Whos into home grown

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
As an experiment, This past fall we put some winter rye in as a cover crop on 3 of our garden plots where we use the tiller. This week I mowed (mulched ) the rye in the 3 plots down to the dirt.

Today we tilled the different experimental plots. One plot we did not add any amendments, just the rye. One had straw and rye, and the other we put some lime and fire place ash in addition to the rye.

It definitely left some organic matter, but the tiller mixed it in much better than I thought it would (no clods).

Tiller brought up some new rocks so the 4 legged friends had a big time with those.

i don’t see any cold weather in forecast so hopefully we will start to plant soon. 🥃

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
We got a little break in the weather (temporarily maybe) dried up enough I got the strawberry patch replanted (probably way late for this year). Got the first round of corn planted, and some cucumbers. Been hardening off the peppers and maters. Calling for rain all week, was getting sprinkled on today ☹

Reactions: 1 users

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Got some more work done today.
IMG_5602.jpeg

L to R; 3 rows of field peas, 3 rows of green beans and 1 row of Roma tomatoes.
Small garden by suburban will have 1 row of jalapeños, 2 rows of cucumbers and 12 mounds of cantaloupe.

• Love

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Not to much to share here…small update:

We put some straw down to supress weeds coming up before we get to planting in one patch. (We’ll pull just enough back to plant the seedling and we should not have to remulch…or that is the goal). Seedlings need a little more time in the green house before we bring them out.

And in the other I sowed my oats on a week night😂…hand broadcast And a very light raking in. It’s just a small test patch of oats (small section of winter wheat behind it). Supposed to rain this evening. 🥃

Attachments

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Got some more work done today.
View attachment 127285
L to R; 3 rows of field peas, 3 rows of green beans and 1 row of Roma tomatoes.
Small garden by suburban will have 1 row of jalapeños, 2 rows of cucumbers and 12 mounds of cantaloupe.
That looks great. Who ran the stake driver? Looks like Someone got some exercise. 👍

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
That looks great. Who ran the stake driver? Looks like Someone got some exercise. 👍
Yours truly. All 36 of’em. 8 on each green bean row and 12 for tomatoes.
Buying more fence and post tomorrow for cucumber rows. We changed planting up some from last year and don’t have enough of either.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
According to family folklore, this batch was planted by spousal unit’s family in Georgia many generations ago, up to NY where in-laws live (3 generations in upstate NY), and now in Ohio at our place for past 20 yrs. The NY and Ohio portion enough still alive to verify, where it really started maybe sketchy….either way been in the spousal unit family many generations (GA:NY:OH) and now made its way well into the heart of Ohio. Anyway here is the first cut of the season…

Attachments

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
According to family folklore, this batch was planted by spousal unit’s family in Georgia many generations ago, up to NY where in-laws live (3 generations in upstate NY), and now in Ohio at our place for past 20 yrs. The NY and Ohio portion enough still alive to verify, where it really started maybe sketchy….either way been in the spousal unit family many generations (GA:NY:OH) and now made its way well into the heart of Ohio. Anyway here is the first cut of the season…
Delicious!
Either stewed, or in a pie!

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
It’s pretty wet up here. There is not too much to report in the garden until it dries up a bit…we are through the last of seedlings to be started under lights inside. Those are now transplanted and will stay in greenhouse until just a little bigger ((still have FC in the low/mid 40s at night for at least the next week or so). (Tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, sprouts, chard, parsley, thyme all moved the GH now). Anything we start from now will be started in the GH.

The oats we spread last week are coming up. (Looks like maybe rain washed us out a little but not aweful)

Yesterday we set the second hive out during a pause of the storms moving through (hopefully the bees show up Monday or Tuesday)

Other than that it’s too wet to mow or get anything started in the garden. Looks like rain for most of the week as well. 🥃

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
It’s pretty wet up here. There is not too much to report in the garden until it dries up a bit…we are through the last of seedlings to be started under lights inside. Those are now transplanted and will stay in greenhouse until just a little bigger ((still have FC in the low/mid 40s at night for at least the next week or so). (Tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, sprouts, chard, parsley, thyme all moved the GH now). Anything we start from now will be started in the GH.

The oats we spread last week are coming up. (Looks like maybe rain washed us out a little but not aweful)

Yesterday we set the second hive out during a pause of the storms moving through (hopefully the bees show up Monday or Tuesday)

Other than that it’s too wet to mow or get anything started in the garden. Looks like rain for most of the week as well. 🥃
Designer hives for sure!
Why is the blue one 3 supers tall?
With a new package (3lb.) I have never used more than 1 high, until package is established.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
We don't have much of a garden anymore, except for the boxes I built for herbs. Last year we did some tomatoes too.

For years, our oregano and thyme never came back in the spring. Some folks say oregano can take over a garden.

This is the second year they have flourished. Maybe we got a more hearty variety two years ago?

Chives always come back. That's middle box.

IMG_6799.jpeg

• Love

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Can’t get anything in the ground, the peppers were way past needing more space, we moved em today.

D596D807-208F-4AE9-BA1A-E3937EA143C0.jpeg

Been hardening off the maters too

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Oh and our new birds growing up a bit

D3058326-799D-40BA-88DA-E217A174552A.jpeg

we also got 2 broody hens in the coop.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
On Friday I planted all of the cool weather garden: potatoes, onions, and various greens. I also planted tomatoes but protected them with walls of water. Later this month, I’ll sow corn, beans, and plant winter and summer squash, melons, peppers, and cucumbers.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
We don't have much of a garden anymore, except for the boxes I built for herbs. Last year we did some tomatoes too.

For years, our oregano and thyme never came back in the spring. Some folks say oregano can take over a garden.

This is the second year they have flourished. Maybe we got a more hearty variety two years ago?

Chives always come back. That's middle box.

View attachment 127664
Oregano will spread by seed and can definitely spread across your garden if you don’t till the seedlings under where not wanted. My oregano plants have been growing in my garden for 18 years, and are definitely winter hardy.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Oregano will spread by seed and can definitely spread across your garden if you don’t till the seedlings under where not wanted. My oregano plants have been growing in my garden for 18 years, and are definitely winter hardy.
That’s my understanding now also. Always considered them an annual as they never came back.

Learned something new last couple years. 👍