Which models are compatible with a backhoe?

solarvalue

Jun 20, 2022
Australia
Hi all,
New member here. I am looking to purchase a used Kubota tractor soon, probably around the 30hp range and I would also like to get a backhoe. I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to purchase just a tractor first and then add the backhoe later on? I am thinking that it will give me more options, as not too many come up for sale with a backhoe in my area (NSW, Australia), and it will be cheaper to get into tractor ownership if I buy a tractor without a backhoe initially.
If this sounds like an ok idea, I have the following questions:
1. Which backhoe models are currently available? I have heard of the BH77 but perhaps there are others?
2. Which tractor models could accept the currently-available backhoes? I believe I would need to add a subframe, can a subframe be added to all models?
Thanks for any information.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Go to the Kubota website. Tractor models and compatible backhoes and other implements are listed. Be careful to keep fairly current with the equipment. It can be near impossible to get the correct backhoe subframe for discontinued tractor models.

Reactions: 1 users

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
I don't know how much backhoe/ loader work you intend to do.
If you are going with a L frame tractor anyway, you may want to consider a L47 which is actually designed for backhoe work.
If you're planting rose bushes and moving mulch it's overkill but if you are digging out stumps/huge rocks it's not.
What are your reasons/intended use for wanting a backhoe?
Backhoe attachments can be pretty hard on lightweight tractors.

Because I do a lot of FEL work I wanted a strong loader, so I bought a L47TL and added the backhoe the following year.

Reactions: 2 users

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Kubota quite often has very good financing options. So depending on how new of a machine you want, you might be just as far ahead to get a new one with a low interest rate, plus some warranty.

Reactions: 1 user

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome to the forum!
I don't know how parallel Australia is to the US; used backhoes can be very hard to come by, here. In most cases, it is easier and cheaper to buy the tractor equipped with the backhoe.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Welcome to the forum!
I don't know how parallel Australia is to the US; used backhoes can be very hard to come by, here. In most cases, it is easier and cheaper to buy the tractor equipped with the backhoe.
I strongly suspect this is absolutely true worldwide.
Used tractors with backhoes are almost ALWAYS sold as a complete unit!
In a country (Australia) with a population equal to 9% of the USA, finding the proper used (frame mounted) backhoe, to fit a particular used tractor, will be like searching for hens teeth.

Last edited:

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
My advice is to get them together. Especially if you are looking at older or used tractors.

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
My experience
Kubota quite often has very good financing options. So depending on how new of a machine you want, you might be just as far ahead to get a new one with a low interest rate, plus some warranty.
My experience Is that Kubota does NOT offer their preferred or zero/low % financing for implement alone purchases. YMMV

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
My experience

My experience Is that Kubota does NOT offer their preferred or zero/low % financing for implement alone purchases. YMMV
I purchased my front snowblower separate from my tractor, I got 0% nothing down for 2 years. This was 2 years ago, so things may have changes since. Again YMMV

majorwager

Equipment
Hi all,
New member here. I am looking to purchase a used Kubota tractor soon, probably around the 30hp range and I would also like to get a backhoe. I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to purchase just a tractor first and then add the backhoe later on? I am thinking that it will give me more options, as not too many come up for sale with a backhoe in my area (NSW, Australia), and it will be cheaper to get into tractor ownership if I buy a tractor without a backhoe initially.
If this sounds like an ok idea, I have the following questions:
1. Which backhoe models are currently available? I have heard of the BH77 but perhaps there are others?
2. Which tractor models could accept the currently-available backhoes? I believe I would need to add a subframe, can a subframe be added to all models?
Thanks for any information.
Some sound advice already posted. My belief is that many/most compact backhoe purchasers never engage the project volume that warrant the purchase cost. Even though they are more often an expensive ornament, they can offer expensive small project convenience. They are handy for residential underground utility installations/repairs. Large excavations & LARGE tree stump removals are more a pipedream.
The mounting brackets nightmare is real, & the fit to nonspecific models can result in very expensive fabrications. It is further believed that many purchases of a backhoe implement do not result in the stand alone sale of the item. The owner feels that ownership will enhance future trade in or resale value.
The actual truth is that selling the backhoe alone is an admission that tbe initial purchase was foolish/impulsive/unwarrented. Certain wives will take notice of the sale for later "discussions".
I have a true 10 ft. Backhoe attachment sitting in my shop unused for the last 24 years. I dug a perimeter rather tricky foundation around the entire 60 X 120 existing pole barn w/ low ceiling height. The purchase was specific to the project & financially justified. @ that time removed a few smaller stumps & dug 500+ Lin ft of utility lines. The small hoe attachments are surprisingly capable, BUT the learning curve is substantial, what appears simple in reality is NOT. Excavation is not easy work. If it is a toy for convenience, & it is affordable, admit that, & buy it. Not advisable to purchase a used model unless you are certain it will mount properly, includes ALL components, has not been abused. YMMV.

majorwager

Equipment
I purchased my front snowblower separate from my tractor, I got 0% nothing down for 2 years. This was 2 years ago, so things may have changes since. Again YMMV
Glad you were able to take advantage of that program. I errored in Not stating that the the terms would not mirror the power unit purchase. Tractor financing can extend out to five, perhaps six years w/ low terms due to the $ purchase amount. Not surprised you were offered two years, but the owner who might expect the full extended terms for an implement, could be disappointed . I am appreciative that you were Able to pounce on my comment so quickly. YMMV does not offer the latitude it once might have.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'll add my 2c, the same advice though. I'm in NZ, so perhaps relevant to you.

I did the same thing as you're thinking, but with a front end loader. I bought an inexpensive machine without a loader, then added the loader. I ended up having to pay full price for the loader, the new one fit. So I had a $3,000 tractor with a $9,000 loader on it. But when it came time to sell, I had a $3,000 tractor with a loader - a near-new loader isn't worth more than a second hand loader.

With backhoes it's much worse. Even a new backhoe may not fit an older model. And there are numerous discussions about trying to get all the parts for a second hand backhoe - even if it's an identical machine as what you have, the likelihood that the backhoe you buy will come with every part that you need is low - often the subframe is still on the tractor it came from, so you're getting half the backhoe.

I strongly advise against buying a tractor expecting to get an OEM backhoe for it later.

Alternative options are:
1. Buy a tractor with a backhoe on it. Availability may be a problem, but if you need a backhoe this is the best option

2. Buy a tractor without a backhoe, then add an aftermarket 3 pt hitch backhoe. These are not as good as an OEM backhoe, but they work, and they fit reasonably easily (since the mounting point is the 3ph they don't need special mounting equipment). But it's a less robust mounting, it impacts your departure angle (say, for trailering), and they can generally feel a bit janky. OK for occasional use I'd say

3. Don't buy a backhoe, rent a mini-excavator when you need to dig. This is actually better in a lot of ways - not least that your significant other can drive the tractor while you're driving the excavator - backfilling trenches, moving spoil etc. But more importantly it's often more cost effective, and mini-excavators are a lot better at many tasks than tractor backhoes are.

As everyone says, YMMV, but for most people most of the time......a backhoe is a luxury not a need. Of course, if you can afford the luxury then have at it - some people play golf, and I know where I'd rather spend my money. In that case though, just buy a machine that comes with a backhoe.

majorwager

Equipment
I'll add my 2c, the same advice though. I'm in NZ, so perhaps relevant to you.

I did the same thing as you're thinking, but with a front end loader. I bought an inexpensive machine without a loader, then added the loader. I ended up having to pay full price for the loader, the new one fit. So I had a $3,000 tractor with a $9,000 loader on it. But when it came time to sell, I had a $3,000 tractor with a loader - a near-new loader isn't worth more than a second hand loader.

With backhoes it's much worse. Even a new backhoe may not fit an older model. And there are numerous discussions about trying to get all the parts for a second hand backhoe - even if it's an identical machine as what you have, the likelihood that the backhoe you buy will come with every part that you need is low - often the subframe is still on the tractor it came from, so you're getting half the backhoe.

I strongly advise against buying a tractor expecting to get an OEM backhoe for it later.

Alternative options are:
1. Buy a tractor with a backhoe on it. Availability may be a problem, but if you need a backhoe this is the best option

2. Buy a tractor without a backhoe, then add an aftermarket 3 pt hitch backhoe. These are not as good as an OEM backhoe, but they work, and they fit reasonably easily (since the mounting point is the 3ph they don't need special mounting equipment). But it's a less robust mounting, it impacts your departure angle (say, for trailering), and they can generally feel a bit janky. OK for occasional use I'd say

3. Don't buy a backhoe, rent a mini-excavator when you need to dig. This is actually better in a lot of ways - not least that your significant other can drive the tractor while you're driving the excavator - backfilling trenches, moving spoil etc. But more importantly it's often more cost effective, and mini-excavators are a lot better at many tasks than tractor backhoes are.

As everyone says, YMMV, but for most people most of the time......a backhoe is a luxury not a need. Of course, if you can afford the luxury then have at it - some people play golf, and I know where I'd rather spend my money. In that case though, just buy a machine that comes with a backhoe.
Bundle the projects, rent mini excavator, very sound advice. caution against a 3 point mount. Any aggressive use can break the top link casting mount right off your tractor. Your pursuit of a frame/carrier mount is the proper fastening method. An inexperienced operator may inadvertently severely damage their machine. Do to other posts, I emphasize YMMV, YMMV YMMV

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Bundle the projects, rent mini excavator, very sound advice. caution against a 3 point mount. Any aggressive use can break the top link casting mount right off your tractor. Your pursuit of a frame/carrier mount is the proper fastening method. An inexperienced operator may inadvertently severely damage their machine. Do to other posts, I emphasize YMMV, YMMV YMMV
Renting a mini excavator is not a reasonable option for folks who live far from any facility that rents such things, and also is not an option for someone who wants to dig today, again next week, and again next month.
A three point backhoe is a recipe for destroying/breaking the back end of every tractor.

A lot about a backhoe is comparing need with want.
I want a backhoe (I own a very low hour Kubota L48 TLB), but I do not really need a backhoe.
At 81, my backhoe saves what is left of my back!

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
My belief is that many/most compact backhoe purchasers never engage the project volume that warrant the purchase cost. Even though they are more often an expensive ornament, they can offer expensive small project convenience.
Well said and true of many tractor attachments and tractor ownership in general. (y)

majorwager

Equipment
Renting a mini excavator is not a reasonable option for folks who live far from any facility that rents such things, and also is not an option for someone who wants to dig today, again next week, and again next month.
A three point backhoe is a recipe for destroying/breaking the back end of every tractor.

A lot about a backhoe is comparing need with want.
I want a backhoe (I own a very low hour Kubota L48 TLB), but I do not really need a backhoe.
At 81, my backhoe saves what is left of my back!
Contrarian from MA,
good news, Coastal Equipment is an hour from you, & they rent MULTIPLE compact excavators. Most readers from remote areas understand this, & accept excavation equipment is not available from the local grocery. In fact folks from remote areas expect access to equipment rental distances much greater than 1 hour. The fact that you emphasized "low your machine" reinforces a whimsical excavation schedule rather than one born of necessity.
As for digging every M,W,&F, that is a matter of self discipline & planning. If unable to coherently & cognitively anticipate or bundle the tasks, as was noted, than ownership might be the better choice.

IN general, every comment, may not be applicable to each subscriber. If a viewer feels the need to pounce upon every exception to the message, the better recourse might include use of the ignore option, as it might exist for just such purpose. I employ the YMMV salutation. In the future, I may note that my comments do not apply to grumpy contrarians from Mass.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Contrarian from MA,
good news, Coastal Equipment is an hour from you, & they rent MULTIPLE compact excavators. Most readers from remote areas understand this, & accept excavation equipment is not available from the local grocery. In fact folks from remote areas expect access to equipment rental distances much greater than 1 hour. The fact that you emphasized "low your machine" reinforces a whimsical excavation schedule rather than one born of necessity.
As for digging every M,W,&F, that is a matter of self discipline & planning. If unable to coherently & cognitively anticipate or bundle the tasks, as was noted, than ownership might be the better choice.

IN general, every comment, may not be applicable to each subscriber. If a viewer feels the need to pounce upon every exception to the message, the better recourse might include use of the ignore option, as it might exist for just such purpose. I employ the YMMV salutation. In the future, I may note that my comments do not apply to grumpy contrarians from Mass.
WOW!
Your post is very informative!.
I see a serious need for anger management counseling in your very near future.

majorwager

Equipment
WOW!
Your post is very informative!.
I see a serious need for anger management counseling in your very near future.
Expected nothing less that a childish response to my applicable rebuttal. You did not disappoint. Understandable your ego is bruised, but accept that unprovoked pouncing on another's comment just for argumentative purposes is rude & discourteous. Your other ad homInem remark is just more silly nonsense.

• Haha

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I was looking for the backhoe option for the M6060 on Kubota's website last night but it's no longer showing in the "build my Kubota" process. I happened to see the manager of the local Kubota dealership at the gas station this morning and asked him about it. He told me that Kubota sent out a memo this week stating that the backhoe for the M60 tractors (and possibly others) is discontinued. I asked why and the manager told me "poor sales". It's something like $20k for the backhoe, and the manager's advice to me was to buy a used Kubota mini excavator, something like a 10k pound model. One day maybe.