Where does this bearing go?

Big Trees

Aug 28, 2015
Texas
Hello everybody, I have a B6000 that I'm rebuilding the steering box but I can't seem to figure out where the bearing (#45 in pic) is supposed to go.

By the diagram it appears it's supposed to go on the outside of the steering post (#20 in pic) but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to seat it into the hole on the top of the steering box or not. It won't fit unless it's seated somewhere.

I'm stuck until I can figure out where it needs to go so I'd really appreciate any and all help I can get. Thanks in advance.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
#020 looks like it's the outer sleeve. #030 looks like a bearing that is pressed into the top of the sleeve.

Just my read of that.

jfnewell1965

Equipment
B6200D
Aug 19, 2014
Katy, TX
www.jfnewell.com
Big Trees,

Mine was a B6200...a bit different, but then all the instructions you will find will cover a slightly different type.

I have included a drawing that sort of details what is going on as concerns the shaft and the bearings.

What I hope you get from this is that the lower outer race and the upper outer race are pressed into the lower case and the upper steering tube.

If you have not gotten the old outer races out, then you will not see where the new ones get pushed in. For my top one, it looked like it was all one part of the steering tube.

The second drawing shows in general what I think is going on with your steering tube. I am thinking you need to get the old outer race, shim(s), and oil seal out of the steering tube before you can put the new ones back in.

I am kind of guessing on the shims(s), because mine are done differently.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

Big Trees

Aug 28, 2015
Texas
Thank you both very much for the replies! I'm on my phone some please forgive the quick response, I will explain further when I get back to the pc. I have rebuilt my 8n steering box so I'm familiar with the General process but with this steering tube( #20) it seems like the race is still in there but the bottom cup part of race isn't there. Looks like it's part of the tube like was mentioned above my current post. I've tried to cut it hoping to pry it out but I started doubting if I was doing the right thing.

Thank you all!!

jfnewell1965

Equipment
B6200D
Aug 19, 2014
Katy, TX
www.jfnewell.com
Here is a little more detail.

In Picture 1 I show that the oil seal and outer race were all mucked up, and I was convinced it was one piece.

I had to dig the seal out.

Once the seal was out, see picture 2, I bent a rod to the right angle, and was able to tap on the rod to get the bearing race out.

As I recall, the bearing resisted my every effort, and then once the seal was dug out, and the rod placed against it, it popped out with no effort with a single tap of the hammer.

Please Note!!!! Mine is a B6200. For all I know the B6000 were different. However, I have looked at the kits, and I am pretty convinced the upper race comes out like all other versions.

Attachments

Last edited:

Big Trees

Aug 28, 2015
Texas
Thanks again for your reply and help. I thought at first that the bearing should be pressed up into the steering tube but it turned out my second thought was the correct one. I went up by the mechanic shop and my mechanic said it was supposed to be pressed down into the steering box at the top of the box.

I appreciate both of you for your response. If anybody else has this issue hopefully this thread will help them figure it out.

Thanks guys

Big Trees

Aug 28, 2015
Texas
Could you please post pictures so future thread viewers can see the difference between the two?
The box is back together and on the tractor. I don't think I took any pics either. I'll look through my phone and see and if I did I'll post them. It's pretty straight forward though, the small bearing and race goes in the bottom of the box in the cup and the top race and bearing sits in the top hole of the steering box, right on top of the steering shaft gear.

Big Trees

Aug 28, 2015
Texas
Could you please post pictures so future thread viewers can see the difference between the two?
I've looked through my pics and I do not have any of the steering tube (pn#20) but I do have one of the steering box as I was taking it apart a couple of weeks ago. I have a green arrow pointing to where the race needs to be seated.

jfnewell1965

Equipment
B6200D
Aug 19, 2014
Katy, TX
www.jfnewell.com
OK...so if I understand correctly, both the lower and upper race get seated into the lower steering box...?

Does this mean the steering shaft becomes "trapped" between the two bearings?

I am imagining you putting in the lower bearing, inserting the steering shaft, and then putting in the upper bearing.

Is this right?

Big Trees

Aug 28, 2015
Texas
IMO, the steering "box" is the bottom part, not the steering tube (#20). So, taking that into consideration, the bottom race gets seated into the BOTTOM of the box and the top race gets seated into the TOP of the box (green arrows).
The shaft does become "trapped" by the races. Hope that clarifies everything.