When to use dirt after tilling?

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
We are planning on planting some wind screen trees this November.

Any issues with me tilling the area now or would it make the soil too hard? Also, depending on the answer I get, I might as well till the garden for next spring while I have it.

It’ll be either a 4 or 5’ Land Pride rental. They have a pair of B26’s so my little L should have no issues.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
How does tilling the soil make it too hard?

If you are transplanting larger trees and moving them by hand tilled solid will make it hard for you to move the trees around - especially if are using a wheel dolly.

Biltit

May 29, 2018
SK
Tilling causes soil compaction. Tilling is still the quickest way to amend/turn soil though. You can till or not till really, depends on the state of the soil. If planting trees there is really no need to till, just dig up the spot where you wish to plant.

Not sure where you are but here, planting in nov would be frozen ground most likely. I woild probably till to loosen it up.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Tilling causes soil compaction. Tilling is still the quickest way to amend/turn soil though. You can till or not till really, depends on the state of the soil. If planting trees there is really no need to till, just dig up the spot where you wish to plant.

Not sure where you are but here, planting in nov would be frozen ground most likely. I woild probably till to loosen it up.

They are going to be bare root saplings. The seller/ grower doesn’t release them until November.

Biltit

May 29, 2018
SK
I assume you are planting a fair amount? I would till, atleast till the spots you wish to plant in.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
How big are the saplings? I have planted saplings when reclaiming in a coal mine with a spud bar. Stab it into the ground and move it back and forth to create some space, insert the tree, remove the spud bar and take the heal of your boot to close the hole. Repeat for hundreds of times in a day.

If the trees are bigger the tiller is only going at the most 8-9 inches deep, which is to shallow for larger trees.

As far as your garden we would cover the ground with leaves, grass clippings, kitchen scraps (no meats), saw dust, stove ashes or any other organic material and let it rot over the winter. In the spring turn the soil by plowing and disking or tilling to start the cycle all over again.

Do not forget to check your ph and amend the soil as needed.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Thanks guys. It***8217;s around 300***8217; or so.

Saplings are maybe 3***8217;.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
if the tress will be in a row, use a 1row plow long the treeline. makes it easy and fast to plant and recover.

for the garden.... till and then sow Rye,then make one pass with empty 'lawn roller'. Come Spring, just plow under.
I 'oversow' by about a factor of 8. Rye comes up fast, chokes out weeds,keeps
garden soil IN the garden, fresh, organic Nitrogen in the Spring

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Might run a sub-soiler down the future tree row a time or two. It will open the ground, allow some moisture down deep, break any roots, but not make it difficult to work around.

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
Not sure that tilling the soil will make much difference as you wont go that deep to impact the tree roots. I would just dig the hole where you want to plant. We plant late October or end of April too, as most trees are dormant then so there is little shock to the tree. Dig the hole deep and wide and make sure to back fill with what you removed. A good layer of mulch on top to protect it from colder temps through the winter and a stake to protect it from being bent over by the snow. Bare root trees don't suffer from the same issues as potted trees, and while they are smaller they will be healthier trees long term. If you need to correct the soil that should be done prior, months preferably, this way it can balance out.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
if the tress will be in a row, use a 1row plow long the treeline. makes it easy and fast to plant and recover.

for the garden.... till and then sow Rye,then make one pass with empty 'lawn roller'. Come Spring, just plow under.
I 'oversow' by about a factor of 8. Rye comes up fast, chokes out weeds,keeps
garden soil IN the garden, fresh, organic Nitrogen in the Spring
I do similar for my garden though I plant oats. In the spring when they take off I mow them putting organic mater back in the soil, repeat until ready to plant the garden.

I also add leaves to mine garden during the winter just not too deep that the oats can't grow.

For our not so good soil here in eastern NC adding organic mater back in is critical for a good crop.

As for planting my brother who is a landscaper says dig hole 4 x the size of the root ball. Now they plant some 96" root ball trees so there they do not dig a hole 4 x but do allow for a couple of feet for the roots to grow in softer soil.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Tilling for trees isn't something I would do.

The loosened soil doesn't really go deep enough for tree roots, and the tilled soil will just expose weed seeds that are better off left to lay.

The ripper might save some shovel work. When I plant a few trees, I use a clam shell post hole digger.

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
i used to get a worker to insert the trees while i used a plow attachment to roll the dirt apart. but have the plow adjusted, so the dirt would fall back in place as the tractor moved forward. assistant just inserted the trees in the split, before the ground fell back. when returning for the next row, i ran the large tire along side of the seedlings to pack the ground. so the roots wouldn't dry out.. survival rate was better than hiring a crew to hand plant...