Why 3901 HST Quit, wouldn't crank, Now fixed

baronetm

Equipment
L3901HST w/FEL, 3rd fnct. BH77 BH, 5' Bushhog, 6' BBL, 42" Forks, WoodMaxx WM-8H
Apr 19, 2017
South Central VT.
A month ago I was plowing my driveway when my tractor sputtered and nearly quit. A few moments later while dismounting the tractor to check the mail box the tractor quit with the parking brake set and as soon as I got off the seat, I may have hit the HST treadle peddle with by big foot but not sure. In any event the tractor would not crank, all dash lamps appeared normal and no codes showed up.

I called the manager of my dealership to see if a serviceman was available to get it going or help me to get it back to the garage since the tractor was at the end of the drive and near the highway. The manager told me to try cranking the engine while wobbling the treadle pedal, he says sometimes it will restart, in my case it worked.

I called the dealer back to inform him the tractor started and was now in the garage, he said he would still send the serviceman since he had to pass my home on the way back to the shop. The serviceman showed up and checked it out and all appeared okay and functioned as he thought it should. Since that day the tractor has quit twice but always started while wobbling the treadle pedal.

Three weeks after the initial encounter a road call bill appeared in the mail, a bit high I thought since the service guy was here for 10 minutes and I had already removed all the shields for his easy access to the suspected switch and he did not have to go out of his way to get here. In speaking with the dealerships manager about the charges on the bill I told him the tractor had quit twice since but restarted and I considered this warranty work.

We agreed he would have the serviceman stop the next business day and recheck the switches and to hold off on paying the bill.

The meat of the story, the service man showed at the agreed upon time and attempted to start the tractor without mounting the tractor or touching anything and it would not crank, something that has never happened to me. On further inspection and direction from his manager he found the “Switch, Over Drive”, item 060, PT # T1853-42790 was mounted from the factory incorrectly. The lock nut was on the top of the mounting bracket and should have been mounted on the lower side of the bracket. Upon reinstallation the tractor started as it should. It is possible the switch was in a position that a minute change in treadle pedal position was enough to shut down the tractor, since the switch was not fully engaged in the neutral position. Time will tell if this issue is behind me but just something for all of you to look at if your tractor is quitting for no apparent reason and will not crank on attempts to restart it.

Have any of you had a similar experience, and what were you doing when the tractor quit, working, seat belt fastened so you are secure in the seat, dismounting etc.

If this issue reappears I will post further updates.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Good information, I've changed the title to note that. ;)

Mainah

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501HST, BLMX3164 blower, BB1266 box blade, BX42S chipper, Titan forks
Feb 26, 2018
Standish, Maine
Thank you for your very comprehensive post.
My L2501 wouldn’t start unless you rock the treadle a little when the delivery guy tried to back it off the trailer lol. It’s done it probably a half dozen times since but I’ve never had trouble getting it to start so I haven’t messed with it. The dealership guy pointed out what he said was the neutral safety switch just below the steering wheel just tucked up under the dash panel. Is that the same one you’re referring to?
I appreciate the information and I’ve saved it to check on in the spring unless it dies completely before then.

baronetm

Equipment
L3901HST w/FEL, 3rd fnct. BH77 BH, 5' Bushhog, 6' BBL, 42" Forks, WoodMaxx WM-8H
Apr 19, 2017
South Central VT.
The dealership guy pointed out what he said was the neutral safety switch just below the steering wheel just tucked up under the dash panel. Is that the same one you're referring to?

Yes, on my tractor I have to take the Orange shielding over the center tunnel and a gray shield under the dash on the treadle peddle side to gain access to the switch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mainah

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501HST, BLMX3164 blower, BB1266 box blade, BX42S chipper, Titan forks
Feb 26, 2018
Standish, Maine
Yes, on my tractor I have to take the Orange shielding over the center tunnel and a gray shield under the dash on the treadle peddle side to gain access to the switch.
Thank you very much!:)