Which Kubota to get this time?

Skysurfer

Equipment
LX2610
Hello Again all,

In regards to mowing with a 60" belly mower only with this Kubota:
Had the BX 24, the BX 2660 and now it is time to get a new one again. The issues I have had with these sub compact tractors from Kubota is cooling. I use them hard when mowing (belly mount 60") and they tend to run up near the red or more so if I don't watch it. Comes from a few issues; one is the backwards cooling fan set up on these subcompact tractors and their subcompact components. The other issue is the fan belt, if it is not tight, it becomes an issue and if it isn't relatively new, it is beyond the alterantor brackett to get it any tighter. And of course there is the grass screen; again a matter of the sub compact configuration of these small machines and what I am asking them to do. I am not in hot weather either. And of course; change oil regulary and air filter too.

Looking at three different machines to buy from the Kubota line: the subcompact BX 2680, or the compact B 2601 or the compact LX 2610. Which one will stay cool the best? Is the fan/radiatior set up different on the compacts than the backwards setup on the subcompacts? They all are 24 or 25 HP Gross; so I guess they will all bog down at about the same level of grass? Do the larger wheels of the compacts have much positive influence on cooling and or power in regards to cutting for any reason?
Nothing else does the job I am asking these Kubotas to do, just trying to make this one my last purchase.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hello Again all,

Had the BX 24, the BX 2660 and now it is time to get a new one again. The issues I have had with these sub compact tractors from Kubota is cooling. I use them hard when mowing (belly mount 60") and they tend to run up near the red or more so if I don't watch it. Comes from a few issues; one is the backwards cooling fan set up on these subcompact tractors and their subcompact components. The other issue is the fan belt, if it is not tight, it becomes an issue and if it isn't relatively new, it is beyond the alterantor brackett to get it any tighter. And of course there is the grass screen; again a matter of the sub compact configuration of these small machines and what I am asking them to do. I am not in hot weather either. And of course; change oil regulary and air filter too.

Looking at three different machines to buy from the Kubota line: the subcompact BX 2680, or the compact B 2601 or the compact LX 2610. Which one will stay cool the best? Is the fan/radiatior set up different on the compacts than the backwards setup on the subcompacts? They all are 24 or 25 HP Gross; so I guess they will all bog down at about the same level of grass? Do the larger wheels of the compacts have much positive influence on cooling and or power in regards to cutting for any reason?
Nothing else does the job I am asking these Kubotas to do, just trying to make this one my last purchase.
The BX series is the only Kubota tractor series without front mounted radiators.

Wheel size will have no effect upon engine cooling but will affect ride.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
The B2601 runs rather low on the temperature gauge all the time. The BXs do not have enough ground clearance for our property. I'd probably rip away the HST cooling fan.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Hello Again all,

I am not sure my comments will help or not…and I’d like to preface that from your description I don’t know or understand your failure mode when you say cooling problems…I don’t know what that means. For all three machines I have owned (BX B and MX), they have all had the red light come on and all three incidents were due to grill/screen covered in mowing debris/chaff. In all three machines it was tall grass being mowed (hood height). On both the BX and the B it was with a MMM and the MX it was with a rear brush cutter. I run / ran all machines at WFO when mowing…still do. In my case it was just warning light. As soon as I cleaned the debris everyone was happy (screen cleaning is preventative IMO and is required on all three of the machines I have had). I would call that a warning not a problem. To me the machine / system worked to show warning so I could do the preventative maintenance before a problem happened. That is not a problem to me…that’s what it should do. So anyway I wonder did you have a machine stoppage or just a warning light and what was the cause? When you say it is too hot what is that based on? Is there an actual failure? Anyway I am not sure I helped or not.

Last edited:

Skysurfer

Equipment
LX2610
The BX series is the only Kubota tractor series without front mounted radiators.

Wheel size will have no effect upon engine cooling but will affect ride.
Thanks SDT,
Good information. I would think/hope the front mounted radiatior will cool better.
With the wheels size; I was thinking getting a bit more clearance might help with overall cooling?
Thanks all for the input and education.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Cooling is a function of power usage and the ability of the machine to dissipate excess heat through its own cooling system. Whether the machine sits up higher or not won't make a difference.

I have three B series tractors. All of them run cool. At various times I push them all to the limit and they run cool.

By way of comparison to your BX, I run an older B2410 - that's 21 engine HP driving a 54" mid-mount mower. I run the tractor at recommended PTO RPM and it is not in infrequent occurrence to see the RPM drop with mowing load, causing me to back off the hydrostatic drive pedal to slow down the rate of grass being fed into the mower. A typical mowing session is between 4 & 6 hours like this - pushing the machine as hard as it will practically go. It never heats up. Every once in a while I have to stop and clean grass dust off the radiator pre-screen, but even with it covered in grass dust I've never seen the temperature needle rise.

If you're running a 60" deck and you're having difficulties with keeping the machine cool, you need more tractor. Either the B or LX will do the job. I prefer the size and maneuverability of the B, but that's just me.

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
I can't believe that someone here hasn't jumped on the chance to talk him into an MX yet...... :D

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
My B runs cool. The radiator is at the front. I'm not in a hot climate though. My BX never really ran hot either, so YMMV. I'd expect radiator at the front to offer more effective cooling than the BX configuration, and I think the radiator is simply larger with a better fan as well.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I dont know what you are mowing but have you ever thought about a herd of goats ?

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
I had a LX2610 with 60" MMM and found I had to clean the screens often. I have a 84" rear finish mower on my LX3310 and find I have next to no debris in either screen when I take them out for cleaning.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Just a thought for you to consider... If you are using the tractor just for mowing with the 60" MMM. Have you thought about a quality zero turn? I have a 10 acre lot but only mow about 2.5 acres of it. The rest is woods. I used to have a B7510 with a 60" MMM but I do a lot of loader work and the mower deck was just in the way when mowing. I bought a Cub Cadet Zero Turn and cut the mowing time in half. (I have a lot of trees to mow around) I sold the B7510 last year and got a LX2610 but without a mower. and gave the Cub Cadet mower to one of my kids.
I have since gotten a Scag Tiger Cat 2 with a 61" deck & the Kawasaki FT730 motor and it is perhaps overkill for as much as I mow but it is more heavy duty than the Kubota decks that you can get on a tractor. Another mower to look at but it's costs as much as my LX did is the Scag Turf Tiger 2 with either the Kawasaki FD water cooled gas motor or for a bit more the Kubota diesel motor. The advantage with the Turf Tiger is the mower deck is shaft not belt driven. Both mowers have cast iron spindles that are greaseable and the top of the mower deck is laminated with 3 layers and is 1/2" thick.

Now if your using the tractor for things other than mowing that may override the advantage a zero turn offers. As the zero turn pretty much can only mow but they do that better than anything else.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Just a thought for you to consider... If you are using the tractor just for mowing with the 60" MMM. Have you thought about a quality zero turn? I have a 10 acre lot but only mow about 2.5 acres of it. The rest is woods. I used to have a B7510 with a 60" MMM but I do a lot of loader work and the mower deck was just in the way when mowing. I bought a Cub Cadet Zero Turn and cut the mowing time in half. (I have a lot of trees to mow around) I sold the B7510 last year and got a LX2610 but without a mower. and gave the Cub Cadet mower to one of my kids.
I have since gotten a Scag Tiger Cat 2 with a 61" deck & the Kawasaki FT730 motor and it is perhaps overkill for as much as I mow but it is more heavy duty than the Kubota decks that you can get on a tractor. Another mower to look at but it's costs as much as my LX did is the Scag Turf Tiger 2 with either the Kawasaki FD water cooled gas motor or for a bit more the Kubota diesel motor. The advantage with the Turf Tiger is the mower deck is shaft not belt driven. Both mowers have cast iron spindles that are greaseable and the top of the mower deck is laminated with 3 layers and is 1/2" thick.

Now if your using the tractor for things other than mowing that may override the advantage a zero turn offers. As the zero turn pretty much can only mow but they do that better than anything else.
+++++ For the SCAG family of zero turns.
I have three tractors, none of which has a mower (I do have a PTO brush hog).
MY SCAG is a delight to mow with!

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
OP have you looked into a F mower? I take care of 4, 2 3680's and 2 2690's. County parks and recreation and work detail run them. The 3680's are pushing 4000 hours, with no major major repairs. A few deck gear box rebuilds, one had a rust hole in the hydraulic cooler but other than that its been oil changes, belts and tires.

Chapel Hill Vann

Equipment
B2601, bush hog, pallet forks, boom pole, scraper blade
May 1, 2022
Chapel Hill NC
I have a new B2601. I don’t use a mower and I have no experience with the other models you are considering.
I use a 48” rotary cutter on about 2 acres of powerline, the FEL and a boom pole for moving logs to be cut for firewood.
The B2601 does everything that I ask it to do without hesitation. It seems plenty strong and has a lot of versatility. It is predictable, easy to operate and seems well engineered and quality made.

I haven’t had any issues with overheating. But I also do not use the PTO (2800rpm) for long periods of time. The higher rpms/PTO are only used 2-3 times a year for the acreage bush hogging. Most of the other tractor work is around 2200rpms.
You can take off the engine side panel screens for additional airflow, but it probably will introduce more debris in the engine area.
With the R4 tires, I have about 17” ground clearance in the middle of the tractor.

Hope this helps

Vann

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: I'd probably rip away the HST cooling fan.

HOW can you do that ?

I've got 900 hrs on my 3 year old BX23S, no MMM 'protection' and it's spent 2/3rds of it's working life in the bush, cooling fan is protected by a nice factory added guard.
I don't baby the beastie and still have all the fins on the fan.

I usually run 2500-3000 for most chores, PTO+ to get to the job sites. Never had over heating issues.