Why a center pivot on the front axle?

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Thank You Henro for the clarification since we know not where the other topic might be without searching.

You Sir, are exactly correct regarding the stabilizing effect of a pivoting front axle until the pivot reaches it's limit.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
It seems to me that there are some valid points of contention in this.
Firstly, I don’t think there is only ONE reason tricycle tractors have disappeared. Stability of “stance” against tipping is certainly improved, due to weight transfer.
And..... Weight transfer is different for each wheel in-motion as compared to each wheel when static.

However, This weight transfer affects steering capability also.... a wider footprint is better in soggy terrain because a 4-wheel tractor simply has more traction than a trike. (True trikes were modified to V-trikes to improve steering control in soft soils....and spreading the front stance created additional steering effectiveness.).
Weight transfer is adversely affected by short wheelbase during braking.... and adversely affected by narrow track-width when cornering. Sleddog is likely thinking about cornering weight-transfer when he endorses wide front wheels. The reduction in weight transfer to the outside wheel is improved as the stance widens. (Think of a pendulum beneath the center.... How close will the pendulum weight approach a wheel during cornering. A wider stance means the pendulum weight remains closer to the center rather than closer to the outside wheel.)

BUT the problem arises when uneven terrain is encountered. When that happens with two stiff axles then at least one and sometimes two wheels can be unloaded in the extreme. THEN you have a serious “tipping” problem. (Imagine a tractor on a sharp ridge running diagonally. If the left front wheel and the right rear wheel are in the air because the RF and LR are the only ones on the ground.)
Not only would that create a stability issue, it also results in loss of traction, and loss of steering.
It would be extremely complicated/expensive to design a tractor with independent wheel suspension.... and it would likely result in a loss of overall strength unless a very extensive and heavy framework were created.

Pivoting the center of the tractor would address the issue. If the front axle and rear axles could rotate laterally with regard to each other...then all 4 wheels would remain on the ground...and stability and steering and traction would be less affected. But pivoting a tractor in it’s center.....which relies upon it’s engine/transmission castings for basic construction would really be troublesome.

Simple solution: Pivot only one axle.

Since a traction is mainly directed to the larger rear wheels it is simpler to pivot only one axle... the front axle. Simple is usually better because it can be stronger with fewer components.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

foobert

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 25, 2021
Washington
Woah, zombie thread dug its way out of the graveyard — aim for the head before it eats your brains.

Ikc1990

Equipment
Kubota m125x, m9000, b2710, and other equiptment
Dec 2, 2020
Vermont
Why dont tractors get wings instead of high gear so it can fly us where we want with a nice soft cushiony landing... cuz it's a damn work horse not a recliner with beer opener and cooled drink cup holder..... just saying and I thought I was getting weak by putting a heater in my can for those -35 deg f windy days.

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
Woah, zombie thread dug its way out of the graveyard — aim for the head before it eats your brains.
I have been reading thru the entire website one post at a time, gathering info. My L4701 Kubota is a year out, perhaps a bit more with the backlog. Gotta sell a house first and get our new (to us) home ready to live in. Too many irons in the fire to add a tractor that would honestly sit for most of the next year. New to Kubota brand, but not diesels or repairing thereof. Hope I didn't violate any rules. Thank you.

Reactions: 3 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I have been reading thru the entire website one post at a time, gathering info. My L4701 Kubota is a year out, perhaps a bit more with the backlog. Gotta sell a house first and get our new (to us) home ready to live in. Too many irons in the fire to add a tractor that would honestly sit for most of the next year. New to Kubota brand, but not diesels or repairing thereof. Hope I didn't violate any rules. Thank you.
LOL! You didn't violate any rules. I did the very same thing in the beginning. Welcome to the club!! You are not alone.:)