connectors (going off memory, I think thats what gm uses)

Reactions: 1 user