Why a Grader Scraper is Better than a Box Scraper for Driveway Maintenance

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
We've been doin a mile long gravel drive (3/4 of it up hill) for 24 years and much prefer a box blade! Most of what we do though is drag gravel back uphill. But I can still get a better finish with the box than I can with a blade.

My BIL prefers a regular blade though, so different strokes... :cool:

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I use a rear blade with a gauge wheel. It knocks down the high spots and fills in the lows. I go up one side with the blade angled to the middle, then down the other side. Then I turn the blade around backwards and square, and make a run down the middle to spread the loose berm. Works great.
I like the looks of the grader scraper; its base looks long enough to keep things even. But my rear blade can ditch, plow snow, spread dirt & gravel and landscape, as well as maintain the driveway.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I would probably spring for one if all I was going to do was road maintenance.

Rodeo hunter

Equipment
l4400hst with loader,
Apr 2, 2014
Indiana
I like the box scraper with adjustable rippers to take out the big hump in center of farm lanes. I could see the grader as being really usefull for lightly compacted drives though. It doesn't look like it has the weight to do more than level semi- loose to loose # 53 or pea gravel to me ?? I think they both have their proper Places in the tool shed.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
While the video explains the use nicely, when it comes to handling severely eroded gravel, actually reshaping the roads that had major trouble, most highway departments use the road grader. It may take more skill to use than hauling the scarper, but a rear blade has been around a long time and has proven itself in a variety of places.

A highway dept near me has a form of scraper grader, basically some angle iron welded into a frame laying on the ground. Where all they need to do is shape up some rutting of wheel tracks,etc. they use it, but most of the time it sits unused. It is difficult to get to the job site, since it is over 8 feet 8 feet wide.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'd spring for a power rake. Its a 4in1 tool that would save me having to buy 4 individual attachments. With a power rake on a driveway it can atleast resurface gravel thats compacted down deep, thus reducing the need to buy more gravel.

Cchump89

Apr 22, 2014
Greencastle
I think the main point we were trying to get across is that for driveway maintenance, the grader scraper is the easiest and most foolproof tool. Grader blades and boxes can take a little more finesse. A lot of our customers have only been on a tractor for a little while and the drop and drive simplicity of the grader scraper makes it nice! Thank you everyone for the responses though!

buckaroo52

Equipment
Kubota L 3800 DT
Jun 5, 2013
Molalla, Oregon
I have a landpride GS 1860 heavy duty grading scraper that has 4 scarifer rippers and weighs 550 lbs. I can add a plate to the back to move more dirt or gravel if necessary. I use it to push bigger stuff backwards, and to rip up ground and eventually level off later. Great for ripping out roots and brush, and with its weight, I leave it on my L3800 most always for ballast. I have a old 60" box scraper that my neighbors wanted to have until he saw my grading scraper work. I even packed a bull elk to the house with it...now that is a multi purpose implement boy's !