which post hole digger?

djzander

Equipment
MX5100 4WD HST
Dec 6, 2016
Graysville Ohio USA
I have a MX5100
need to drill 50 holes for 6x6 posts.

what size digger and auger diameter should i buy /rent?

I'd mount on the 3 point hitch.

any advice and tips appreciated

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
10"

use pythagorithm formula..

6by6 .... 6*6+6*6=36+36= 72, sq root of 72 is 8.5, so 10" hole is needed.

hmm 6by6 is closer to 5.5*5.5 so you could use an 8" auger
30.25+30.25=60.6 sqrt is 7.78"
just be accurate, very little 'wiggle' room !
Jay

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Basically all the same except auger diameter. You want a 7" diameter auger for a 6x6 (51/2 x 51/2) post. I have one from TSC and had it for years. Works fine when I need it. I keep it hanging on a tree limb, makes putting it on real easy.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
A lot depends on how good you are at digging post holes.

If you can make sure that the hole you dig will be perfectly straight, then 7" might work. Most of us tend to have a little slop in our holes so to set the post straight, the hole has to be a larger diameter, say 10" or even 12".

Also if you need cement or other packing around the post, then those extra inches will be needed.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
A lot depends on how good you are at digging post holes.

If you can make sure that the hole you dig will be perfectly straight, then 7" might work. Most of us tend to have a little slop in our holes so to set the post straight, the hole has to be a larger diameter, say 10" or even 12".

Also if you need cement or other packing around the post, then those extra inches will be needed.
What I do is have my wife eye up the digger and instruct me when it's vertical. Easiest way to drill a vertical hole. Don't want to remove any more soil than I have to anyway. I set a lot of posts, remember I have cattle and grazing pastures.

The bigger the hole, the more 'Quickcrete' it takes and a little hint, if you set posts in Quickcrete, just dump it in dry and cover it. The ground moisture will set the mix. No need to add water.

Been doing that for years.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Now Flip, remember you tell frequently of your big tractors, other tractors are hobby tractors, your haying operation, how one farmer buys all you production and pay right on time every time, how you dislike horse owners, and you enjoy cattle and farming, and your age.

Spare us the repetitive reminders:D!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Now Flip, remember you tell frequently of your big tractors, other tractors are hobby tractors, your haying operation, how one farmer buys all you production and pay right on time every time, how you dislike horse owners, and you enjoy cattle and farming, and your age.

SideFlip is correct about putting the dry quickcrete in the hole. My Civil Engineer son helped me build an add-on shed to my hangar and we augured six 12" holes. (His advice on post-holes: If you are not setting in concrete drill holes as small as will accept the posts. If you are setting in concrete drill the largest holes of your capability because the addt'l weight of the concrete is advantageous to holding the post, especially-important on buildings where wind will try to "lift" the bldg.)

Since we were going to set them in quickcrete... I pulled out the ol' wheelbarrow and water hose and he objected to the addt'l labor that would require and talked me into simply pouring in the dry mix and leaving it alone. To placate me, we did "sprinkle" a little water on 3 of the 6 holes for comparison, but we did not actually "mix" the water into the crete dry-mix.

Sure enough, ten days later... it's all solid. Probably only works well in temperate areas... wouldn't try this in arid regions, especially if you can't wait a few weeks before stressing the posts. But remember, concrete isn't full strength for a month anyway (28 days according to the eng. degree we paid for.) :D

Attachments

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

No problem other than when I start haying I'll do a lot of pictures so everyone can see how it's done and done right... If, it ever quits raining that is...:eek:

Actually the fellow who buys all of it isn't a farmer at all. He owns and operates a professional Rodeo company and raises bucking bulls and steers and we get tickets to his Rodeo every summer, something my wife enjoys going to. Me, not so much.

Lost Nation Rodeo Company if you want to look it up.

He pays me at the end of summer btw.

I have big tractors, little tractors don't do what I require. Maybe I should step up to an M5 150 horse unit, but then that would be the dreaded Tier 4 engine. Forget that.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
You're gonna need a BIGGER POST HOLE DIGGER if you keep auguring/digging-in like this SideFlip! LOL

djzander

Equipment
MX5100 4WD HST
Dec 6, 2016
Graysville Ohio USA
I was thinking 12" auger for wiggle room , never done it before.
i could use the quick crete. it's for a 6 foot high fence to try and keep deer out of a garden (wife's idea ,not mine). i have 6x6 posts from a torn down pole barn.
330 feet of red brand 72" fencing. i'm looking at used post hole diggers for 3 point hitch. Found one for $425. with a 12" auger bit.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I was thinking 12" auger for wiggle room , never done it before.
i could use the quick crete. it's for a 6 foot high fence to try and keep deer out of a garden (wife's idea ,not mine). i have 6x6 posts from a torn down pole barn.
330 feet of red brand 72" fencing. i'm looking at used post hole diggers for 3 point hitch. Found one for $425. with a 12" auger bit.
You'll need longer posts if you bury them 2 or 3 feet, and a six-foot high fence may only create a deer trap rather than discourage them from attempting to clear it. I've had lots of deer die around my place after they attempt to leap a fence and their rear legs, swinging-forward in the leap, fail to clear the highest wire, which then twists-up around their fetlocks and they end up hanging by their rear legs, upside down, thrashing until they die. It's a pitiful thing.

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
I have a MX5100
need to drill 50 holes for 6x6 posts.

what size digger and auger diameter should i buy /rent?

I'd mount on the 3 point hitch.

any advice and tips appreciated
I have a slightly used shaver excellent shape 6" auger larger augers are available from ???
Asking $600 candian you pay shipping or come and get it Manitoba canada