Which box blade for L3301?

Which box blade for L3301HST?

• Total voters

philb1010

Equipment
May 18, 2019
Georgia
Which box blade should I get for my L3301HST tractor? I think I want a 66". I want something reasonably versatile to work with both soft and hard dirt, etc., and I'd rather not have to ballast the tires since I won't always want that extra weight on there.

I was planning to go with Land Pride since I'd get a discount when I buy it along with the tractor. I found this to reference:

https://www.kubotausa.com/docs/default-source/lp-pdfs/03-standard-l-series-lp-implements.pdf

I'm down to these 3:

BB1266 (370 lbs.)
BB1566 (450 lbs.)
BB2566 (500 lbs.)

What would you do and why?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I would stick with the medium or heavy duty models for your tractor.

Do they all have the same number of scarifiers and are they pinned?

Some models use the clips for the scarifiers, which I wouldn't advise.

philb1010

Equipment
May 18, 2019
Georgia

Looks like all the 66" ones have 5 scarifiers and I'm pretty sure they're adjusted with pins and not clips.

One concern with the more heavy duty ones is the weight I guess, considering I won't have tire ballast. I don't want to have to constantly fiddle with the 3-point lift height to keep it from digging too aggressively and making my tires spin. I'd rather just be able to let it float on the ground most of the time. I've worked with old-timey scrapes and such but not box blades, so maybe that concern isn't warranted...?

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
One concern with the more heavy duty ones is the weight I guess, considering I won't have tire ballast. I don't want to have to constantly fiddle with the 3-point lift height to keep it from digging too aggressively and making my tires spin. I'd rather just be able to let it float on the ground most of the time. I've worked with old-timey scrapes and such but not box blades, so maybe that concern isn't warranted...?
That's more a matter of top link length, controlling the angle/aggressiveness of the cutting edge, than the weight of the box blade. On a box blade, when you lengthen the top link, it lifts the front cutting edge and lowers the rear cutting edge. At that point, the rear cutting edge helps float the box blade, by keeping the front cutting edge from digging. Shorten the top link and the opposite happens.
Lengthening the top link makes a box blade decent at final grade, by knocking down windrows of gravel, and dirt etc. by letting the inside/backside of the rear cutting edge, to grade/level it out.

I would go for the heaviest you can get.
The heavier blade is most likely made from thicker gauge steel, or has more reinforcement, in the places you would want it.

Your machine has plenty of lift capacity, even for a blade twice as heavy as what you have listed.

Last edited:

philb1010

Equipment
May 18, 2019
Georgia

That's more a matter of top link length, controlling the angle/aggressiveness of the cutting edge, than the weight of the box blade.
Makes sense. Glad to know I shouldn't worry about its being too heavy. It seems most people say the heavier the better.

Last edited:

hiho silver

Equipment
Orange Tractor L3901
Nov 28, 2016
Midwest US
Agree on the stronger unit. The sales page for box blades says the 2566 is for 25-55 hp tractors.

Understand the L3301 is towards the bottom of this range. But it is built strong enough to withstand the pull/torque/abuse of a much higher hp tractor. Extra reinforcing gussets, etc.

And then there are 7 scarifiers versus 4 on the 15 series.

You list 66" on all 3 bb, so all 3 would pull the same with the scarifiers up. Absolutely recommend the 2566 if your budget allows.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Measure your outside rear wheel spacing and buy accrdingly.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Here is an alternative. Heavier, allows you to flip the rippers to be engaged with a single pull of a lever from the tractor seat. Literally only takes seconds. No need to be getting on-off the tractor to change what function you want the box to do. Scrape, scarify, smooth, all can be set from the tractor's seat.

Just another option to be considered IMO. ;)

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
Yeah, I think 66" -- same width as the loader bucket I'm getting -- will cover the tracks with a little cushion for error, and I'm thinking 72" would be unnecessarily wide for my purposes.
I doubt it. My bet is that you're far more likely to regret not getting the 72" vs the other way around.

philb1010

Equipment
May 18, 2019
Georgia
I doubt it. My bet is that you're far more likely to regret not getting the 72" vs the other way around.
You may be right but I hope not. :) I guess the 66" was a compromise of sorts. My objectives were to (1) easily cover the wheel tracks and (2) maximize digging depth before losing traction. I assume the 72" would be just a little harder to pull through hard ground, although probably not much. I also have a few spots where narrower is better to get in there, not to mention the doorway to where I will be parking the tractor, sometimes with the box blade attached if possible, and 72" there would be a real squeeze.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
With the suggested models, me using my dad's MRL3572 on my little L doesnt look very promising.

I want to say it weights around 1000 lbs. I am hoping to get it down to my place within the month.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
I use a LP 66 inch box blade on my L3301. Just a tad wider than the tires. There are less expensive ones but I wanted orange.
All the used ones in my area at the time were too small or way too big

Last edited:

philb1010

Equipment
May 18, 2019
Georgia
I use a LP 66 inch box blade on my L3301. There are less expensive ones but I wanted orange.
All the used ones in my area at the time were too small or way too big
Should be receiving my tractor with BB next week, I hope. The first job will probably be to improve drainage around the barn. Anyway, good to hear somebody else has this setup.

Which 66" model BB do you have? I assume it works well for you...? Any tips on the L3301 and/or the blade? (Anybody else please chime in, too.)

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
Should be receiving my tractor with BB next week, I hope. The first job will probably be to improve drainage around the barn. Anyway, good to hear somebody else has this setup.

Which 66" model BB do you have? I assume it works well for you...? Any tips on the L3301 and/or the blade? (Anybody else please chime in, too.)
It's the Kubota 1566, wanted all to match.
Only tip I have is use the scarifers to break up the hard ground and angle to the front when grabbing dirt. Then to smooth , angle to the rear so the roll of the back blade does the smoothing when going forward but I back drag with FEL for smooth. Also don't get in a hurry, move slow but keep power up. If you have a big area , rent a bobcat with a blade or small dozer are better options. Don't ask me how I know but I am retired so time is much more available than money.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Why not give your neighbors to the north a call at everything attachments. Great stuff that is very well built. May get a better deal and you could save the shipping cost by picking it up in NC? They do, offer free shipping within 1000 miles.

https://www.everythingattachments.com/Tractor-Box-Blades-Box-Scraper-Grader-Box-s/85.htm

I have their 60" BB. Very well built, and painted kubota orange too. Was quite a bit less $ than LP.
Dirty beat me to it. I second the EA recommendation.